Thread: Need Help On Something I noticed While Working on My New Mod

Default Need Help On Something I noticed While Working on My New Mod

I noticed that Bretonnian knight helmets actually have a proper complete model under that cloth crest. However Ive also noticed that the cloth cant be removed through textures/normals/speculars. Anyone know how can I remove the clothing from the helmet model?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Need Help On Something I noticed While Working on My New Mod

Like this?

You only need to remove the cloths part from the diffuse texture (no need to edit the normals or speculars).

I'm using wsmodel and materials, it's easy to do when you know how to, but a little tricky

First, you need to use an alpha version of the shader

Like weighted2_random_colours_alpha

There is however a small issue with wsmodel: they appear "washed out". To get rid of this, I have to do this for the diffuse and specular (yes, specular also even if you don't change it)
    - Open with PhotoShop
    - Duplicate the layer
    - Paint the bottom layer completly black
    - Select the whole layer and use delete to make it transparent (but black transparent...)
    - Merge the top layer with bottom
    - Save using Intel Texture Works .dds format (this requires installing the plugin), and then Color + Alpha and BC3 8 bpp

Unfortunately, this is the only way I found to get a format that works well in game.

Saving with gimp is not good, to get rid of this effect.

You could also do it with rigid_model, but it requires "enabling" the transparency, it's not enabled for every model.

"To enable diffuse alpha ( alpha mode =1) open the model in HXD, go to the mesh group you want to edit, head over to the last texture string, there's a block of zerobytes, change the last 4 bytes from 00 00 00 00 to 01 00 00 00
    this will have to be done for all LODs"

Last edited by Steph; August 05, 2019 at 11:46 PM.

First of all, thank you for the reply. About photoshop, I cant afford it atm so only option I have is Gimp.

About the Wsmodel part, I was a bit confused in that part. Why should I use wsmodel, why can't I just edit the diffuse and then edit the rigid accordingly with HxD?

Also the rigid editing part, is it necesary? TBH I dont know which sections are what mesh or group I have zero experience with it. I'd be more comfortable with basic dds edits.

One last question is, is it against the TOS to publish knight helmets without crest ebcause its shocking that no one ever has published it?

By the way I have already removed the cloth part from the dds files and edited the helmets rigid model. It doesnt work atm but maybe is it because i also removed the cloth from specular, gloss etc too? Should I only remove it from the diffuse? If it is doable like that is

Okay so I have tried only removing it from diffuse but keeping the rest of dds' untouched and it didn't work. What am I not understanding here?