Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Illinois college student charged with hate crime for placing noose on campus

Default Re: Illinois college student charged with hate crime for placing noose on campus

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    God this is ridiculous, I hope she him it sues the out of the school.
    I think it’s funny how you automatically take the student’s side.

Odenat's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Illinois college student charged with hate crime for placing noose on campus

When i see the latest news coming from USA, i remember a great story told to us by our history teacher at the high school; He said "When Turkish army surrounded their capital Constantinople, Byzantians were fighting each other about this subject ; are the angels male or female?" Then, he recommended us to not forget the important things in the life because of trivial things.

While USA is fighting itself, Chinese fleet is taking control of Pasific Ocean, India is sending landers to moon etc. Maybe US public and media must take some history lessons.
    Last edited by Odenat; September 07, 2019 at 01:39 AM.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Tying a noose is bad taste but in this situation it doesn't seem like he was trying to invoke racial hate as much as he made a poor descion.

Nooses can be offensive depending on their context. This case doesn't seem to be that way but i still wouldn't go around tying nooses or hanging nooses from various places.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    I think it’s funny how you automatically take the student’s side.
    Tying a knot in a length of rope is not a crime, nevermind a hate crime. Salem witch trials levels of paranoia have been reached on our college campuses.
    Last edited by Big War Bird; September 07, 2019 at 04:32 PM.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Tiro

Tying a knot in a length of rope is not a crime, nevermind a hate crime. Salem witch trials levels of paranoia have been reached on our college campuses.
    https://infogalactic.com/info/Civil_Rights_Act

The snowball kept a rolling.
    Gornahoor|Liber esse, scientiam acquirere, veritatum loqui
    Crow states: "If you would be a great leader, then learn the way of the Tao. Relinquish the need to control. Let go of plans and of concepts. The world will govern itself. The more restrictive you are, the less virtuous people will be. The more force you display, the less secure they will feel. The more subsidies you provide, the less self-reliant they become. Therefore the master says: Un-write the law, thus the people become honest. Dispense with economics, thus the people become prosperous. Do without religion, thus the people become serene. Let go all desire for the common good, and the good becomes as common as the grass." ~ Lao Tzu - Tao te tching
    MONARCHY NATION TRANSCENDENCE

Are you saying that there isn't a statute that fits the charge, or are you saying that it shouldn't be a hate crime?

Apply Ockham's razor, What is more likely, he she it saw a length of rope and thought, I will tie a noose in that rope and the next person to see it will be a little creeped out. Or he she it thought I will tie a noose in that rope, black students will be scared to come to class, because, well, "damn those !"

In the absence of strong evidence for the later, I'm sticking with the former.
    Last edited by Big War Bird; September 09, 2019 at 07:50 AM.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Apply Ockham's razor, What is more likely, he she it saw a length of rope and thought, I will tie a noose in that rope and the next person to see it will be a little creeped out. Or he she it thought I will tie a noose in that rope, black students will be scared to come to class, because, well, "damn those !"

I prefer waiting to see what the justice system determines. I don't have the necessary facts or context to determine whether the student is wrongly accused or not.

Are you saying we don't have a justice system capable of applying relevant evidence?
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

As we have seen happen in the UK, social justice perverts justice.

-Ella Hill

And racism perverts the American system. So it appears we’re all square.

And racism perverts the American system. So it appears we’re all square.
    Two wrongs do not make a right.

-Ella Hill

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Are you saying we don't have a justice system capable of applying relevant evidence?
    Your country has established that JFK has been killed by a Carcano Modello 91/38 purchased by mail order ..

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Diocle; September 10, 2019 at 03:02 PM.

Two wrongs do not make a right.
    No, but it certainly puts any criticism of the justice system into its proper context. If you want to argue how "social justice" has destroyed basic political freedoms, I'd at least wait for the actual outcome. Speaking of which, it's been a week and I haven't heard anything.

No, but it certainly puts any criticism of the justice system into its proper context.
    I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. Are you saying we should administer "justice" based on skin color?

If you want to argue how "social justice" has destroyed basic political freedoms, I'd at least wait for the actual outcome. Speaking of which, it's been a week and I haven't heard anything.
    Have you ever heard the phrase,"the process is the punishment?" Likely we will never hear anything of this, with charges quietly dropped. Nevertheless this young itling has been slandered nationally as a monster and menace, hounded off campus by SJWs eager to scourge the wrongthinkers.

-Ella Hill

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. Are you saying we should administer "justice" based on skin color?
    My point is that if there is a serious criticism to be levied against the justice system, one should point to its history and current allegations of institutional racism.

Have you ever heard the phrase,"the process is the punishment?" Likely we will never hear anything of this, with charges quietly dropped. Nevertheless this young itling has been slandered nationally as a monster and menace, hounded off campus by SJWs eager to scourge the wrongthinkers.
    Dude, you don't even know all the facts of the case, yet somehow presume that he is "punished" for no reason. This is just as bad as leftists who are clanging for the student's "beheading" (metaphorically, of course).

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

I guess this court sentence is an overreaction too for a innocent cross burning because it was only a joke?

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rs/2280764001/
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

My point is that if there is a serious criticism to be levied against the justice system, one should point to its history and current allegations of institutional racism.
    Our justice system ought to judge each case based solely on the facts and the law of each particular case. the only valid criticism is when it does not maintain that procedure. I'm pretty certain that you are not really interested in upholding that standard. I'm guessing what you are really after is to subordinate consistent procedure in which the outcome of trials is guided by some sort of demographic equity.

Dude, you don't even know all the facts of the case, yet somehow presume that he is "punished" for no reason.
    I've already answered this. In the absence of decisive evidence, what is more likely, momentary mischievousness, of malicious hatred?

BTW the only evidence we have on this crucial point is that the woman that reported him said he thought about what he was to do for 30 seconds. The evidence, such as it is, supports my interpretation.

-Ella Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Tying a noose is bad taste but in this situation it doesn't seem like he was trying to invoke racial hate as much as he made a poor descion.

Nooses can be offensive depending on their context. This case doesn't seem to be that way but i still wouldn't go around tying nooses or hanging nooses from various places.
    There are some things you should not joke about. Claiming you yelled "Fire" in a crowded theater as a joke isn't going to cut you much slack with a judge, and explaining it was just a case of poor decision making when you talked about killing the President won't prevent you from getting into a lot of trouble as a result. While a felony seems rather extreme, given the abuse this dumb has been used in the past a token fine isn't enough to drive home just how serious an offense this was.

See how far "I was just joking about killing the President" defense will get you. Maybe a felony is necessary to drive home the fact this kind of behaviour should not and will not be tolerated. Although I would let the student off with a stiff fine if he puvlically and abjectly apologized.

Our justice system ought to judge each case based solely on the facts and the law of each particular case. the only valid criticism is when it does not maintain that procedure. I'm pretty certain that you are not really interested in upholding that standard. I'm guessing what you are really after is to subordinate consistent procedure in which the outcome of trials is guided by some sort of demographic equity.
    You're projecting. You're the one who wants to unequivocally give the student a pass without having the full story. All I was wondering is what the punishment will be if the student really is guilty. Somehow I doubt you'd be as forthcoming with your criticism if the student was black and was accused of racism against whites. Seems right up your counter-culture alley.

I've already answered this. In the absence of decisive evidence, what is more likely, momentary mischievousness, of malicious hatred?

BTW the only evidence we have on this crucial point is that the woman that reported him said he thought about what he was to do for 30 seconds. The evidence, such as it is, supports my interpretation.
    You don't know that there is no other evidence. That's the whole point. You're jumping to conclusions. I'm not even necessarily disagreeing with you, but your eagerness to make some kind of an anti-SJW point is rather funny. It's just as bad as the "social justice" you've criticized.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast