Thread: Non-convertible/small camp development tips as a non nomadic faction

Default Non-convertible/small camp development tips as a non nomadic faction

Greetings everyone!

I wanted to have some tips you may be able to share regarding whats the best way to manage these camps. I know how conversion foes thanks to the guide, but the idea here is more of how to hold these camps most efficiently as Im always a bit lost on what to do with them.
    We are talking mainly here about the kind of camps that are not very valuable (at least short term) because they are qutie small, sometimes in remote regions of the mao, but you eventually conquer and hold to avoid raids and such and maybe try to get some extra troops that are not that common in your faction.

I find that this kind of camp early on only allows the most basic of governments. Either the basic allied one (no democracy or oligarchy) or the basic factional one, I assume due to the small settlement size. The mid/longterm objective for me is to hold the region at a reduced cost, maybe with some surplus, but mainly been able to levy some troops without needign a big cost to hold the reion. If the camp is convertible, that would be the objective longterm but those tend to start out a bit better.
    The thing is that goverment buildings and settlement size tend to have a notable impact in what can be built in a province, but its difficult to know the former without delving into the files and later in camps tends to be mroe confusing than in settled regions (or at least Im not as used to it to know).

To develop further and be more specific, aside of your general strategies when dealing/developping with them, the things I would like to know are the following:

- Does it make a difference, regarding what you can build, having either the basic allied or factional government built?

- Can the factional government of a settled faction ever evolve in camps as they grow?

- Assuming is a convertible camp, is either path better to achieve that goal?

- What version does give more/better troops longterm? Assuming the camps are relatively close to your core, as in far off provinces allied govs are always better in that regard.

- Is it worth it to have a FM managing the camp with a factional government asuming PO can be dealt with? This question goes in the sense if its good for the FM itself or it will get bad traits due to been a camp. Independantly of the other effects of the questions above. I tend to try to limit allied governments a lot due to how client rulers mess with the famility tree system, so this would be mostly comparing if its worth it to put a governor there assuming I already want a factional government due to other reasons.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

We will either find a way, or make one.

Default Re: Non-convertible/small camp development tips as a non nomadic faction

If you can build an advanced factional government in nomadic areas/camps, it will generally be better than allied government.

The only allied government line true nomadic camps can have is the Oligarchy. If you can build Democracy, it is not a camp, but a settlement.

You can only convert Camps that feature the Pastoral Region building in them. If they don't, it is a permanent Nomadic region, and can never be converted. If it is a Pastoral Region in a Camp and you can't convert, you are not one of the few factions that can convert camps into settlements. If it is a Pastoral Region and is NOT a Camp, it is already a settlement, and thus, doesn't need to be converted.

The biggest asset Camps offer, in general, are the Warhorse Herds, that offer sizable cavalry recruitment. Coupled with the Oligarchy government, you will be able to get a considerable Cavalry auxilia out of these camps. Either heavily armored (for Cavalry, have in mind) nobles or cheap, nimble warriors, they will be an asset. If you can set an advanced military recruitment factional government, things may get even better depending on your faction. Be mindful of Nomad Enclaves, they can give you some nice help, as well as colonies if you can build them.

Default Re: Non-convertible/small camp development tips as a non nomadic faction

Just a small note on Allied Governments, you can only build Oligarchies in camps.

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    If you can build an advanced factional government in nomadic areas/camps, it will generally be better than allied government.

The only allied government line true nomadic camps can have is the Oligarchy. If you can build Democracy, it is not a camp, but a settlement.

You can only convert Camps that feature the Pastoral Region building in them. If they don't, it is a permanent Nomadic region, and can never be converted. If it is a Pastoral Region in a Camp and you can't convert, you are not one of the few factions that can convert camps into settlements. If it is a Pastoral Region and is NOT a Camp, it is already a settlement, and thus, doesn't need to be converted.

The biggest asset Camps offer, in general, are the Warhorse Herds, that offer sizable cavalry recruitment. Coupled with the Oligarchy government, you will be able to get a considerable Cavalry auxilia out of these camps. Either heavily armored (for Cavalry, have in mind) nobles or cheap, nimble warriors, they will be an asset. If you can set an advanced military recruitment factional government, things may get even better depending on your faction. Be mindful of Nomad Enclaves, they can give you some nice help, as well as colonies if you can build them.
    Thanks for the help! I already knew the bit about pastoral regions and it been convertible or not. I didnt knew they were oligarchy only though I guess it makes sense.

So factionals tend to be better assuming they are availble, long term. But what about short term? PO aside, when the camp is small you can still build more/develop it faster with the factional precursor than with allied? Also, is there a way to know what tier of factional you are gonna be able to reach? The factions that revolve around camps tend to have good options, but with more settled factions it can vary a lot I believe depending on area and the faction itself. Bosporans have a specific tree regarding camps, but its difficult to know what you are gonna be able to get with other factions. I wonder if Carthage given its getting so many different "governments" will have some specific now to represent their interactions with nearby nomads/tribals.

I knew about the enclaves, problem is they are quite restricted. Only Bosporans and Takashila can build them from the more "settled" factions so its moslty an extra option for factions that already build around camps.

We will either find a way, or make one.