Thread: Guess where? Because I don't know!

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Guess where? Because I don't know!

Hey forum,

Wondering if anyone might be able to identify where this was taken, at least, and perhaps when and by whom if you're a real sleuth. It's one of my 270 or so desktop backgrounds and I've given myself the task of identifying where they are all taken from, but I have struck out on reverse image searching and there's no useful data on the file. There is a bit of text in the bottom left corner, but other than the word AIR I can't make much out of it.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Any assistance would be great. Feel free to have a guess and I'll be handing out reps!

Frunk

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Guess where? Because I don't know!

According to my research these aparments are located in Boulogne-Sur-Mer, in the Pas-de-Calais département of Northern France. Found the image on some guy's travel blog. Wether or not the image was actually taken by the owner of the travel blog or wether it was just some random photo I'm not entierly sure. To narrow down its precise location, the blogger said that they were in the older part of Boulogne, within the Roman walls and also near the seaside (from memory) It also said that the blogger went to the site of the Basilica of Notre-Dame de Boulogne.

EDIT:
    I've never been to Boulogne so I have no idea if any of this info is accurate or relevant.
    Last edited by isa0005; August 12, 2019 at 10:37 PM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

I've been to Boulogne but this isn't something that sticks to you as that's something you find in basically every old town. I found it on google maps though: https://www.google.nl/maps/@50.72515...7i13312!8i6656

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    I've been to Boulogne but this isn't something that sticks to you as that's something you find in basically every old town. I found it on google maps though: https://www.google.nl/maps/@50.72515...7i13312!8i6656
    Nice find!

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Next time Shia hangs a flag up, we'll be ready. We will beat 4chan!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Brilliant sleuthing, gents! I'm very impressed! @isa do you happen to have a link to that blog? How did you find it, by the way? Still nothing for me via reverse image search. Ah, simply adding "Boulogne" as the description of the image brings it up in visually similar images. This is it I assume.

+rep to lolI, Cookiegod (good one! ) and I owe one to isa - can someone rep him for me please?

I can't remember at all where I found this image and it is somewhat an unremarkable locale by the looks of that street view, but there is the town hall adjacent and the cathedral in walking distance too. Looks like a nice area. I think there's just something about the photo composition and the blue sky, orange roofs, white walls and windows which is aesthetically pleasing. Overall the town looks like a place I could stop by if I'm lucky enough to get over there again.
    Last edited by Frunk; August 14, 2019 at 04:18 AM.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

4chan literally found the flag when it hang in a room with nothing else to see but the white wall behind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    I owe one to isa - can someone rep him for me please?
    Can't help you with that. I already repped isa and lolsuck for my own selfish interests this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Happy to be of service Frunk and yes that is the travel blog! I reverse searched the image through google and it just came up haha

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    Brilliant sleuthing, gents! I'm very impressed! @isa do you happen to have a link to that blog? How did you find it, by the way? Still nothing for me via reverse image search. Ah, simply adding "Boulogne" as the description of the image brings it up in visually similar images. This is it I assume.

+rep to lolI, Cookiegod (good one! ) and I owe one to isa - can someone rep him for me please?

I can't remember at all where I found this image and it is somewhat an unremarkable locale by the looks of that street view, but there is the town hall adjacent and the cathedral in walking distance too. Looks like a nice area. I think there's just something about the photo composition and the blue sky, orange roofs, white walls and windows which is aesthetically pleasing. Overall the town looks like a place I could stop by if I'm lucky enough to get over there again.
    I repped isa. All in all wasn't too hard once isa determined it was Boulogne. The town isn't that big, the walled part even less so and there are only a few spots the pic could have been taken as most of it is fairly narrow streets. It's certainly a nice town and in the Roman times the starting point of a road to Cologne which went through my town as well.