Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Pepper Spray be Legalised?

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Should Pepper Spray be Legalised?

I read that pepper spray was illegal in most of Europe in another thread today, so I looked it up and found this webpage which linked me to this news story of a Danish girl who was prosecuted for possession and use of pepper spray against a rapist.

The 17-year-old, from the coastal town of Sonderborg, was forced to the ground by an English-speaking man who tried to undress her. She was later warned by police that the pepper spray she used on him was illegal for private citizens to possess, and that she would face a £50 fine.
    Pepper spray is almost completely banned in the UK. Its ownership, carry and use by common citizens is bannedunder Section 5(1)(b) of the Firearms Act 1968.

Believe it or not, in the UK pepper spray / CS Gas is
    considered a firearm and carries the same legal penalties as carrying a gundoes! If you are caught with pepper spray or import it, you will face arrest and a subsequent criminal record. You may even face deportation from the UK.

However, there are so-called “self-defense” spays that are legal in the UK. Often called
    “criminal identifier” sprays, they do not contain any noxious substances or chemicals and are not designed to injure or cause harm to others. Rather, the sprays are designed to mark an attacker with both a visible and invisible marker dye. The visible dye often takes at least 7 days to come off.
    I’m genuinely curious to find out what you guys think. In the UK, I think it should definitely be legalised for purposes of self defence, particularly in the current climate in parts of the UK. There’s a full list of which European countries in which you’re allowed pepper spray and which you’re not in the first link.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Default Re: Should Pepper Spray be Legalised?

Too easy for muggers to use, although that said, less lethal than a knife....for once I don't know the answer.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Too easy for muggers to use, although that said, less lethal than a knife....for once I don't know the answer.
    Is there any evidence that muggers use pepper spray? Pepper spray is legal in a lot of US states, so there should be data if muggers were using it. Pepper spray is safer to use that a gun for self defense, and probably a taser.

Too easy for muggers to use
    I would rather her the mugger used pepper spray than a knife or gun. Make the penalties for using pepper spray to.commit a crime as stiff as for using a gun, and that will discourage muggers from using it.
    Last edited by Tango12345; August 15, 2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: consecutive posts merged

United States has something better than pepper spray. Cold steel and handguns. I don't think pepper spray should be legalized, it is a weapon. Personally I am of the opinion that weapons should be legal, but Europe clearly does not think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Is there any evidence that muggers use pepper spray? Pepper spray is legal in a lot of US states, so there should be data if muggers were using it. Pepper spray is safer to use that a gun for self defense, and probably a taser.
    American's inclined to crime can buy a gun, legaly with few background checks, why would they bother with pepper spray?

i'm on the fence, as a husband and father I don't think I'd have a problem with my girls carrying pepper spray. As a retailer I know how easy it'd be for pikies and nefarious types to use it in a robbery.

I honestly don't know about this one.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

No. There are less dangerous ways to protect oneself from rapists.

Muggers would carry knives after legalization as well. They already do not care for the law and know how to evade it.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; August 16, 2019 at 07:57 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Miles

A bow and arrow then? Isn't it mandatorry for Englishmen to carry them at all times?

What about a pepper shaker? You shake (or crack) the pepper into your hand, and then you blow it into the mugger's faces. Not that I would know how effective pepper sprayed in such a way would be as a weapon, I tend to only put salt in my food.

UK has self-defense sprays instead. It disorients the attacker and marks him or her for days for easier identification.
    The Armenian Issue

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

American's inclined to crime can buy a gun, legaly with few background checks, why would they bother with pepper spray?
    Depends if you don't care about a murder rap or are too high for it to matter than sure a gun, but if you do want to minimize the risk of a murder one added to your burglary, and want a subdue option, not involving a limb shot. Options man.
    Last edited by conon394; August 17, 2019 at 09:30 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    UK has self-defense sprays instead. It disorients the attacker and marks him or her for days for easier identification.
    If the self-defense spray disorients the attacker, then the attacker could use it to disorient the victim, and make.it easier to rob them. The attacker won't care if his victim is covered with did, somthe self defense spray could be misused by mugger, same as the pepper spray. So what is gained?

