Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Demetrios Poliorketes Development Thread

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Default Re: Demetrios Poliorketes

Update:
    I worked on the mod again a bit, here are some previews of the building chains previously mentioned. Completely new ones and expanded vanilla ones
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ptolemaic Native Chain

Ptolemaic Klerouchia Chain

Ptolemaic Stables Chain

New Food Storage chain (only available in major settlements)

Expanded vanilla industry chain, with armourer/blacksmith subchains, now it is possible to upgrade your units' equipment even without owning iron directly, provided you at least import it

Spartan Barracks Chain

Feel free to join my discord server for more information and insight
    https://discord.gg/4aZ96Av
    Last edited by Gyrosmeister; May 12, 2020 at 03:52 PM.

Nice project man! This one of my favourite timeperiods from Greece's history!

And are you going to include the historical event of the Gallic invasion of 279 b.C.?

Quote Originally Posted by Rampante-Cid View Post
    Nice project man! This one of my favourite timeperiods from Greece's history!

And are you going to include the historical event of the Gallic invasion of 279 b.C.?
    Yeah, I planned including it in some way(and after that unlocking the Thureos units), however it will occur earlier than it actually happened for a few reasons:

A) The campaign will be 12TPY (fits the map better, if it was let's say 4TPY it wouldn't make sense for an army to take 3 months to cover relatively small distances)
    B) Because of that if we went historical we would need to wait 180 turns for it to occur (since the campaign starts after Demetrios took the throne in 294 B.C.) and given that it is not the Grand Campaign, it is more likely that you will finish the campaign much earlier than a GC, though then again I haven't reached playtesting yet to see how long the campaign takes on average to finish so in theory you could make the campaign without ever using the new units, or only having them available for a couple of turns.

Though currently I am quite far away from thinking on how to implement that, there are still a lot of stuff that need to be finish like assign garrisons to all buildings, choose what buildings each settlement will have (since there will be new building chains, I need to make sure that all factions have at least on the start a half-decent settlement to work with so that the AI can actually do something apart from spamming Militia Hoplites and Slingers because they do not have a military building), place the armies, agents, do some historical family trees etc.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Sent by the gods, I am looking forward to this.

EARLY CAMPAIGN PREVIEWS

Antigonid Family Tree:

Lysimachid Family Tree:

Diplomacy:

Government actions:

Campaign Map:

Lysimachos pressing the offensive in A.Minor

Naval presence of the Antigonids in the Northern Aegean

Discord server: https://discord.gg/4aZ96Av
    Last edited by Gyrosmeister; July 24, 2020 at 03:31 PM.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

super cool

Wonderful mod, can i suggest to use hoplon form wrath of sparta? They are greater than the ones in great campaign.
    You will change also battles?

Quote Originally Posted by napoleone View Post
    Wonderful mod, can i suggest to use hoplon form wrath of sparta? They are greater than the ones in great campaign.
    You will change also battles?
    As far as I know the Hopla used in that era were smaller than the ones used during the Peloponnesian War, so from a historical perspective it makes sense to use them instead.

Battles will have some small differences compared to vanilla in this mod.

Any mod with the biggest playa in the Ancient Times has my heart, please don't break it by abruptly cancelling the mod project.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Any mod with the biggest playa in the Ancient Times has my heart, please don't break it by abruptly cancelling the mod project.
    Well I don't plan at cancelling it, you can sleep in peace

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Nice work, Gyrosmeister!

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Looks interesting!
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

FURTHER CAMPAIGN PREVIEWS

Emerging Factions:

Excluding Argos shown above, Miletos, Pergamon and the Achaian League are also planned to be emerging factions

Foreign Cultural Influences:

Expect something similar in Epirus (Illyrian), Thrace/Hellespont ("Pure" Thracian), and in A.Minor (Eastern)

Faction Traits:

The "Only one can rule" trait will also be shared by Pyrrhos and Ptolemaios

FURTHER NOTES:
    The campaign map in terms of placing armies and agents is nearly complete (read further down regarding Bithynia), there is still some work to be done in Diplomacy, as well as revamping the mercenary system and adding the other emerging factions.
    There has been no work as of yet on the Gallic Invasion (apart from adding the faction in the database), this campaign feature will be left for last most likely.
    Speaking of Bithynia, the plan was to create a "hybrid" minor settlement main chain, appearing "barbarian" on the campaign map and in battles at the lower building levels and then appearing as a Hellenistic town, in order to reflect the advancements in Hellenisation. The battle map however as some tests showed could not be made to appear hybrid as the campaign map settlement would, so Bithynia will get the Greek minor settlement main chain. Bithynia will still retain the unique blend of Thracian Hellenic (and a little bit Eastern) cultures, however it will not appear as Hellenistic as it did on The Last Stand of Greece, because of the earlier date.
    There are also 2 factions without government actions currently (Pyrrhos and Bithynia), I am open to suggestions regarding those 2, additionally Demetrios does not have his government action set as of now, there is a draft for Demetrios' government action, which shall be implemented and tested soon.

It has been over a year now since I announced this project, I hope it won't disappoint the ones that had been looking forward to this since the beginning

Discord Server:
    https://discord.gg/4aZ96Av
    Last edited by Gyrosmeister; September 04, 2020 at 05:10 PM.

Awesome, looking fantastic keep up great work
    It seems I must spread the REP around first

Everyone the mod has been released!!
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2261333820

Congratulations on your release I haven't tried yet but on my things to do next list

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

great

Default Re: Demetrios Poliorketes Development Thread

So after the update on February, development on Demetrios Poliorketes has generally been silent (unless you are in the discord server, in that case you may have seen a thing or two ). However now I can show some of the main changes that are planned to come with the next update.

REWORKED MECHANICS OF PYRRHOS

Pyrrhos will have some of his mechanics changed. The main motivation for these changes are historical, but this does not mean that they won't provide an interesting gameplay dynamic . So what will change? First of all Pyrrhos will lose two recruitment slots, in order to reflect the lower available manpower that Epeiros had. However all new recruits will receive additional experience ranks, in order to more accurately represent the highly skilled army of Pyrrhos. Furthermore, given Pyrrhos' mercenary connections he will receive a new mercenary network that will allow him to A) Recruit certain mercenaries anywhere on the map, while not being bound by the province and B) have access to mercenaries that are unavailable to other factions. Coupled with this is a global 20% reduction in mercenary upkeep cost for all mercenary units for all factions, in an attempt to make them more accessible and better underline the importance of mercenaries in that time period.

Pyrrhos' unique mercenary pool and the 3 otherwise unavailable units: Illyrian Peltasts, Tymphaian Pikemen and Orestian Cavalry.

CULTS

Cults, similar to the ones in Empire Divided, will appear in the next update. Planned are 3 chains, Kotys, Kybele and Kabeiroi. The cult of Kybele will also introduce a new culture, Phrygian. They will function similar to Empire Divided, with the main difference being an increased demolition cost.

PERGAMON

Pergamon will be introduced as a new faction on the campaign map, and it will also become playable. Pergamon will be led by Philetairos, Lysimachos' lieutenant, and as a result, will start as a vassal of Lysimachos. Pergamon will have a more "lieutenant-esque" gameplay, with various unique events planned for the faction asking you to assist Lysimachos in various ways, as Philetairos was guarding the treasury of Pergamon. Therefore if you waste all the money of Pergamon there will be consequences .

NEW UNITS

Pergamon, given that it will be a new faction, will receive some new units. Pergamese Noble Cavalry will be one of them, reworked from vanilla with higher armor and slightly worse melee stats. It will not be the only unit that Pergamon will receive, some other units are currenty being planned. A faction that will also receive some new troops is the Aitolian League, a unit of Athamanian cavalry will bolster their skirmisher cavalry possibilities.

HISTORICAL CHARACTERS

Some more characters will receive some historical traits and unique campaign model in the next update. One of them is Olympiodoros, leader of Athens. He wil receive some better attribute stats, to reflect his experience in leadership as well as some public order bonuses, given his part in the opposition against the unpopular tyrant Lachares.

Those are the planned main changes that will come in the next update. As always feel free to suggest any changes/improvements and to share your feedback on the plans

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/xZ6yruJPMA

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Hi! Could you help me with something? I would need a mash of a skin with thighs like the Greeks but including thighs.

So the update will end up being more expansive than originally planned, some of the features that will be included are:

ILLYRIAN PIRATES

The Ionian Sea will now be unsafe! Illyrian Pirates will venture to the Ionian Sea and will be eager to raid your trade routes and sack your ports. So make sure you have ships ready to counter them, otherwise they can become a big problem. Additionally, Pamphylian/Kilikian pirates are also planned to be introduced, they will cause troubles in the South East.

CONTEXTUAL CIVIL WARS

A Civil War does not happen out of nowhere. There needs to be a group that can start one. This is why in Demetrios Poliorketes, not every faction will have a civil war counterpart. The ones that will have possible civil wars are:
    Demetrios <=> Supporters of Alexandros; Demetrios took the throne by murdering Alexander V, the civil war faction represents supporters of Alexander V
    Pyrrhos <=> Supporters of Neoptolemos; Pyrrhos took the throne by murdering Neoptolemos, the civil war faction represents supporters of Neoptolemos
    Lysimachos <=> Supporters of Agathokles; Lysimachos' son Agathokles was very popular within the people and the army. Fearing for his position and influenced by his wife, Lysimachos had Agathokles executed which caused a lot of turmoil. The civil war factions represents supporters of Agathokles
    Sparta (Agiad) <=> Sparta (Eurypontid); The two ruling families of Sparta didn't get along that well at various times in history, the civil war faction represents the Eurypontid dynasty (player controls the Agiad dynasty)
    Athens <=> Supporters of Lachares; In 296, the tyrant Lachares was kicked out of Athens and Olympiodoros was placed as Archon by Demetrios. The civil war faction represents the supporters of Lachares

Pergamon and the Ptolemies are also planned to receive a civil war faction, the civil war factions have not yet been finalized

FURTHER PREVIEWS ON PERGAMON

There is still quite a lot of work left on Pergamon, but I can share some more previous on the faction, including their unique units and Philetairos' family tree. Philetairos will also get special traits.

NEW EMERGING FACTIONS

In the next update, a couple more emerging factions will enter the fray: The Orestians, Amphipolis, the Chalcidean League and possibly Khios.

That is all for this preview on the next update, be sure to share your feedback on the planned changes

Want more previews, insights and discussion? Join the discord server! https://discord.gg/4aZ96Av

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast