Thread: Other party influence bug

Default Other party influence bug

Two campaigns in a row I have one party dominate influence despite having the same or far less gravitas than the other parties or my own. In my Roman campaign the power pie is 51% for me, 44% plebians, 2% Patricii and 3% Equites. Plebians have about 3k gravitas, as does Patricii, Equites slightly less.

Is there a way to fix my current campaign?

Any way to remove this bug?

Thanks

Default Re: Other party influence bug

Please post your bug posts in the bugs post.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

It is not a bug, it is a CA heritage.
    At first I didn't believe about this but at the end I verified and it is true, third party is getting (at a certain indefinite point) some hardcoded influence.

Is there a way to limit/prevent/adjust this? Yes but it will recquire some work and use some scripted functions I've not used yet.
    Is there a way to cheat your campaign and return power to normal levels? Yes but it will recquire a couple of custom cheat packs and a turn.

Vanilla's politics doesn't offer possibilites to play with influence, you can try PIGS submod to have these possibilities

Some advices:
    1) do not recruit useless characters in any party (just recruit the ones you'll need as generals and a couple more). The less chars you'll have the more controllable is influence
    2) do not marry other parties chars, wives are more or less useless
    3) pay attention to your influence at least every year

I posted in the bug section when this happened on my previous campaign and got nowhere.

Thanks Jake but you are saying I should have fewer characters and wives but that is the opposite of the strategy I have heard from others, so in order to counter this bug and it is a bug, I have to ruin my political strategy? Wives lower empire maintanance and other party generals are required to handle loyalty, and stop my own party influence being too high early game to prevent civil wars.

I dont undestand why other people are not reporting this, although you are aware of this problem Jake.

Patrician

There have been a lot of dicussions about that in the last years, actually.
    I can report what is my experience about my submods (entirely based on DeI) and I have an idea about vanilla since I worked on the tables but I don't have a direct experience.
    I've never ever played Rome 2 vanilla and the last time I played DeI vanilla was 2 years ago, I have to admit.

I've seen that people usually tends to recruit a lot of caharacters and that is not a good choice for these reasons (even if I get that in vanilla politics they give the necessary loyalty buff but it is the entire vanilla political system that works buggy, it needs an overhaul, there is no doubt about that):
    1) they'll raise the char costs
    2) they'll mess up the gravitas 'cause you will be no more capable to control it since it will come from too many sources (i've halved the gravitas given per turn in PIGS)
    3) they'll be the main source of turn lags 'cause chars are the ones that triggers more scripts (the more the chars the more the cpu will have to calculate)
    4) apart from loyalty, the faction bonuses you'll get (corruption, i.e.) are slightier and less influential than what people think (for example corruption is wrongly shown in UI, when it shows a 1% it actually means 0,1%)
    5) regarding gameplay, with so may of them you'll end up gorgetting who has done this and who's that, making them more anonymous
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; August 27, 2019 at 08:45 AM.

Centenarius

I forget, has anyone ever released a submod that just disables the whole political system? That is the solution that others have proposed in the past.

Patrician

Well you can't disable it but you can make it ininfluent.

I've experienced that bug several times before. I usually just view it as a feature. After all, it's not implausible that one political party will be particularly effective at parlaying a limited position into excessive levels of influence.

In my current Egypt game, my dynasty has over 5,000 gravitas and 71% influence, Macedonian Nobility has 2% influence with around 200 gravitas, Egyptian Nobility has 4% influence with around 200 gravitas and Noble Families have 23% influence with around 400 gravitas. Each rival party has only one general as a member, without a wife.

I just rationalise it as the leader of the Noble Families being a political genius. The Tywin Lannister of his times, if you will, whilst the leaders of the other families are Mace Tyrell, having a fairly prestigious name but with no ability to turn their prestige into genuine influence.

In my opinion it adds to the challenge to have a political system which is a bit opaque, and not obviously easy to control. If the worst comes to the worst, the Noble Families leader will charge into battle on his own, get killed and I'll trigger a civil war to wipe them out. Not the first time that sort of thing happened in the classical world after all!

Okay well I appreciate the replies guys, thanks. I will have a look at that PIGS mod, might have to gear up for a civil war.

Hi Jack,
    I am currently in a Rome Campaign and I am NOT having this issue. I am well aware of the bug and remember having other campaigns WITHOUT this effect.
    However, my DeI is ULTRA moded (My personal own large mod). I am unsure if it is something related to stuff I've moded in the past.

It has many features, like for instance, AI roman soldiers use their javelins and after that they enter the disciplined formation.
    Economy is harder, strategy is much more weighted and A LOT of diplomacy modifications (years of testing and fine tuning).
    Naval transports have MUCH more reach in campaign map.
    I've been able to reduce the annoying insta regen troops of sacked enemy cities and also introduced some new effects for battles, in order to stop generals and cavalry in general to run attacking before the rest of the army. any many, many many more stuff.

If you're interested I could send you the packs to test, but it runs on a slightly older version of DeI.

Patrician

Sure thing, me and other people will surely be interested.
    Just PM me a link, thanks

Naval transports have MUCH more reach in campaign map: how did you achieve this? using the embark/disembark event via script?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    Sure thing, me and other people will surely be interested.
    Just PM me a link, thanks

Naval transports have MUCH more reach in campaign map: how did you achieve this? using the embark/disembark event via script?

Thanks
    I've never uploaded my mod. I have considered offering it to the community, but because 10 to 15% of it is derived of work from modders I don't even remember (I think you are included BTW since I hava some other small mods like a version of your PIGS).
    I will send it to you with pleasure. Maybe , if you find it good, we can upload it for everybody.

EDIT: Jack I sent you a PM (or tried to). I am unsure if it was sent, since I can't see it in the "sent items". So I did send it twice. I will check here later, so please let me know if you did not receive my PM.
    Many thanks!
    No scripts. I've modded the transports with a very simple work around using 3 things: editing a DeI effect, editing season effect and editing a column in NAVAL units (to counter compensate for war ships).

I am trying to find how to PM you, I am sure I'll succeed =DD
    Last edited by bozu; August 30, 2019 at 11:08 AM.

Patrician

Yeah, I've received the PM and answered you (if you want it to be saved into sent items you'll have to check a box under the text window).

I'll surely have a look on what you've done and then share.
    Thanks for your offer.

Many thanks, Jake!

Already sent you the Mediafire link, instructions inside
    I lost track of the DeI version that works with the mod, but I'm 95% sure that it is 124 from January 2019