The dye would make it easier to identify and catch the mugger later, but that won't do you any good if he has already cracked your skull with a cricket bat. The pepper spray seems like.it could do a better job ofnimmediately incapacitating the mugger and lead to a.more immediate arrest.

If the self-defense spray disorients the attacker, then the attacker could use it to disorient the victim, and make.it easier to rob them. The attacker won't care if his victim is covered with did, somthe self defense spray could be misused by mugger, same as the pepper spray. So what is gained?

The dye would make it easier to identify and catch the mugger later, but that won't do you any good if he has already cracked your skull with a cricket bat. The pepper spray seems like.it could do a better job ofnimmediately incapacitating the mugger and lead to a.more immediate arrest.
    The spray doesn't do physical harm. That's the point. There are different versions. Some use horrible odors for example. A pepper spray can be used as an offensive weapon much more. It also doesn't really mean the mugger will just lie unconscious waiting for the cops.
    The Armenian Issue

The spray doesn't do physical harm. That's the point. There are different versions. Some use horrible odors for example. A pepper spray can be used as an offensive weapon much more. It also doesn't really mean the mugger will just lie unconscious waiting for the cops.
    Pepper spray doesn't do permanent physical harm, which is why it is used. And a mugger will have a difficult time running away to avoid the pics when they can't see. Just put on a fresh hoody, pull it over to cover one's face, and the mugger can likely escape. And if the mugger is a serial killer bent on doing harm, offensive orders might noot stop them if they don't have a sense of smell.

If I were to be miskenly sprayed, I am not sure I wouldn't preferred to be hit by pepper spray, which will clear up after a couple hours, than be permanently stained blue in the face for the next few weeks. It would be interesting to compare the effectiveness of pepper spray with the defensive sprays.

However, I suspect that the defensive sprays are at least as effective as pepper spray, and since it does less physical harm, might well be preferred. With defensive sprays, I agree there is not a driving justification for insisting on legalizing pepper sprays, defensive sprays are a valid alternative.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; August 19, 2019 at 03:50 PM.

Pepper spray doesn't do permanent physical harm, which is why it is used. And a mugger will have a difficult time running away to avoid the pics when they can't see. Just put on a fresh hoody, pull it over to cover one's face, and the mugger can likely escape. And if the mugger is a serial killer bent on doing harm, offensive orders might noot stop them if they don't have a sense of smell.

If I were to be miskenly sprayed, I am not sure I wouldn't preferred to be hit by pepper spray, which will clear up after a couple hours, than be permanently stained blue in the face for the next few weeks. It would be interesting to compare the effectiveness of pepper spray with the defensive sprays.

However, I suspect that the defensive sprays are at least as effective as pepper spray, and since it does less physical harm, might well be preferred. With defensive sprays, I agree there is not a driving justification for insisting on legalizing pepper sprays, defensive sprays are a valid alternative.
    If we're talking about Hannibal Lecter, pepper spray would be useless as well. Pepper spray is known to be a factor in death of sprayed individuals. So, they're likely looking for means to deflect an attacker without possibly causing their death. Some defensive sprays show themselves under UV light so the attacker doesn't realize he's marked. Other ones simply help the attacker being spotted in a crowd. In the heat of the moment, that person will likely not be aware of being marked anyways. The non-pepper defensive sprays seems to irritate the eye similarly as if there is soap in the eye according to their descriptions. So, basically the same effect.
    The Armenian Issue

Simple answer, legalize concealed or open carry of firearms of purposes of self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Simple answer, legalize concealed or open carry of firearms of purposes of self-defense.
    Which exists for shotguns in UK.
    The Armenian Issue

Which exists for shotguns in UK.
    I think pistols would be more practical.

Blog Entries

The UK doesn’t have carry laws. You can’t bring a gun into town or a public place.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    The UK doesn’t have carry laws. You can’t bring a gun into town or a public place.
    I guess well-being of criminals for UK government is more important then that of law-abiding citizens.

Blog Entries

Wat

You troll but you still make me laugh sometimes.

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Should it be legal in the UK? Yes, especially in the UK. Those muggers who would use pepper spray are those who use acid nowadays for the same effect, the legal access to pepper spray would lower the number of those victims who go blind or suffer life changing injuries in acid involved muggings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast