Thread: Feature Preview: WAR REPARATIONS

Default Feature Preview: WAR REPARATIONS

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears

The whole team is very excited to announce a brand new feature in Ancient Empires which has been appropriately branded War Reparations

This mechanic in its entirety has been created by new and talented addition to the team JMack, who has been working on it for the better part of weeks.

What is War Reparations, who does it affect, and what does it do? Let's delve into this. In brief summary, this new script attempts to emulate the historical culmination of the Second Punic War; Carthage, humiliated at Zama and having lost its grip of the Iberian peninsula, is forced to negotiate a peace with Rome. Severe war reparations are forced upon the state by Rome, in an attempt to reduce their influence. The War Reparations script entertains the possibility of Rome and Carthage making different choices than what they historically did - will Rome refuse Carthage's plea? Do the payments from Carthage appease the Romans, or will they demand more?

War Reparations Feature for AE

1. Overview

The feature will offer you a possibility to make peace with Carthage and parties involved
    under harsh Roman terms. Or if you are playing with Carthage chance to make peace and
    have a little harder campaign with those Roman terms forced onto your faction.

When the peace happens Carthage has its CAI personality changed to Defensive to mimic
    the behaviour that really happened all those years ago.

Playing as Rome you have options at turn two to continue war or demand consessions.
    If you continue war, everything will be same as your normal campaign without this feature.
    If you choose the latter option you will have two other options at next turn. First one is
    to force war reparations which will be the main option for this feature. It will make
    Rome gain war reparations and also sanction Carthage and limit its money reserves.
    Other one is to force Sanctions on Carthage which will then you guessed it, force
    sanctions (just limiting Carthages potential).

2. War reparations detailed

2.1 General
    The condition of having a possibility to force war reparations or sanctions is that
    Publius Cornelius Scipio has won the battle of Zama at turn one.

Just for notion, after each choice the game is autosaved.

To see how reparations are going, you'll have message every turn telling you around
    figure of how much reparations were paid in that turn. Reparations have a possibility
    of having eccellent year or a really poor year and the reparations are paid acoordingly.
    Also there is a possibility of a eccellent or really poor season and again that affects
    the amount of reparations.

There is also yearly overview message to tell around figure of how much reparations
    you've got.

If in multiplayer, players are playing both Rome and Carthage, option for Carthage to
    beg alleviation to payments is disabled.

2.2 Playing as Rome
    There are seven levels of war reparations: alleviated by three, alleviated by two,
    alleviated by one, normal, harshened by one, harshened by two, harshened by three.
    You can demand more reparations by three times with each time a possibility of Carthage
    to declare war on you out of desperation. Harsher the terms, more probable the chance
    for war. In addition harshened terms also have a yearly chance of Carthage declaring war.
    Chance for demanding more comes up every 2 years (8 turns).

Also every year there is a chance of Carthage asking alleviation to the terms. You can
    either agree or disagree their pleas. If you choose agree, your relations to Carthage
    will slowly start to get better over time. If you alleviate the terms many times, the
    better relations you'll have.

2.3 Playing as Carthage
    From Carhages point of view, there is a chance to beg alleviation of the reparation terms.
    Plea for alleviation will have a slim chance of that Rome agrees. Also this might make
    Rome angry and declare war against you. If you manage to ask alleviations second time
    you'll have even less of a chance to get it and more of a chance of war. Same goes for
    asking third time.

2.4 Playing a faction other faction than Rome or Carthage
    If you play any other faction than Rome or Carthage, there will always be war
    reparations forced on Carthage

If you are really lucky and playing as Carthage you manage to pay the reparations for
    50 years (200 turns), you'll get a message reporting that reparations have been paid.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

Default Re: Feature Preview: WAR REPARATIONS

Cant wait to try it on for size, thanks for all your work Sheridan & Team! Looking at the size of Scipio's army, its taken a hell of a beating from Hannibal.

Very interesting! Would it be possible to also enforce some sort of maximum army the carthage player can have? Say, if you have more than 25 units (as Carthage), Rome declares war as it sees that as a threat. It could add for a bigger challenge for the player.

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Brilliant. This is the sort of thing that really makes the game more fun.

All,

is this feature in the game now? i dont see it.

hey, yes it is. Are you sure you've fulfilled the conditions as either Rome or Carthage to trigger it?

Semisalis

Is it already there? It did not happen for me too playing as Rome. Which are the conditions besides winning Zama?

that should be it, winning Zama. You should get an event decision popping up after that. The event also tends to occur when playing as another faction, so maybe end a few turns with someone else and if it still isn't working then redownload? Not sure what could be wrong

Semisalis

Lots of turns have passed. I'm in 199 right now. I've also noticed that the campaign does not start immediately with the battle like in the old version but you have to actually engage hannibal's army on the campaign map. Is this inteded? Or is it part of the problem?

EDIt: found the problem. it was a conflict with the the region trading mod. even using the AE compatibility patch it seems to not be compatible right now.
    Last edited by Goffredo85; August 10, 2019 at 06:48 AM.

This should be use with every faction. Say I Macedon sack a nearby barbarian city and then I will demand war reparations, or if a faction is very close to conquer a city of mine than I could offer reparations.

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by chriswhr View Post
    This should be use with every faction. Say I Macedon sack a nearby barbarian city and then I will demand war reparations, or if a faction is very close to conquer a city of mine than I could offer reparations.
    Not experienced with scripting but that does not seem possible because we do not have a condition that checks if enemy faction is reduced to one settlement. Even if the team can find another way, creating such listener would be a huge work for every faction and undoubtedly performance heavy.

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by chriswhr View Post
    You can just demand that they become a tributary/client state (not puppet), or offer to become one. The tables can be edited so that a faction which has been thoroughly messed up will always offer to become a tributary or will accept that demand if you make it. It can also be edited so that you don't have to go to war to defend them and if they refuse to join defensive wars they will remain as tributaries. I've done this before, it's quite simple but takes a lot of tedious balancing to make it fair and not boring.

Quote Originally Posted by valerius karamanus View Post
    Not experienced with scripting but that does not seem possible because we do not have a condition that checks if enemy faction is reduced to one settlement. Even if the team can find another way, creating such listener would be a huge work for every faction and undoubtedly performance heavy.
    You don't need a condition that checks if an enemy faction is reduced to one settlement. You can rather trivially get a list of all settlements of a faction and check it's length, and it wouldn't be performance heavy either as you would only need to check upon the conclusion of a battle that a human player is involved in. I bet it could be done in a fairly generic manner and work for all factions.

Of course, there's work involved in making it work sensibly. You'd need additional checks to ensure that, for example, the player can't just wait for the AI to regain a settlement and then immediately attack again to get double war reparations or whatever. You could probably calculate some strength value from a faction's armies and settlements, and then determine that if the player has caused a faction to lose enough strength over the past x turns, then war reparations are offered.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Helghast88's Avatar Foederatus

So how can the Roman player go the historical way, force war reparations as well as to strip Carthage of all territories except for the city of Carthage itself??