Thread: The Shields of Achilles (Coming Soon!)

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Default The Shields of Achilles (Coming Soon!)

The Shields of Achilles
    or
    May You Arrive at Fertile Phthia on the Third Day...

"Φθῶτ᾽Ἀχιλλεῦ, τί ποτ᾽ἀνδροδάικτον ἀκούων...κόπον οὐ πελάθεις ἐπ᾽ἀρωγάν;"

"Phthian Achilles, why, when you hear the suffering and slaughter of men...do you not advance to their succour?"

- Myrmidons, a lost tragedy by Aeschylus.

Synopsis: What connects the Trojan War, ants, the Eleusinian Mysteries, the mysterious Pelasgians who inhabited Greece before the Greeks, the origin of the phalanx formation in warfare, psychedelic pharmacology, the Late Bronze Age collapse and the later rise of the Classical Greek world? Glad you asked!

Shields of Achilles will be a short story (possibly novella-length) told from the point of view of Achilles' Myrmidons, an elite fighting force from Thessaly, a unique culture that seemingly fought in a kind of archaic phalanx style. They fight for a man, Achilles, unworthy of being fought for. The narrative will focus on Automedon, Achilles' charioteer. (Chariots again? But this time it's different! I swear!) Much of the narrative will be set within Books IX-XXIV of the Iliad and afterward, with flashbacks. There will also be a parallel narrative taking place roughly in the present day, told from the point of view of a scientist trying to uncover the formula for the intoxicant used in the Eleusinian mysteries ritual. Some of the theories put forth in the story will be controversial, but I'm trying to make sure everything is supported by primary sources. (Trying to find the right words for things from Linear B inscriptions and the limited vocabulary of Mycenaean Greek is a project in and of itself.)

Though keeping within the forum rules on extreme content and themes, this is a story featuring a bold and difficult subject matter for mature audiences, so reader discretion is advised.

Seriously? Chariots again?

It's different this time, I swear! Chariots are not the focus!

This wouldn't have anything to do with the rumored next Total War Saga game, does it?

A happy coincidence. As Kilo will attest, I was kicking this idea around back at the beginning of April. But yeah, it's good timing.

Why are you talking to yourself?

I'm just a lonely, lonely man.

More to come soon...
    Last edited by Skotos of Sinope; August 31, 2019 at 02:02 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: The Shields of Achilles (Coming Soon!)

Great introduction, now I'd like to know the answers to your questions! Looking forward to this timely tale.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Stay strong! Thy shall be lonely no more!

But also: Chariots?! Again? I hope you stay true to your word and they have wings and are dragged by burning pigs or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Ahhhhhh. So excited! I got a teaser about the ideas for this a while back (thanks so much for including me when you first kicked the idea around Skotos; as a fanboy of your stuff, I have loved that!) and without saying anything about the story itself, I can say it'll be awesome and interesting and unexpected in all the right places. Now I will stop typing before I drive the hype up too much
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

I too am hyped for this, I think it will be something truly unique!

Never fear Skotos, you are not alone! I talk to myself all the time, I find it very useful or maybe I'm also just very lonely