Thread: Question about The Saxon Army

Default Question about The Saxon Army

Hi eveyrone

I was wondering about the Historic Accuracy of The Saxon Army, i recently watched " The Last Kingdom" Show and i'm a little bit confused about the Saxon Army (Armour, Weapons, Costumes...etc)

So, Which is the Most Historically Accurate Saxon Army? The one from the Show or the Shieldwall Mod?

Here you have some pics from the Show:

Cheers!

AmericanCaesar's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Question about The Saxon Army

The Last Kingdom is literally the only place I have ever seen Saxons as being portrayed with those rectangle shields. Any other source portrays them as having the bossed round shields. It could be that the costume designers wanted to have something to make them stand out more from the Vikings during action sequences. Kite shields didn't come into wide use until much later.

This is what regular saxon Fyrdsman would've looked like in the Xth century. There was no uniformisation amongts their armament, nor clothing.
    All warriors paid for their equipment themselves and the general standard was a shield (either round or lenticular in shape and covered in rawhide) and a spear.

The Last Kingdom botched the looks of pretty much every culture, I wouldn't use that series as a good source of information about viking age armies.

Thanks for your answers, i'm not an expert in this kind of period in England, i guess you're right.

By the way, i'll use this thread to ask about the battle sistem (if i'm allowed to)

How does the new "Shieldwall" Battle Sistem works? i'm playing as the Saxons and i've noticed a perk named "Bulwark" but i cannot use it.

Also the "Shieldwall" looks very similar as the same one of the vanilla game.

i've tryed to get some info through the threads of the forum but i didn't earn anything.

Kind Regards.