Thread: Dwarves of Erebor v3 campaign

Default Dwarves of Erebor v3 campaign

A short breakdown and some tips for playing the Dwarves of Erebor

Early game

Hard fighting against the strong snow Orcs. Both Dain and Gimli's unit do most of the killing in these wars. Try and get into a fight with Dain as fast as you can. His 114 Sons of the Fallen cost a lot in upkeep, once they're reduced to 77 the upkeep gets reduced by several hundreds.

As for most factions, two spies for scouting and two diplomats for securing trade and alliances. I'v actually made peace with Rhun, so I could focus on one front.

Oracani barracks : usefull for early game spearmen. They come in handy when fighting Wargs. Don't build the archers, they are dead weight.

Dale Cavalry : needed for running down enemy troops. Leave the actual fighting to dwarves unless they're needed in an uphill fight. Keep a general in Erebor, he can hop into Dale territory and recruit them there as well.

Elite troops : Erebor axeguard. Build them but keep them in Erebor for free upkeep. You can't afford them and don't need more then one unit ( Gimli's ) There's plenty of AP in your army anyway. Iron Hill Mattlocks kill enemy generals just fine.

Economy : make sure you are upgrading your major cities always. Have a number of troops in the field so you can be building continuosly in the major cities.

Mid game

After killing the snow orcs, you have two options. Go for Angmar or go for Moria orcs. I choose Angmar because it's more logical. Don't expect much from the Angmar lands. They are not rich, and take big investments. It's more a long term investment. I guess one could just ignore Angmar or wait untill Ered-Luin has diminished their power before moving in with a secondary army and take some settlements.

Next target are the Moria Orcs. Goblin town is an absolute must have, in terms of income and strategic importance. Also Zugh Kala is farly rich, but often Elves or Dunedain snatch it from you. In any case try to get Khazad Dum west, as a capital of your southern lands.

After Khazad dum was retaken, I went for Dunland. By this time Isengard had nearly finished off Rohan so I'm preparing to declare on Isengard. The Dunland lands are necesary for this.

Meanwhile in the east, especially since I'v peaced them out early, Rhun has become very big. With the barrack event triggering, we now have tons of elite troops recruitable in the north. We've started sending them east for a Rhun war. The Dunland war is being fought with the leftovers from the Moria wars.

At this point the number of troops you can recruit outweigh the number you can sustain in the field. So you have to choose which ones you want.
    - Elites are still too expensive in my opinion. A single axeguard of Erebor can be handy per stack. But Sons the Fallen and other 600+upkeep troops are just too costly. I recruit them and stick them in Forts close to rich settlements. In case an enemy stack threathens for example Khazad dum west, I can instantly reinforce it with 440+ of the best troops in the game.
    - Against Rhun : at first I recruited most of the Halberds. Figuring they're strong against mounts and armour = perfect anti Rhun unit. In practice however the majority of enemy stacks are low tier troops and plenty of missiles everywhere. This made me change to recruiting mostly the spears and iron guard. Their shields make them very resiliant to the massive amount of missiles, while having plenty of spears makes quick work of their cavalry. Obviously I have a few units of King's Axes in each stack, for counter attacking and killing their heavy Infantry.
    - Dwarven Catapults. Build many. In many battles they score most kills and they are the cheapest unit by that time. They slow down your army but makes battles much easier. Enemies tend to come to you if you have catapults.
    - Crossbows : have yet to experiment with them on a suffisant scale. I guess they can be awesome for an army defending a bridge. ( or ford between Isengard and Dunland... )

Tactics against Rhun are straightforward : don't fight in the open a lot. I advance and take their towns with an elite stack, while a mixture of militia, T1 and unupgraded elites defend towns against counter attacks. Even if they get whiped out, they will have killed so many Rhun soldiers it's worth the trade. After that, take the town again and let them bleed you out again. You can recruit plenty of troops, just keep sending them east. The nice thing is that the AI often thinks it has the upperhand when assaulting a siege. Because for example cavalry has a high value in calculating a troop's worth. But when they're in a city in a street against a basic dwarf spear unit, they will simply die and do next to nothing. So the AI typically assaults when they have build enough siege, even though they are chanceless and will waste their stack, including their fancy cavalry.

Late game

Only getting to this point now. My Rhun war is going niceley, can't rush them because they have too much stacks and my supply lines only get longer but very slowly I'm advancing.

I'm about to attack Isengard with a single militia/T1 stack, while they probably have multiple elite stacks. But I need to distract them from putting those stacks against Gondor. So I'll be playing a guerilla war untill I'm done with Rhun, or possibly make a peace with Rhun after reaching certain settlements.
    I'm also going to snatch Isengard itself with a blitz, and leave my leaderless T1 stack to defend it. While my general goes guerilla with some left overs. I just want to get their stack's attention, while trying to minimize my upkeep in this war. Maybe give some regions to allies to get them drawn in is a good tactic as well.

Looking forward to that moment when my Elite stack reaches the Black Gate !
    Last edited by Kulgan; August 14, 2019 at 04:26 AM.

Default Re: Dwarves of Erebor v3 campaign

Frankly, if you're strapped for cash as dwarves, you're doing it wrong. First focus should be economy, you can get easily 2k per turn from just the highest tier mines in Erebor. Secondly, If you can't afford your elites, sacrifice your lower tier units. The elites are deadly enough that you don't need many. Other than that, your strategy is excellent, though I suggest facing Rhun ASAP as their elites are a threat

Baruk Khazd! Khazd ai-mnu!

I recommend a pugio rather than a spear, because in close quarters combat, a dagger will serve you better than a spear.

Rad, 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSol View Post
    Frankly, if you're strapped for cash as dwarves, you're doing it wrong. First focus should be economy, you can get easily 2k per turn from just the highest tier mines in Erebor. Secondly, If you can't afford your elites, sacrifice your lower tier units. The elites are deadly enough that you don't need many. Other than that, your strategy is excellent, though I suggest facing Rhun ASAP as their elites are a threat
    Did you actually play the Dwarves in V3? Do you know how many infantry you can spawn after the barracks event? Building all the elite infantry will lead to massive coin loss per turn. It's quite simple impossible.

And quite frankly the Rhun Elites are a joke when you have tons of exellent AP units in your roster. King's axes chop through Loke-Rim whatever like butter. The more elites they field the happier I am.

I have played Erebor in V3, I do it all the time. Yes, I know dwarven elites are expensive, but you should have the economic base to support them after 60 turns.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSol View Post
    I have played Erebor in V3, I do it all the time. Yes, I know dwarven elites are expensive, but you should have the economic base to support them after 60 turns.
    From my more limited plays with Erebor, you can run into money problems if you haven't invested a lot in building up your settlements and if you don't take more mountain regions with mines. The initial game can be quite tight money wise so falling behind on upgrading settlements can happen easily imo.