Thread: Mass route instead of fighting to the last man

Default Mass route instead of fighting to the last man

Losing AI armies tend to fight to the last unit, instead of routing en mass when and the battle ending when the balance of power has shifted hopelessly out of their favor. This results in battles lasting a lot longer than necessary and requires you to do a lot of tedious mop up. Chasing down the returning fragments of units and waiting for reinforcing armies to slowly trickle in is really time consuming and boring with 40 unit armies and large maps, and only results in higher casualties for the AI.

Is it possible for the battles to be decided sooner, like in Rome 2 where the victor is called once the bulk off the enemy force begins to route? If there are some variables that can be tweaked to achieve this, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Mass route instead of fighting to the last man

kv_morale file. Raise the total casualties and army destruction penalties-that will do the job

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    kv_morale file. Raise the total casualties and army destruction penalties-that will do the job
    Sweet, thanks! Are the penalties a percentage or are they just added up and weighed against any positive morale? I'm going to try increasing them by 50% and see how that goes.

I've been increasing the values, the total_casualties penalty_80 an _90 are at -100 and -200 now, respectively, and the concerened_army_destruction is at -200. Previously the highest value for any of these penalties was -50. Still the enemy pretty much fights to the last man. Stragglers still come back for seconds after the rest of the army is dead, and I still have to chase down their artillery to end the battle. Any suggestions?