Thread: Does changing battle difficulty change AI tactics ?

Default Does changing battle difficulty change AI tactics ?

I'm sick and tired of seeing the AI funneling a full stack through one entrance of an open non walled city....
    I know difficulty is balanced for Normal, but if I was to increase it to Hard, would it make the AI any smarter, as in them splitting up their army and attacking from multiple entrances. Or does increasing difficulty just give then "cheat buffs" ?

Default Re: Does changing battle difficulty change AI tactics ?

My understanding is that it just adds cheat buffs.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Yea I thought so....
    dammit it's the same damn story for every video game out there no matter the genre, you'd figure with all the AI advancements in the tech industry in recent years especially, these gaming companies would invest some money into getting themselves a properly working AI.
    Sports games are the worst offenders as the AI there literally reads your controller input then reacts accordingly, so your defender goes left literally the moment you do, it's like playing your shadow

The one ray of hope I've seen is the way Microsoft is going about it, for their Forza AI apparently it gathers data from all the people racing online and molds their AI cars according to that data... Probably the only and best way to make an AI, mirroring an actual human.

It's interesting that in 3k changing of battle difficulty is changing AI behavior. On a higher difficulties AI ranged units are not wasting their ammo on well armored units, you can't cheat by getting closer to them and make them waste their ammunition on your elite units, but they would do that on normal battle settings. This was discovered by Legend of Total War (legend of exploits if you will).

I wonder if they can add stuff like that to the older titles. I think we all want smarter AI on higher difficulties, ideally if generals would have their own favorite tactics and capable ability to use them.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

I was discovered by many more people as I think even CA mentioned it and I already modded out stat bonuses for higher battle difficulty so you can have better BAI without buffs in 3K in first days after release.

Which is really sad that you cant have better BAI without hughe stat buffs in the base game, you can either have stupid BAI with no buffs or better BAI with huge buffs.

Anyway, same does not apply to Rome 2 anyway as you cant edit AI buffs or AI itself.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Kam, after all this years of doing of what you was doing as a team for Rome, do you have a chance to ask CA directly if they can fix some legacy issues or give some tools to you?

There is a great mod called Long War for Xcom. Those guys not only have direct dialogue with developers, but they add and fix stuff together. With Xcom 2 release, they were actually hired and got paid by Firaxis. DEI team deserves same thing more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Vardano View Post
    Kam, after all this years of doing of what you was doing as a team for Rome, do you have a chance to ask CA directly if they can fix some legacy issues or give some tools to you?

There is a great mod called Long War for Xcom. Those guys not only have direct dialogue with developers, but they add and fix stuff together. With Xcom 2 release, they were actually hired and got paid by Firaxis. DEI team deserves same thing more than anyone else.

^
    This - given how successful DeI is, and that the modders after 6 years are basically experts at modding total war games, have you tried approaching CA personally to see if they'd release some of the modding features re AI etc?

I don't know if they'd do it for average joe, but i imagine the devs who worked on Rome 2 know about DeI

a.ieraci's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Vardano View Post

The interest in Rome 2 is still very high, just look at the steam statistics. The CA should hire the creators of this mod and release Divide Et Impera Alexander as free dlc, but in exchange for allowing the modification of some parts of hard-coded code that would allow the main mod to make some changes otherwise impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by a.ieraci View Post
    The interest in Rome 2 is still very high, just look at the steam statistics. The CA should hire the creators of this mod and release Divide Et Impera Alexander as free dlc, but in exchange for allowing the modification of some parts of hard-coded code that would allow the main mod to make some changes otherwise impossible.
    Those steam stats are well-known, DEI subforum usually have as many visitors as the whole TWC combined. The only reason we got updates and DLC's for Rome is that DEI saved it back then, it's a truly phenomena. CA have to show some class and reward this guys. And fans as well for that matter