Thread: Help! Advanced graphics selection crash, post Windows 10 install

Paladin247's Avatar Biarchus

Default Help! Advanced graphics selection crash, post Windows 10 install

Since Windows 10 install on Wednesday, attempting to change graphics settings via the "advanced" settings button crashes the game upon hitting "accept".

When you get back in, all the values you changed have been reverted.

Spent five hours tonight on the forums and web trying fix after fix to no avail.

I'm running a four year old Alienware with i7-5820K processor, GTX-970 video card and 8GB DDR4 RAM.

We checked and updated drivers on all.

I realize this is somewhat redundant to my previous post on Windows 10 for which I apologize, but this sucker has been a terror.

Thanks and appreciate all assistance.
    Last edited by Paladin247; August 19, 2019 at 02:17 AM.
    "With a population of around a million, Rome (in Claudius' time) was a vast city even by modern standards. It is worth pointing out that during the early Renaissance the population of Rome was no more than fifteen thousand-- living amid the ruins of a civilization that dwarfed their own. It was not until the nineteenth century that the population of Rome returned to the levels it had enjoyed under the Caesars. That is eloquent proof of the fact that human history is not a tale of steady progress towards greater knowledge and achievement." Simon Scarrow

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Help! Advanced graphics selection crash, post Windows 10 install

hmm, I've encountered smth similar. Back in my time it was that one of the options would just crash everything but I don't remember which one it was. I think one of the right side 'tick' ones, like ssao or smth? But I definitely remember that i had to change that via preferences in the C:\Users\[ur name]\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\scripts folder. Otherwise it would just hang the entire thing. Try editing via preferences and see if the game works fine.
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

Which settings exactly are you trying to change? Have you tried to reinstall the game? Maybe try to delete all Rome 2 related files in AppData folder and try again.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

I have also experienced a similar problem that I suspected was related to GEM. Do you have GEM installed on your R2?

Changing settings via the text file worked for me, though, so you can try it that way.

Paladin247's Avatar Biarchus

All, thanks for the help. Last night I changed the settings via the text file and that worked. The in game advanced settings still don't work, but I can live with this if the alternative is reinstalling Rome 2 and all the mods.

Thanks again.
    "With a population of around a million, Rome (in Claudius' time) was a vast city even by modern standards. It is worth pointing out that during the early Renaissance the population of Rome was no more than fifteen thousand-- living amid the ruins of a civilization that dwarfed their own. It was not until the nineteenth century that the population of Rome returned to the levels it had enjoyed under the Caesars. That is eloquent proof of the fact that human history is not a tale of steady progress towards greater knowledge and achievement." Simon Scarrow

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Didn't even get +rep for the quick answer. Feelsbadman.
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.