Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Submod] Alternative Traits-WIP

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

Default Re: [Submod] Alternative Traits (Obsolete)

Good timing Goffredo, just started working on it today.

Traits are almost ready, though need to do some tests about their trigger chances. I don't want traits super rare, and I certainly do not want trait slots piled up within a few turns. Gotta find the sweet spot. Oh and icons. I'm crap at that.

I can't decide if I should release it or develop it further by adding numerous Paradox style events related to character traits.

Speaking of events, I also can't decide if the events should focus on faction leaders only or the faction itself. For example how can I represent Olympic Games in Greece? Should a character stationed at Peloponessos trigger the event? Or should I time it so that the faction itself gets the event every 5 years? This is what happens when you have got so many ideas but a limited engine in front of you.

but fear not, sooner or later (which means later...) his ideas will be developed
    I get the feeling that you have some ideas forming in your mind regarding character development Jake..

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Yes I do, basically by adding new "character" dimension through virtual points...
    But honestly I haven't decided anything yet nor haven't really started working on it.
    So keep going with yours, could be a good basis for further developements.

Semisalis

Wonderful news! can't wait to try it out!

Semisalis

hey valerius how is the work going on? give us some hints!

Hello, sorry for the very late response. Work is rather slow, I had to take a break due to a heavy pneumonia which confined me to bed during first half of March. It is an awkward time to get sick.

Anyways bright side of that virus is it will allow me to continue testing without worrying about work and school. There are some mysteries I am looking to solve such as randomization issues in base game, AI behaviour, events & dilemmas and trait trigger chances. Still doing some tweaks here and there.

Here are some hints if you want :)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Doing some experiments with dilemma events:

Here is the new levelled skill tree and how traits will look like:

Patrician

Default Re: [Submod] Alternative Traits-WIP

ah... I've started (really slowly) to work on inc/dil too.
    How are you working? through tracking efects and trigger events or with another way?
    I'm doing them linked to climate (which I'm overhauling) and buildings/single regions.
    It's really interesting what you're doing btw. If you have time and will please explain your current projects (here or in the alcove), this way we could avoid working differently on the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    ah... I've started (really slowly) to work on inc/dil too.
    How are you working? through tracking efects and trigger events or with another way?
    I'm doing them linked to climate (which I'm overhauling) and buildings/single regions.
    It's really interesting what you're doing btw. If you have time and will please explain your current projects (here or in the alcove), this way we could avoid working differently on the same things.
    Ah good. Looking forward to some previews.

Currently I only generate events by cdir. Scripting part seem to offer more creativity on paper, but in truth, cdir is much more versatile with options such as effect bundles, attributes, gravitas, political party etc. Most things you can do in lua is doable in cdir as well (seasons, year, char age, battles won, has trait). At least in my case. Because I only deal with character aspect of this. I would only plan to trigger certain #events that cant doable in cdir, like FactionSignsPeace, FactionGoesBankrupt, CharacterWoundedInAssassinationAttempt etc..

I don't think we work on same things, unless you plan to interfere with trait&ancillary business. I will write about in alcove.

Patrician

ok perfect

I tried to use the dilemma function via script but:
    1) you can have 2 choices at max
    2) it didn't trigger effects... probably 'cause you need to build a related indidents for every dilemma choice, at least this I've noticed while helping a guy doing events for the attila mk1212 mod and while doing the first templates for the climate overhaul.
    Are you able to trigger dilemmas effects without related incidents?

Also, dilemmas and incidents via script can be factional only and there is no way to assign them outside factions, afaik.

The cool thing to do via script is to assign effects to an army respections your scripted conditions (and so to a character) and then trigger dilemmas via the CND_HAS_EFFECT_BUNDLE whatever.
    This will largley improve the event trigger both for basic things and things like RPGu and VPS (when I'll do a VPS system for character, pretty far in the future though.
    You could also avoid using the random dices inside cdir which I honestly find rather buggy (in some situations I've tested).

keep going with this mod, vk

1) you can have 2 choices at max
    Welll thats discouraging..

Actually I think you can get effects without incidents but it will be immediately assigned the moment you click a choice. Check Ravages of War dilemma in my screenshot, 7500 denari immediately removed from treasury upon clicking. I would still choose a followup incident because of unpredictability

Also, dilemmas and incidents via script can be factional only and there is no way to assign them outside factions, afaik.
    We can obviously get around this by some creativity. Say, you just signed peace with Ptolemies, following turn a dilemma appears to you to negotiate peace conditions, exchanging hostages, tributes etc.

Right! You can pretty much do anything with CND_HAS_EFFECT_BUNDLE. It is very very versatile. Have you found a way to assign effect bundles to regions though?

Patrician

treasury upon clicking: treasury is not an effect, it's a payload, or at least so I call it. For effects I intend things that have to pass through effect_bundle tables. Things like treasury, power and other payloads are put in CAPS inside cdir tables.
    try to link an effect and you'll see what I'm talking about

assign effect bundles to regions though: no, sadly no. I've thought many possibilities but the lack of the CA function makes them unreachable.
    Apart from spawning sort of ghost generals through which you can apply effects. But I think this workaround will be too tricky.
    I've tried also by linking effects to garrison captains since they are considered generals by lua but they aren't considered owners of an army and so... they are useless. As you know we lack even a function for characters meaning that we mostly have to rely on faction or armies.
    This is why the various CND_HAS_EFFECT_BUNDLE can be very handful to define strategical/rpg features.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123