Thread: Overlapping units effect

Default Overlapping units effect

Hi. Yet another question from me

When two units overlap, I noticed they move a lot slower. Does it give more maluses for these units? Like lower attack/defence ...

I am asking in situations of defending chokepoints like gaps in walls/gates. AI always throw most units to fight. Is it better to blob defenders or space them next each other

Default Re: Overlapping units effect

The stats don't change, but it's still not always the best thing to do, because if you want to use formations or keep a cohesive line it messes up the unit spacing, and can make it easier for enemies to exploit gaps and kill your soldiers from the sides and rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Aibabos View Post
    Hi. Yet another question from me

When two units overlap, I noticed they move a lot slower. Does it give more maluses for these units? Like lower attack/defence ...

I am asking in situations of defending chokepoints like gaps in walls/gates. AI always throw most units to fight. Is it better to blob defenders or space them next each other
    No negative effects on paper. Having two pike phalanx units on top of each other in a street, or any choke-point, pretty much makes it an impenetrable force. Due to the greater density of pikes and men, the only downside is missile fire. With no gaps, arrows will hit someone. The enemy has the benefit of hitting two of your units with one missile unit.

You can do just that with one phalanx and one trash unit, the latter standing couple of metres forward, to tie up enemy models in combat, whilt they are being hot with pikes from behind.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

I find this kind of glitchery will just undo you. I can't say for certain, but blobbing your own units together for some cheap advantage will probably just lead to your own units being more easily in "formation breached" status by one inevitably turning facing slightly or just the natural effects of trying to occupy limited physical space with too many men. It's also a cluster when you try to retreat or reposition in any way.

Done it for years. Works fine