Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best graphics settings for DeI?

Default Best graphics settings for DeI?

I think unit size on normal is best, but what about the other graphics settings? I'm on 2560x1440p and find that the game laggs alot on gtx 1080ti 2700x ryzen

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Best graphics settings for DeI?

All maxed out, unit size ultra as mod is balanced for it. On top of that I run performance heavy graphic mods and my game never lags. On GTX 970 and i7 4790k.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

fps?

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...DEI-experience is a dedicated thread for graphical aids to improve your game performance.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

I don't think you will ever be able to run the game on 1440p with the good performance. R2 is a relatively old game and its engine is not optimised for that.

You will be better off going down to 1080p and raise the unit size to extreme as KAM suggested above.

I have the exact same setup, 2700x with Strix 1080ti, on a Asus Gsync 1440p 144hz monitor.... both liquid cooled, run the game off a M.2 ssd...
    I've had the CPU since release and just yesterday I figured out a trick to where I can play all Thrones, Rome and even fckin Atilla fully maxed out without the FPS ever dropping below 50 on the campaign map.... I've never been able to do that with Thrones and especially Atilla...

Inside your bios, make sure it's set to the D.O.C.P automatic profile, but make sure to set the OC profile to Aida/Geekbench....
    I've done the auto overclocking before it made a little difference, but after setting the OC profile up it made a huge difference for me...
    maybe even try some of the other profiles as well, there's a few, I've only tried one so far.
    Neither my GPU or CPU go above 60c's under full load, I think that might have something to do with it as well.

I play at 3840x2160, no AA, 16x AF, detail settings range from ultra for textures, terrain, buildings, to medium for water, unit detail, grass. I don't spend much time marveling at the close up view, so I'm happy to trade some close up unit detail for the zoomed out detail of 4k resolution. Using 40 vs 40 battles, with Ultra unit size results in frame drops, though I think that has as much to do with pathing and projectiles as anythign else, otherwise fps is steady 60+. I find Large unit sizes to be quite acceptable, even preferable when it comes to pathing and siege battles, and will probably switch from ultra to large as the campaign progresses and 40 v 40 battles become more prevelant.

gtx1080 and an old i7 3770k @ 4.2ghz

I should mention that the good performance I report does not apply to the campaign map, that runs like crap no matter what I change.

For DEI in a nutshell: unit size on normal.

Patrician

Ultra unit size is the only size. You Don't need to play in 4K as you can get much, much better graphics with Reshade, have huge battles and high FPS. I get all that on worse PC than you. I dont even recall when was the last time game lagged for me.
    Last edited by KAM 2150; September 06, 2019 at 07:42 AM.

on ultra unit size the units will bug the out of in sieges and naval battles, and settlement battles (which imo are the most boring battles ever)

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Yeah I can't believe you play on ultra with good results Kam!
    I've been playing TW games since just before 2004 and there has yet to be an engine where those unit sizes actually fit on a map. With 80 or 90% of battles fought in cities (walled or unwalled) these unit sizes just dont work. You can't even position a unit that big properly in a street, let alone try to get it on or off a wall without punching your monitor. The fort battles are just ludicrous at those sizes, and has been mentioned there are many of those too. They are bigger than the forts from the time of Rome 1/ Medieval 2 but not by much. Even Third Age Total War's custom made cities aren't big enough for max unit size.

Patrician

I actually never play sieges, like never. I only lay siege and wait for AI to attack me with either garrison or some reinforcing army, which happens most of the time.

Naval battles are bugged so I havent played one in 2-3 years.

If I have huge advantage, I will just autoresolve coty siege.

Hence for me 90%+ battle are regular land battles.

I play this series since 2001 and I never went below max unit size. Now with Reshade, I get even better looking Rome 2 with 4 year old PC and I dont go below 40 FPS.

Historically battles never took place in non walled settlements, the only time defenders stayed within the settlement is if it had walls, thus a siege took place.. even then in some siege battles defenders sallied out and fought in front of their walls (see Troy movie, was accurate)
    I always wondered why you guys have never thought about implementing that in DEI given the fact how historically accurate it is and that's what your mod is above all...

I actually use the "SALLY OUT AND FIGHT" mod to get the proper effect

@Kam does the unit size affect the size of ship crews? I'd like to play with Large units, but I'd rather not have partially empty ships and tiny marine units. Can I just use PFM and multiply the crew sizes so they retain their Ultra size on a lower setting?

Also, got a ReShade preset you care to share for those who would like to check it out, but don't want to get involved in configuring shaders?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool_Ranch View Post
    Can I just use PFM and multiply the crew sizes so they retain their Ultra size on a lower setting?
    You can modify the unit size in db/main_units_tables in the column Num Men.

For ReShade I personally only use two sharpening shaders, makes the game look 1000% better:

1. AdaptiveSharpen set to 0.5 (is included with ReShade shaders)
    2. ContrastAdaptiveSharpen set to 0.85 (can be downloaded from here https://gist.github.com/martymcmoddi...medium=ios_app)

And don't forget to tweak the Gamma settings.

Also if you're interested I've made a submod that reverts all units sizes and unit spacing back to vanilla values. The game runs much smoother for me this way, and especially siege and naval battles are not so buggy anymore. Just keep in mind that this also changes the overall battle balance.
    Last edited by yaxl3y; September 07, 2019 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yaxl3y View Post
    You can modify the unit size in db/main_units_tables in the column Num Men.

For ReShade I personally only use two sharpening shaders, makes the game look 1000% better:

1. AdaptiveSharpen set to 0.5 (is included with ReShade shaders)
    2. ContrastAdaptiveSharpen set to 0.85 (can be downloaded from here https://gist.github.com/martymcmoddi...medium=ios_app)

And don't forget to tweak the Gamma settings.

Also if you're interested I've made a submod that reverts all units sizes and unit spacing back to vanilla values. The game runs much smoother for me this way, and especially siege and naval battles are not so buggy anymore. Just keep in mind that this also changes the overall battle balance.
    Thanks! I was digging around a bit before but couldn't find the right table.

I got the appropriate shaders, but no configs for them. Would you mind posting the relevant section of the .ini with the settings you recommend?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Cool_Ranch View Post
    Thanks! I was digging around a bit before but couldn't find the right table.

I got the appropriate shaders, but no configs for them. Would you mind posting the relevant section of the .ini with the settings you recommend?

Cheers!
    Don't know about the .ini but you can easily change all settings ingame by pressing Home and then using the ReShade GUI to adjust everything to your liking.

Senator

I see it similarly as KAM. On my old PC, i7 3,5 Ghz, 960 GTX, 24 GB RAM, I played R2TW with all settings maxed out and huge units. However on a 1920 x 1080 screen. I never had lags.

Anything less than huge units feels bad. I played very few sea battles, as they simply are buggy and suck. I siege walled cities as long as I can and then autoresolve (or run away because of enemy reinforcements). If sieged I play the battles by hand in situations were I have disadvantages but still a realistic chance; I autoresolve sieges where I will surely lose by judging the forces involved. For unwalled towns, if I don't autoresolve, I usually cheat a little bit by having artillery in the stack, which forces the enemy to leave the town and attack; otherwise such repetitive battles are too boring. In fort battles you can position one stack with huge units in the fort, or you can use the fort as strongpoint in your defense line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast