Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

  1. #1
    alhoon's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chania, Greece
    Posts
    21,158

    Default USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    After some discussion in a different thread, I was keeping an eye out about possible "voter suppression" in USA in lieu of the coming elections.

    And I found this: https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/v...analysis-finds

    Apparently, after some SCOTUS ruling in 2013, "voter purge", removing people from the rolls (for any reason including death, moving away etc), has jumped up significantly, reaching 17M voters. While this is alarming by itself, what is downright suspicious is that after the SCOTUS stripped some protection from districts with a history of discriminations, those districts are purging voters 40% faster and that this 40% alone counts for 1.1 million votes. Again, those 1.1 million "extra" purged votes are in districts with a history of discrimination.
    According to the study, the counties under federal supervision before the 2013 ruling were purging at the same rate as the rest of the country more or less. Once out of federal supervision, those counties jumped up and according to the numbers in the study this trend has not diminished. As the study explains it was not a "one time jump", they purge in higher numbers since they are out of supervision.

    The link provided has a map that shows the counties that are affected most.

    Do you think this voter purge spike is suspicious? Or it's just better "cleaning of house" now that the states have the "tools they need" to be able to do a better job? The study mentions that minority voters are more likely to be affected but doesn't present numbers about this. If someone has numbers it would help.
    DIE: Diversity, Inclusion, Equality (Pun on SJWs, I am not far-right)
    _______________________________________________________
    Beta-tester for Darthmod Empire, the default modification for Empire Total War that does not ask for your money behind patreon.

    Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

  2. #2
    JP226's Avatar Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,960

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    Maine, Wisconsin, and Idaho have a history of discrimination?

  3. #3

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    One might want to look at it reason by reason. I have no idea what excuses there are for what reasons, but moving away is a hilariously normal reason and it's usually coordinated between States as voters register at their new location.

    So...that in mind....what's the spike in data and numbers?
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

  4. #4
    Elfdude's Avatar The Blue Spirit
    Patrician Citizen Censor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,333

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    Yes. It's voter suppression. Maybe not all of it, but yes the size and areas affected are definitively a smoking gun of attempting to change an election via artificial intervention in the polling process. This is not the only form of voter suppression either. Look at polling places by district, strangely thousands of polling places no longer exist in the US since the same SCOTUS ruling, polling places in districts which are associated with historic discrimination are amongst the bulk of those reductions.

    We could go on here Alhoon. Most Americans accept to some degree there's truth to it though they may dispute the size of the issue.
    "Pride is not the antidote of Shame but its source, humility is its only true antidote." - Iroh

    "
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    @ Elfdude, I don't give a for your condescending appraisal of my strategy. You haven't addresses a single point because I think you're unable to. I'm embarrassed for you honestly. Never has somebody so pathetically claimed the moral high ground. Piss poor debating, piss poor. I accept your surrender. Absolutely pathetic. Phalera my ass.
    When all else fails insult your opponents.

  5. #5

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    ^ heaven forbid we don't have a bunch of dead people and illegal immigrants stealing identities to vote for democrats. How ever will any of them ever be elected again? This is the same stupid argument that will posit that blacks are too stupid to find a DMV or government building to be issued an ID in order to vote because muh racism and muh voter suppression.

  6. #6
    Elfdude's Avatar The Blue Spirit
    Patrician Citizen Censor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,333

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    ^ heaven forbid we don't have a bunch of dead people and illegal immigrants stealing identities to vote for democrats. How ever will any of them ever be elected again? This is the same stupid argument that will posit that blacks are too stupid to find a DMV or government building to be issued an ID in order to vote because muh racism and muh voter suppression.
    This level of debate is so base there's not much to be said in response. You're attempting to defend obvious voter fraud by strawmanning an argument into something you think is ridiculous despite you knowing that has nothing to do with the statements being made. We've not even gotten into protected class discrimination we've really only talked about district wide manipulations but I guess since you've brought it up how do you feel about the attempt to remove sexual orientation as part of the protected classes?

    https://www.newsweek.com/trump-justi...rights-1455977
    "Pride is not the antidote of Shame but its source, humility is its only true antidote." - Iroh

    "
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    @ Elfdude, I don't give a for your condescending appraisal of my strategy. You haven't addresses a single point because I think you're unable to. I'm embarrassed for you honestly. Never has somebody so pathetically claimed the moral high ground. Piss poor debating, piss poor. I accept your surrender. Absolutely pathetic. Phalera my ass.
    When all else fails insult your opponents.

  7. #7

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    The Republicans know they cannot win fair elections anymore. Their platform (white supremacy with a fig leaf over it, the rich should be made even richer no matter the cost to everyone else, locking children up for life for the sadistic enjoyment of their base, climate change denial to benefit big polluters and Russia) holds absolutely no attraction to anyone who isn't a white supremacist, sadist, rich, or Russian national. So they now depend on cheating (voter suppression, election fraud) and Russian help to win.

  8. #8
    alhoon's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chania, Greece
    Posts
    21,158

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    ^ heaven forbid we don't have a bunch of dead people and illegal immigrants stealing identities to vote for democrats. How ever will any of them ever be elected again? This is the same stupid argument that will posit that blacks are too stupid to find a DMV or government building to be issued an ID in order to vote because muh racism and muh voter suppression.
    While I admit this is to an extend the case...
    how come that once the ruling was removed, some districts had a 40% increase for six consecutive years (3 elections)?! Districts historically associated with discrimination that is.
    Do people die 40% more often in these districts since 2013?

    Also, I seem to recall that illegal immigrants are estimated at 10-12M people. How many of them would risk trying to vote using stolen identities? A few hundred thousand perhaps. How about all the rest of the voters purged?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    The Republicans know they cannot win fair elections anymore. Their platform (white supremacy with a fig leaf over it, the rich should be made even richer no matter the cost to everyone else, locking children up for life for the sadistic enjoyment of their base, climate change denial to benefit big polluters and Russia) holds absolutely no attraction to anyone who isn't a white supremacist, sadist, rich, or Russian national. So they now depend on cheating (voter suppression, election fraud) and Russian help to win.
    To be fair, I am sure the democrats would do the same if they could or do so in places they can. But states with large rural populations - the areas Democrats would discriminate against - are in the hands of the Republicans.

    Also to be fair, in the case of both Rep and Dem, I am not sure is widespread voter suppression starting at the high levels. I believe it is more "not a priority to look after the voting and polling stations and procedures in districts that don't support us" kind of thing.

    I.e. I don't think the Republicans are actually gathering in one dark room and laugh evilly while thinking how to make it harder for X voter group to vote. Same for Democrats.
    What I believe is that it is a matter of costs and priorities.
    "Let's reduce costs!"
    "OK how?"
    "Ehh... hey! I how about reducing polling stations? Do we really need that many?"

    Answer A. "Are you mad?! These people vote for us!"
    Answer B. "You are right. How much would it hurt to remove a handful of polling stations anyway? We will show how fiscally responsible we are! Now since those buttholes around polling stations 13, 14 and 15 didn't vote for us but for the OTHER guys, let's shut down polling station 14."
    Last edited by alhoon; September 10, 2019 at 04:54 AM.
    DIE: Diversity, Inclusion, Equality (Pun on SJWs, I am not far-right)
    _______________________________________________________
    Beta-tester for Darthmod Empire, the default modification for Empire Total War that does not ask for your money behind patreon.

    Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

  9. #9

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfdude View Post
    This level of debate is so base there's not much to be said in response. You're attempting to defend obvious voter fraud by strawmanning an argument into something you think is ridiculous despite you knowing that has nothing to do with the statements being made. We've not even gotten into protected class discrimination we've really only talked about district wide manipulations but I guess since you've brought it up how do you feel about the attempt to remove sexual orientation as part of the protected classes?

    https://www.newsweek.com/trump-justi...rights-1455977
    harumph harumph muh voter fraud is denying dmeocrats the election they deserve because minorities are too stupid to figure out anything otherwise, because the Republicans are engaging in muh voter suppression. It takes a complete idiot to be "suppressed" in the way you're calling for. Have you ever taken the subway? Travelling in the subway in Atlanta is more confusing than voting here, yet Atlanta is seen as ground zero in voter suppression for that fatass democrat female who lost the election and then about it for months on end. Obvious voter fraud is democrats refusing to purge voter rolls from dead voters and gleefully allowing illegal immigrants to steal the identities of Americans in order to vote, leech off of social benefits, and fulfill the democratic socialist moronic agenda of achieving open borders and giving all the illegals streaming across the border free healthcare. Bad meme. You should at least open a new thread with a NSFW tag where you incessantly to voter fraud covering democratic elections.

    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...curity-numbers

    Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    The Republicans know they cannot win fair elections anymore. Their platform (white supremacy with a fig leaf over it, the rich should be made even richer no matter the cost to everyone else, locking children up for life for the sadistic enjoyment of their base, climate change denial to benefit big polluters and Russia) holds absolutely no attraction to anyone who isn't a white supremacist, sadist, rich, or Russian national. So they now depend on cheating (voter suppression, election fraud) and Russian help to win.
    Your synopsis of what Republicans stand for is hilarious, wrong, and just shows how much CNN propaganda can effect discourse in this country. Everything you've brought up is conspiratorial bull crap.

    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    While I admit this is to an extend the case...
    how come that once the ruling was removed, some districts had a 40% increase for six consecutive years (3 elections)?! Districts historically associated with discrimination that is.
    Do people die 40% more often in these districts since 2013?

    Also, I seem to recall that illegal immigrants are estimated at 10-12M people. How many of them would risk trying to vote using stolen identities? A few hundred thousand perhaps. How about all the rest of the voters purged?



    To be fair, I am sure the democrats would do the same if they could or do so in places they can. But states with large rural populations - the areas Democrats would discriminate against - are in the hands of the Republicans.

    Also to be fair, in the case of both Rep and Dem, I am not sure is widespread voter suppression starting at the high levels. I believe it is more "not a priority to look after the voting and polling stations and procedures in districts that don't support us" kind of thing.

    I.e. I don't think the Republicans are actually gathering in one dark room and laugh evilly while thinking how to make it harder for X voter group to vote. Same for Democrats.
    What I believe is that it is a matter of costs and priorities.
    "Let's reduce costs!"
    "OK how?"
    "Ehh... hey! I how about reducing polling stations? Do we really need that many?"

    Answer A. "Are you mad?! These people vote for us!"
    Answer B. "You are right. How much would it hurt to remove a handful of polling stations anyway? We will show how fiscally responsible we are! Now since those buttholes around polling stations 13, 14 and 15 didn't vote for us but for the OTHER guys, let's shut down polling station 14."
    Search your sources. Are you compelled to blame one party for something at least guilty that both have? I'm not an expert on gerrymandering, but one would be led to believe that gerry mandering is basically impotent in the post-Obama years on a racial basis, which is the only basis upon which Trump has been criticized.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; September 10, 2019 at 06:26 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    Ah, glad to see the old gang back together again.

  11. #11
    Elfdude's Avatar The Blue Spirit
    Patrician Citizen Censor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,333

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Also, I seem to recall that illegal immigrants are estimated at 10-12M people. How many of them would risk trying to vote using stolen identities? A few hundred thousand perhaps. How about all the rest of the voters purged?
    No, according to all investigations the incidence of true voter fraud is countable on your fingers. There's many reasons for this, i.e. if you're stealing someone's identity and you cast a ballot, what happens when they cast a ballot? if you're using the identity of someone who is dead, what happens when you cast a ballot on their name? There's simply no real way for someone to reliably steal someone's identity in this country and since dead people's social security numbers are eventually re-issued to someone who has been born this introduces all sorts of issues as well. Ultimately it requires a social security number to vote. Some Visa holders are issued a social security number but them voting is grounds for revoking their Visa i.e. it simply put never ever happens. The type of voter fraud which occurs in this country is when someone is accidentally sent two ballots which can occur if you register to vote in two different places while ballots are being sent out or if you visit two different polling locations. In most instances even this simply results in the most recent ballot being cast replacing the older ballot, for it to truly be voter fraud one would need to vote across different state districts. Occassionally a felon votes and some states bar felons from voting. Beyond that voter fraud does not happen and it makes sense why it doesn't.

    http://zfacts.com/zfacts.com/metaPag...oter-fraud.pdf

    In a 5 year deep investigation launched by Bush only 120 or so charged, 86 convicted.

    https://open.mitchellhamline.edu/cgi...7&context=wmlr

    Impact of the myth of voter fraud on real voters

    Examination of massive voter fraud myth statistically: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dcott...raud_draft.pdf

    How the GOP has used the Justice Department to influence the myth of voter fraud https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/..._Lessons_0.pdf

    Most Hilariously - Trump's own voter fraud commission showed there was no evidence of widespread voter fraud WHOOPS
    https://www.apnews.com/f5f6a73b2af546ee97816bb35e82c18d

    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    To be fair, I am sure the democrats would do the same if they could or do so in places they can. But states with large rural populations - the areas Democrats would discriminate against - are in the hands of the Republicans.
    Yes and no, as you've stated there's plenty of states which are "blue" but have a large "red" population. Democrats (at least right now) seem to run elections rather fairly. This is likely because current voting demographics what they are democrats benefit more from running fairer elections then the fallout for attempting to rig them would give them i.e. it's worth more in terms of increased numbers of votes to run a fair election than depressing select results are when it comes to the blue vote tally.

    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Also to be fair, in the case of both Rep and Dem, I am not sure is widespread voter suppression starting at the high levels. I believe it is more "not a priority to look after the voting and polling stations and procedures in districts that don't support us" kind of thing.
    No, it is widespread voter suppression. The secretary of state is given a lump of money and told to run an election, they have plenty of resources to know how to do so fairly, any choice to not do so begs the question of why as it's both harder and more obvious when one doesn't than when one does.

    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    I.e. I don't think the Republicans are actually gathering in one dark room and laugh evilly while thinking how to make it harder for X voter group to vote. Same for Democrats.
    What I believe is that it is a matter of costs and priorities.
    "Let's reduce costs!"
    "OK how?"
    "Ehh... hey! I how about reducing polling stations? Do we really need that many?"

    Answer A. "Are you mad?! These people vote for us!"
    Answer B. "You are right. How much would it hurt to remove a handful of polling stations anyway? We will show how fiscally responsible we are! Now since those buttholes around polling stations 13, 14 and 15 didn't vote for us but for the OTHER guys, let's shut down polling station 14."
    It doesn't cost less to run an unfair election, often it costs more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    harumph harumph muh voter fraud is denying dmeocrats the election they deserve because minorities are too stupid to figure out anything otherwise, because the Republicans are engaging in muh voter suppression.
    Glad you admit it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    It takes a complete idiot to be "suppressed" in the way you're calling for.
    What part of what I'm talking about does intelligence have anything to do with anything?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Have you ever taken the subway? Travelling in the subway in Atlanta is more confusing than voting here, yet Atlanta is seen as ground zero in voter suppression for that fatass democrat female who lost the election and then about it for months on end.
    Oh jeez, you accidentally stumbled upon another form of voter suppression. Great job ponti! The difficulty of voting is not the act of voting itself but the difficulty of the logistics involved in voting. If you have to use the subway to get to the other side of town, that difficulty is much greater than if you have to walk down the street. Add in that many polling places only accept people from certain voting locations and that many states refuse to post publically the locations of their polling stations and you end up with something of a catch 22.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Obvious voter fraud is democrats refusing to purge voter rolls from dead voters and gleefully allowing illegal immigrants to steal the identities of Americans in order to vote, leech off of social benefits, and fulfill the democratic socialist moronic agenda of achieving open borders and giving all the illegals streaming across the border free healthcare.
    Never happens. Your entire premise is based on nothing and utterly vapid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Bad meme. You should at least open a new thread with a NSFW tag where you incessantly to voter fraud covering democratic elections.

    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...curity-numbers
    Hahaha, stealing a social security number does not allow one to vote and it's highly risky to use a stolen social security number to register to vote because if the real owner uses their social security to vote it becomes rather obvious that X social security number cast two ballots. Furthermore they're using these numbers to gain employment which means that they're not only paying taxes that but there's also two people contributing to the records of that social security's income making it damn near impossible to get benefits even if we assume they're getting paid the absolute minimum. Furthermore again it's highly risky to use these sorts of things for the purposes of collecting benefits because the government regularly audits its benefits rolls.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Your synopsis of what Republicans stand for is hilarious, wrong, and just shows how much CNN propaganda can effect discourse in this country. Everything you've brought up is conspiratorial bull crap.
    Which is funny is that everything policy wise your party has done is exactly what he described. I notice you haven't talked about LGBT discrimination and the argument that the GOP is making to the supreme court that sexual orientation discrimination is not protected.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Search your sources. Are you compelled to blame one party for something at least guilty that both have? I'm not an expert on gerrymandering, but one would be led to believe that gerry mandering is basically impotent in the post-Obama years on a racial basis, which is the only basis upon which Trump has been criticized.
    Gerrymandering is not impotent in post obama years, it's actually some of the most severe today that we've ever seen. Gerrymandering only involves selectivity in drawing districts to concentrate your opponents, spread out your supporters and then in turn serve the districts you prefer better. This works very well when you combine it with telling people they can't vote in a different district than they live (even if the polling station they go to is the nearest one to their home).

    Your argument is a bit terrible ponti, you merely stated nuh uh, tried to mis-use a piece of data (stolen social security numbers) to implicate voter fraud but utterly failed to make any tangible connection. You can do better than that! Although you'll probably find nothing to support your views directly because they only work when you allude to the connections because said connections don't exist.
    "Pride is not the antidote of Shame but its source, humility is its only true antidote." - Iroh

    "
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    @ Elfdude, I don't give a for your condescending appraisal of my strategy. You haven't addresses a single point because I think you're unable to. I'm embarrassed for you honestly. Never has somebody so pathetically claimed the moral high ground. Piss poor debating, piss poor. I accept your surrender. Absolutely pathetic. Phalera my ass.
    When all else fails insult your opponents.

  12. #12
    Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    12,249

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    The basic procedure to be purged from a voter roll is to not vote in a single election for 6 years (that's 3 federal elections and as many as 6 local elections) and to not respond to notifications that you have not voted all those years and could be purged from the voter rolls.

    Seems like a fair procedure if you are going to keep voter lists up to date.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

    -Ella Hill

  13. #13
    Elfdude's Avatar The Blue Spirit
    Patrician Citizen Censor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,333

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    That is not the basic procedure, the procedure varies from state to state. In Oregon if you miss two elections in a row you're purged automatically. These are extra-procedural purges.
    "Pride is not the antidote of Shame but its source, humility is its only true antidote." - Iroh

    "
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    @ Elfdude, I don't give a for your condescending appraisal of my strategy. You haven't addresses a single point because I think you're unable to. I'm embarrassed for you honestly. Never has somebody so pathetically claimed the moral high ground. Piss poor debating, piss poor. I accept your surrender. Absolutely pathetic. Phalera my ass.
    When all else fails insult your opponents.

  14. #14
    Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    12,249

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfdude View Post
    That is not the basic procedure, the procedure varies from state to state. In Oregon if you miss two elections in a row you're purged automatically. These are extra-procedural purges.
    You do not appear to be accurate

    https://secure.sos.state.or.us/oard/...eVrsnRsn=24634

    In accordance with ORS 247.013(6) the registration of a voter who has neither voted nor updated their registration for a period of not less than five years shall not be considered inactive until such time as:

    (1) The voter has neither voted nor updated their registration for a period of ten years; and

    (2) The county clerk has mailed the notice described in ORS 247.563 to the voter.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

    -Ella Hill

  15. #15
    Elfdude's Avatar The Blue Spirit
    Patrician Citizen Censor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,333

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    My bad you used to be able to become inactive far easier in Oregon, in 2017 the legislature passed changes which prevented purges before the 2018 election which I hadn't kept up to date on. They extended the deadline to 10 years. However you do get your registration purged after missing two elections once you're inactive now so at least that portion is the same.

    https://sos.oregon.gov/voting-elections/Documents/Voter-Status-FAQ.pdf


    My main point (purging rules change state to state) still stands. Furthermore it seems like a secretary of state can make up any directive regarding this as far as I can tell with the voting rights act no longer in play which used to limit it.
    "Pride is not the antidote of Shame but its source, humility is its only true antidote." - Iroh

    "
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    @ Elfdude, I don't give a for your condescending appraisal of my strategy. You haven't addresses a single point because I think you're unable to. I'm embarrassed for you honestly. Never has somebody so pathetically claimed the moral high ground. Piss poor debating, piss poor. I accept your surrender. Absolutely pathetic. Phalera my ass.
    When all else fails insult your opponents.

  16. #16

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    One of the first priorities a new Democratic administration should have is a new Voting Rights Act that will empower the government to oversee (and if necessary, completely take over) the elections of states the Republicans are trying to cheat in.

  17. #17

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    After some discussion in a different thread, I was keeping an eye out about possible "voter suppression" in USA in lieu of the coming elections.

    And I found this: https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/v...analysis-finds

    Apparently, after some SCOTUS ruling in 2013, "voter purge", removing people from the rolls (for any reason including death, moving away etc), has jumped up significantly, reaching 17M voters. While this is alarming by itself, what is downright suspicious is that after the SCOTUS stripped some protection from districts with a history of discriminations, those districts are purging voters 40% faster and that this 40% alone counts for 1.1 million votes. Again, those 1.1 million "extra" purged votes are in districts with a history of discrimination.
    According to the study, the counties under federal supervision before the 2013 ruling were purging at the same rate as the rest of the country more or less. Once out of federal supervision, those counties jumped up and according to the numbers in the study this trend has not diminished. As the study explains it was not a "one time jump", they purge in higher numbers since they are out of supervision.

    The link provided has a map that shows the counties that are affected most.

    Do you think this voter purge spike is suspicious? Or it's just better "cleaning of house" now that the states have the "tools they need" to be able to do a better job? The study mentions that minority voters are more likely to be affected but doesn't present numbers about this. If someone has numbers it would help.

    Not at all.. Given the massive number of illegal aliens in this country, it is inevitable that some of them will end up as voters, especially when the Democrats have a very vested interest in ensuring they can vote. If you are a local Democratic official, you will welcome these illegal voters, since they almost certainly will vote Democrat. These local officials will have no interest in making sure illegals don't vote.

    Another factor is given how much Americans move around, people are very likely to be registered to vote in more than one place. Registering to vote in a new location doesn't automatically guarantee you will be removed from the voting rolls in your old location. If you change your name at the same time you moved, ai can easily see your old location not getting the message you moved.

  18. #18
    Elfdude's Avatar The Blue Spirit
    Patrician Citizen Censor

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,333

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    Please tell me how an undocumented immigrant can vote in ANY election, I'd love to hear it. Voting uses your social security number which does not change with your name.
    "Pride is not the antidote of Shame but its source, humility is its only true antidote." - Iroh

    "
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    @ Elfdude, I don't give a for your condescending appraisal of my strategy. You haven't addresses a single point because I think you're unable to. I'm embarrassed for you honestly. Never has somebody so pathetically claimed the moral high ground. Piss poor debating, piss poor. I accept your surrender. Absolutely pathetic. Phalera my ass.
    When all else fails insult your opponents.

  19. #19

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfdude View Post
    Please tell me how an undocumented immigrant can vote in ANY election, I'd love to hear it. Voting uses your social security number which does not change with your name.
    Prove that they can't. In California, they make it very hard to challenge any potential voter, and there are large number of people whonwork very hard at allowing illegal aliens tonstay in the country and get them driver license and other documentation. Voter registration is notntird into social security, youncsn still vote even if you don't have a social security car. ID like driver license and passports don't have you social security number and identity theft is rampant.

    You don't think that someone with a little money couldn't get a forged set of ID ifnthey wanted. That they xouldn't get get a social security number from either a deceased person or another person living Ina different state? Do you think states check all the social security numbers of their voters against registered voters in other states? As long as they only use the SSN to register to vote, and not for any money, it won't raise any flags u less the state checks with all 49 other states whether or not it is being used, and I very much doubt they do. As far as I know, there is no national registry by SSN of a thr nation voters by state, can you point to me to such a digital data base?

    If there is not such a digital data base, how would any state know whether that SSN was being used to register s voter in another state? Most ofnthr time SSN fraud is only flagged when someone tries to collect so ial security money from it.

  20. #20

    Default Re: USA Voter registry purges - possible suppression?

    Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Prove that they can't. In California, they make it very hard to challenge any potential voter, and there are large number of people whonwork very hard at allowing illegal aliens tonstay in the country and get them driver license and other documentation. Voter registration is notntird into social security, youncsn still vote even if you don't have a social security car. ID like driver license and passports don't have you social security number and identity theft is rampant.

    You don't think that someone with a little money couldn't get a forged set of ID ifnthey wanted. That they xouldn't get get a social security number from either a deceased person or another person living Ina different state? Do you think states check all the social security numbers of their voters against registered voters in other states? As long as they only use the SSN to register to vote, and not for any money, it won't raise any flags u less the state checks with all 49 other states whether or not it is being used, and I very much doubt they do. As far as I know, there is no national registry by SSN of a thr nation voters by state, can you point to me to such a digital data base?

    If there is not such a digital data base, how would any state know whether that SSN was being used to register s voter in another state? Most ofnthr time SSN fraud is only flagged when someone tries to collect so ial security money from it.
    I don't think that the scope of the "problem" necessitates such a response, especially when it may negatively impact voter turnout. Moreover, to your earlier post, considering the "massive number of illegal aliens in this country", how many have actually voted over the years?

    Then there are other angles of the problem to consider. Like "Dreamers" who are more American and more driven than many actual "Americans", but who are unable to vote. Or the hundreds of thousands of Americans who are unable to vote on specific election days, or the obscure registration days... Or the fact that as somebody who's volunteered for municipal government, many government employees themselves are not fully cognizant of all the procedures when it comes to voting. To say little of the thousands of homeless and illiterate who can't even look up the information. Their voices often go unheard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •