Thread: Guilds Not Triggering

Default Guilds Not Triggering

Been a while...

Got back into playing Medieval 2 last week. I'm currently playing a fun campaign as the Moors and am focusing heavily on building up my economic capacity and an army of Imams to descend upon Spain and Portugal with. Something doesn't seem right in regards to having guild houses trigger once I've surpassed the threshold of points. This is specific to Cordoba, which starts out as a minor city. I've easily surpassed the 100 point threshold for the Merchant's guild to trigger, however it hasn't, and I can't figure out why. I've also just surpassed the 100 point threshold for the Theologians guild, and it also hasn't triggered. I'm playing Vanilla, and have played a couple short campaigns already where I've gotten a few different guilds to trigger, so it's not an install issue or anything like that.

Anyone have any theories to shed light on why the guild house events aren't triggering for my Cordoba settlement?

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: Guilds Not Triggering

There are positive and negative points.
    If you are offered a guild in a city and you reject the offer because you want to build a different guild in that city you are penalized for all the guilds.
    So you may have earned a 100 points but also lost some.
    If you want a merchant's guild in Cordoba you need to build all the market buildings that you can in Cordoba and recruit your merchants from there, not other cities.
    Same with imams, religious buildings and theologian's guild.

I probably should have expanded my initial post to provide more background. I've recruited all merchants only from Cordoba so far (6 total) and have built the merchant building path all the way to a Fairground, Merchant's Warf, and Shipright. I haven't been offered a guild house in any other settlement yet, so there shouldn't be any negative points accumulated that way. I've sent my diplomat to all Western Catholic factions except Hungary and Venice so far, and have gotten trade rights with all of them. I've also been recruiting all my priests except one from Cordoba so far.

There are a couple things I'm wondering if they could hit me with negative points:
    1. Failing missions from the Council of Nobles
    2. Losing trade rights by going to war with factions

Would either of these occurrences result in negative points towards guild houses?

How many turns into the campaign are you?

23 turns in.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Tuscan View Post
    I probably should have expanded my initial post to provide more background. I've recruited all merchants only from Cordoba so far (6 total) and have built the merchant building path all the way to a Fairground, Merchant's Warf, and Shipright. I haven't been offered a guild house in any other settlement yet, so there shouldn't be any negative points accumulated that way. I've sent my diplomat to all Western Catholic factions except Hungary and Venice so far, and have gotten trade rights with all of them. I've also been recruiting all my priests except one from Cordoba so far.

There are a couple things I'm wondering if they could hit me with negative points:
    1. Failing missions from the Council of Nobles
    2. Losing trade rights by going to war with factions

Would either of these occurrences result in negative points towards guild houses?
    If you haven't , I'd recommend giving "A Guide for Guilds" by Legio a read :
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ide-for-Guilds

Let me save you some time however by asking : Have your merchants been failing to acquire assets of others ? This is -20 points

Losing trade rights also costs you -10

It takes 100 points . Also worth asking , do you have the 1000 florin to build it ?

Also , worth reading closely the section on "Normalization" ( although that affects you only after turn 25 )
    Last edited by UndrState; August 27, 2019 at 12:01 PM. Reason: proper punctuation

Like UndrState said, plus 23 turns are not so much.
    Recommended strategy:
    Never execute prisoners or sack conquered settlements, this will boost your faction's reputation and will make it easier to build alliances, or at least make trade deals.
    Make the damn trade deals.
    Use your merchants aggressively.

Have you somehow overcome this issue? I'm having a similar problem, after rejecting multiple guild offers in various cities because of lack of funds, I'm getting absolutely no guild offers in any cities. I have an Assassin's Guild in a city and even after recruiting like 20 assassins and successfuly assasinating tons of characters, it's still not prompting me to upgrade to Master Guild.