Thread: Need Help with Unit textures!

Icon8 Need Help with Unit textures!

I've done a good amount of work trying to add a new unit for Carthage, which is basically a spearmen veteran unit based on Hannibal Veteran Africans.

Thanks to the contributions of Wermez (who did all the work modelling the unit and textures), Adalingum (who helped a lot with the files in order to be able to have the unit in the game), Midnite (who gave permission to use his shield textures from DBM) and others just as Quintus and Gigantus who gave some suggestions and helped clearing my doubts, I have now the unit implemented in my build.
    However, there is some problem with the textures in the unit that I don't know how to solve and I really need help from someone who understands. It is the only thing stoping the release so if you have some good understanding of how textures and unit models work, please help me on this! I will be forever grateful!

Basically what happened was that the units were looking good, like this: https://imgur.com/a/fe3jOSQ

But there were some issues with the wat they were holding their shields and so Wermez solved that and also did some rework on some other minor aspects of the unit, then he sent again his files and I got this when playing with the unit in the game: https://imgur.com/a/x62WtMt

Clearly, the textures are in the wrong place but I really don't know how to solve it. If someone can help... I wouldn't mind at all giving in exchange some of my time working in whatever traits or events they would like to do for their mods

The files with the unit: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/down...o=file&id=4478

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Default Re: Need Help with Unit textures!

In milkshape3d:

edit -> unhide all

Select the model with te mouse entirely BY FACE, then in Miklshape menus go in Vertex -> Weld Together, then Vertex -> Align normals, then Face -> Smooth all, then Tools -> Clean. But beware, the Vertex -> Weld Together thing can mess parts of your model, you will notice strange shades on it. If it happens, dont apply this specific procedure to these model parts, stay only with the other procedures.
    If your milkshape does not have these commands, check here.

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    In milkshape3d:

edit -> unhide all

Select the model with te mouse entirely BY FACE, then in Miklshape menus go in Vertex -> Weld Together, then Vertex -> Align normals, then Face -> Smooth all, then Tools -> Clean. But beware, the Vertex -> Weld Together thing can mess parts of your model, you will notice strange shades on it. If it happens, dont apply this specific procedure to these model parts, stay only with the other procedures.
    If your milkshape does not have these commands, check here.
    So, I converted the meshes to MS3D, did what you said but now I can't reconvert tho mesh files. It says that it contains underweighted vertices

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Do you know how to assign bone weights to vertices?

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Do you know how to assign bone weights to vertices?
    Not much. I once tried for hours with another unit, making the colours right and all, but failed to obtain a good result.

Alondite's Avatar Semisalis

Well, that is a matter of UV map.
    What you should do is to move the UV map one by one, or assign a group to the right material, i.e. Attachments or Figure. (Use ctrl+T in milkshape to call texture coordinate editor.)

I am not a model creator so don't know why, but sometimes people move a UV map outside the frame. In this case a "set to Figure" group, for example, seems to use figure texture file in milkshape but actually use attachment texture file in game.

It is said that "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime," however if you try hard but still fail, start to feel lazy or what, simply use these modified mesh files: https://mega.nz/#!y4BVjAqC!bLDdpkrap...19sr681kauYIF4 What I did is same as above, moving UV map and assign group. The result looks fine in game. (Their posture may look strange in my screenshot because I don't have EB animation. But they should work fine in your mod.)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Anyway I think you should learn how to move the UV map. Combined with assigning bone weight, you can do almost everything about merging models, for example, let A gets some components from B.
    Last edited by Alondite; August 30, 2019 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks a lot Alondite!
    You just made my day, or better, my month! After so many months waiting for this unit, I finally can play with it and make a release to the community. Thanks to you!

I know I should learn about that since it is indeed very useful, but I really only wanted this unit to be in EBII. I have no need to learn more because I don't need any more unit and I prefer to spend my time working on what I know, traits and events x)

Like I said, if you need any thing regarding traits or events that you want to have in a certain mod, send me a pm and I will work on it. You deserve it! +1 rep from me

Alondite's Avatar Semisalis

You are welcome, Lusitanio.

Of course that's fine if you're not planning to touch any part of unit modding in the future. Just good luck modding.
    And I don't ask anything in return. It's my pleasure to help.

Artifex

Cool unit. Won't look bad as an armor upgrade either I think.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill