Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trump wants to buy Greenland

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Trump wants to buy Greenland

Trump is said to have discussed internally the plan to buy Greenland from Denmark.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49367792

As it may be a smart move because of Greenland's natural resources, such as coal, zinc, copper and iron ore, i personally find it worrying because of Trumps lately "softening" of US environmental protection laws. I fear an increased pollution of the Arctis.

I see also problems with the self determination right of the Greenlanders.

To buy a island or a region reminds me on the era of imperialism. Its obsolete.

What do you think?
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Default Re: Trump wants to buy Greenland

Is Greenland part of the New World? If so, then it's already rightful American land. Trump is just making it official.

Nuke the Denmarkians if they refuse to sell it.

Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

As a Dane I know that won't work, but I'm also kinda sad that it won't.

Denmark throws money out of the window for no reason subsidising this place other than national pride & tradition, and almost the only reasons why Trump is about to visit Copenhagen is also Greenland (though not just the buying part), so my hope is that he'd just stay home if we did? No wait, he also wants us to not let Nord Stream 2 pass...

I live in that embassy neighbourhood and the constant helicopter flyovers have already become a pest, even though he's only supposed to visit us on September 2nd... I cannot fathom how much worse it'll be once he gets here. I would say "please kill me", except I kinda fear his secret service might oblige?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

@Cookiegod:

I think he visits mostly because of sabotaging North Stream 2. He also seems to want a US fleet basis in Denmark (if i have read right).

Citizen

Actually, our Danish media has pretty much been in agreement [sauce 1; sauce 2] about it mostly being about Greenland even before he came with that stupid "buy Greenland" shtick... Which, spoiler alert, we Danes couldn't even do if we wanted to. There are both international and Danish laws prohibiting this.

And Greenland isn't exactly amused about his offer.

Now we've also gotten the news that our statsminister is going to visit Greenland before Trump visits us. Can't be a coincidence.

Kinda sad that the only times when Denmark still enters the stage of global politics it's not even about us.

What's that? All my links are worthless because it's in Danish? I like being helpful!

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

A not really serious article from the Satire Newspaper "Der Postillon":

Friday, August 16, 2019

"If Denmark does not want to sell, things are different": US finds weapons of mass destruction in Greenland

Washington (dpo) - Donald Trump is said to have expressed interest in buying the strategically important island of Greenland from Denmark - and received a clear rejection. Nevertheless, the US flag could soon be blowing in the resource-rich area near the Arctic, because according to the American secret service CIA, weapons of mass destruction in Greenland have now been surprisingly discovered.
    "If Denmark does not want to sell, things are different," said Donald Trump, holding up a ticket to prove it. "Unfortunately, given this shocking accumulation of weapons of mass destruction near US territory, we are forced to take military action."
    In total, according to the CIA, there are about 200 ready-to-shoot nuclear missiles, 5000 trained fighting polar bears, 500 sarin-viking bases as well as other biological and chemical weapons:
    "There is no doubt that the Danish government is planning an attack on the US," said Trump. "We must make an immediate preemptive strike and occupy Greenland as soon as possible!"
    Shortly thereafter opened several warships, aircraft carriers and fighter jets, according to the US "just happened to be in the area" the fire on Greenland.

https://www.der-postillon.com/2019/0...ngswaffen.html

Tiro

In case anyone is new to "climate change," it is really simple. It's a globalist push for centralized, soon-to-be totalitarian government control of the middle classes. Pollution is rising but because of the third-world populations. There was an article around detailing how with Trump dismissing those conventions and accords and whatever on the climate, and with the rise of his economy in America, co2 production has actually diminished in America, while it has been rising greatly in places like India and China. Overpopulation is something that almost no one, not even Trump, has begun to talk about. That Overton Window remains tightly sealed.

Sub-Saharan Africa, continuing with "current trends," is going to be the greatest disaster in human history, brutal stuff, I'm talking about several billion people affected by good-old Nature.

http://www.unz.com/isteve/u-n-world-...haran-tsunami/

Trump buying up Greenland with all its resources means less shipping, air traffic, and diesel trucking to get those foreign goods where they need to be off the map, so victory for the climate if Trump makes America self-sufficient.

Ah! And one more incredibly ironic point on mass immigration(a UN "human right") is that all that transportation is gonna produce more CO2, and as populations continue to rise, everything needed to sustain their lives - and the ability to keep producing greater numbers of children furthering population growth - is going to take up much natural land for human use. Our egalitarian principles since the French Revolution - a product of a mild famine by many accounts - is causing us to ignore or conflate our ability to have billions of people on the planet.
    Last edited by Bob69Joe; August 16, 2019 at 03:09 PM.
    Gornahoor|Liber esse, scientiam acquirere, veritatum loqui
    Crow states: "If you would be a great leader, then learn the way of the Tao. Relinquish the need to control. Let go of plans and of concepts. The world will govern itself. The more restrictive you are, the less virtuous people will be. The more force you display, the less secure they will feel. The more subsidies you provide, the less self-reliant they become. Therefore the master says: Un-write the law, thus the people become honest. Dispense with economics, thus the people become prosperous. Do without religion, thus the people become serene. Let go all desire for the common good, and the good becomes as common as the grass." ~ Lao Tzu - Tao te tching
    MONARCHY NATION TRANSCENDENCE

Citizen

Pfft. They can try if they want! Denmark is expertly guarded by the most elite (as in: exclusive because ridiculously small unit) special forces in the world.

If Murica attacks, things will get Sirius.

I mean even Russia hasn't dared attack those 14 men who still carry ww2 era rifles.

@Bob:

Total Nonsense.

A new report has found that US carbon dioxide emissions rose by 3.4% in 2018 after three years of decline.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46801108

@Cookie:

US Invasion fleet will already struggle with the Icebergs.^^
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; August 16, 2019 at 03:10 PM.

Citizen

Make Greenland green again!1!!

Plus the less ice is pressing down on that land, the more will rise out of it, increasing the size of the land. Make Greenland great again!

Tiro

Excuse me for constant editing, but I attempt to be an non-linear as I can, so three posts blazed by as I added a few more ideas.

Excuse me for speaking nonsense, but India and China combined are like double of what the rest of the world puts out.
    Last edited by Bob69Joe; August 16, 2019 at 03:14 PM.
    Crow states: "If you would be a great leader, then learn the way of the Tao. Relinquish the need to control. Let go of plans and of concepts. The world will govern itself. The more restrictive you are, the less virtuous people will be. The more force you display, the less secure they will feel. The more subsidies you provide, the less self-reliant they become. Therefore the master says: Un-write the law, thus the people become honest. Dispense with economics, thus the people become prosperous. Do without religion, thus the people become serene. Let go all desire for the common good, and the good becomes as common as the grass." ~ Lao Tzu - Tao te tching

Miles

This isn't exactly the first time that the U.S had tried to buy Greenland, in 1946, they offered $100 million to the Danish government to purchase it and in 1867 Secretary of State William H. Seward once floated the idea of annexing both Greenland and Iceland.

Also apparently the Chinese wanted to purchase an abandoned naval base in Greenland in 2017 but it was obviously turned down.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPerson2000 View Post
    This isn't exactly the first time that the U.S had tried to buy Greenland, in 1946, they offered $100 million to the Danish government to purchase it and in 1867 Secretary of State William H. Seward once floated the idea of annexing both Greenland and Iceland.

Also apparently the Chinese wanted to purchase an abandoned naval base in Greenland in 2017 but it was obviously turned down.
    Obvious, hm? Well, the Danes must have more sense than Canadians.
    "Canada selling lethal viruses to China"
    https://nationalpost.com/health/bio-...ruses-to-china

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

And don´t forget about Alaska and Loisiana! USA has great history of buying land!!!
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by RandomPerson2000 View Post

This is the only substantive post out of all the dribble that has been posted in this thread. The only thing problem is that the US interceded to prevent the sell of the base to the Chinese. The Chinese have made several attempts to purchase assets and influence on the island.

There is a definite strategic element in involved here. The Danes are spending about a half billion to support the islanders every year; something they can't afford at present. The purchase would solve a lot of problems and the islanders would be better off because they would be able to buy their property instead of leasing it as it is now.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    This is the only substantive post out of all the dribble that has been posted in this thread. The only thing problem is that the US interceded to prevent the sell of the base to the Chinese. The Chinese have made several attempts to purchase assets and influence on the island.

There is a definite strategic element in involved here. The Danes are spending about a half billion to support the islanders every year; something they can't afford at present. The purchase would solve a lot of problems and the islanders would be better off because they would be able to buy their property instead of leasing it as it is now.
    And not to be outdone, you came up with some drivel of your own?!

Denmark has close to no debt, and government expenses are over 1100 billion DKK per annum. Danish expenses to Greenland are usually less than 5 billion DKK. About half a percent of the total expenditures. So saying we can't afford it is bull.

And once again Denmark has no ability whatsoever to sell anything in Greenland. And Greenland doesn't want to be American. Especially since being part of the US would give them far less advantages than being part of Denmark, and being independent is impractical for a country that has only a population of about 50k and gets more than half its income from the motherland.

The only legal way for Greenland to become part of the US is by them moving for full independence from Denmark, which Denmark would grant without protest, and then making some agreement with the US to either become an unincorporated or an incorporated territory. Anyone who knows how Puerto Rico is faring knows that'd be stupid for them to do. There'd be 0 reasons to pay Denmark anything, because whether or not Greenland stays part of the kingdom isn't a decision the mainland can do any longer.

Greenland doesn't give a f... about Western foreign policies btw. That not only applies to China, which it welcomes just like any other state, but also Russia. I have some knowledge to that that I cannot state openly. But stating the publicly known, Greenland is for example not part of the sanctions regimes enacted by the European Union against Russia, and thus also not the victim of Russian counter sanctions.

It basically makes its own foreign policy. Those are privileges which it would not have as a US territory.

We'd sooner see it join Norway or Iceland or Canada than the US.

...unless the US decided to invade, that is.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

And not to be outdone, you came up with some drivel of your own?!

Denmark has close to no debt, and government expenses are over 1100 billion DKK per annum. Danish expenses to Greenland are usually less than 5 billion DKK. About half a percent of the total expenditures. So saying we can't afford it is bull.

And once again Denmark has no ability whatsoever to sell anything in Greenland. And Greenland doesn't want to be American. Especially since being part of the US would give them far less advantages than being part of Denmark, and being independent is impractical for a country that has only a population of about 50k and gets more than half its income from the motherland.

The only legal way for Greenland to become part of the US is by them moving for full independence from Denmark, which Denmark would grant without protest, and then making some agreement with the US to either become an unincorporated or an incorporated territory. Anyone who knows how Puerto Rico is faring knows that'd be stupid for them to do. There'd be 0 reasons to pay Denmark anything, because whether or not Greenland stays part of the kingdom isn't a decision the mainland can do any longer.

Greenland doesn't give a f... about Western foreign policies btw. That not only applies to China, which it welcomes just like any other state, but also Russia. I have some knowledge to that that I cannot state openly. But stating the publicly known, Greenland is for example not part of the sanctions regimes enacted by the European Union against Russia, and thus also not the victim of Russian counter sanctions.

It basically makes its own foreign policy. Those are privileges which it would not have as a US territory.

First of all Danish debt fluctuates and is totally susceptible to trade volatility.
    Secondly, Puerto Rico gets plenty of money from the US. The problem there is local corruption.
    Third, try getting too close to Russia or China and see what happens. The US will not and should not tolerate any threats to security. Just sayin'.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Good on him, he's not afraid to aim big and he knows what he wants.

Edit: Also, it was only 102 years ago that Denmark sold the Danish West Indies to America for $25 million ($489 million adjusted for inflation). You may know these islands as the US Virgin Islands.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; August 16, 2019 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Sylva View Post
    Trump is said to have discussed internally the plan to buy Greenland from Denmark.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49367792

As it may be a smart move because of Greenland's natural resources, such as coal, zinc, copper and iron ore, i personally find it worrying because of Trumps lately "softening" of US environmental protection laws. I fear an increased pollution of the Arctis.

I see also problems with the self determination right of the Greenlanders.

To buy a island or a region reminds me on the era of imperialism. Its obsolete.

What do you think?
    I don't really see the issue, but I don't really see a benefit. Denmark is an ally, a dependable one at that. Natural resources in greenland are a bit of a joke if you ask me. There is a reason why the island hasn't been exploited for is natural resources in the same way that say, Canada currently is. You need to prospect the island, you need to set up the infrastructure, and you need to guarantee a profit. All of these things take time, resources, and government support. Greenland has a lot of potential, but large-scale commercial exploitation of Greenland's resources won't really start until a couple decades in at least.

This is yet another one of those random Trump blurbs that don't make any sense.

I suspect that for the Greenlanders, remaining with Denmark is the best choice. Not only because it's the "devil they know", but also because it's relatively small and doesn't have the overwhelming presence a larger colonial overlord might have.
    That said, selling it to the US (if that were possible) might be the second or third best option for Greenland, Denmark, and Europe. I wouldn't recommend selling it to Russia, and giving any inch of it to the Chinese is obviously retarded. And if you give it to Canada, you might as well give it to China directly (also, why would Canada need even more empty frozen space? It's already too big for its own good).

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast