Thread: Baktrian Phalangitai

Laetus

Default Baktrian Phalangitai

How do i get them - i mean the proper ones, not the pantodapoi phalangitai?

I have recently become independent from the Seleukids and built Basilike Patris in Baktria, but couldn't recruit them there (playing v2.35 by the way).
    The recruitment viewer tells me that i should get them in Baktriane with a Basilike Patris government (and even with the Satrapy you start with), but i'm not sure if te viewer is right, because:
    Looking into export_descr_buildings.txt both governments need the hidden resource "phalangitai" if i am reading it correctly, but looking into descr_regions.txt region_140 (which is Baktria) does not have that resource listed.

So my question is:
    Is the "phalangitai" hidden resource missing for Baktriane? I'm not sure, because the ressouce itself is pretty scarce (looking for it further into descr_regions shows only regions 118, 178 and 86 get it - Alexandria, Antiocheia the third one i couldn't identifiy at a glance).
    Or do i get the phalangitai via the hellenistic colony buildings? But again, as far as i could read the EDB-file, it shouldn't do that in Baktriane.
    Or do i not get proper phalangitai at all as Baktria, at least in my home region? (Which implies the recruitment viewer is wonky, a fact i could see as highly possible in this case.)

If the latter, is there a (historical or gameplay wise) reason for this?
    And if my first point is correct: i guess i'd have to start a new campaign if i added the resource myself, right? Any other things i'd have to pay heed to (deleting map.rwm or something like that - and would that mess up my other saved campaigns? I'd guess so).

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Default Re: Baktrian Phalangitai

Short answer: you can't. The native sort and the odd mercenary unit is all that's available that far outside the Hellenistic core.

The absence of the phalangitai h_r is intentional, it is only in the three places where there was enough critical mass of Makedonians to recruit them as "natives" (that code is present should Baktria take Syria, Egypt or Makedonia). Hellenistic Colonies in central Asia don't provide phalanxes, because there weren't any Makedonians available to recruit as such. Hellenistic upper classes in central Asia (who were usually Hellenised Iranians with the odd actual Greek) served as cavalry, not as infantry.

Laetus

Thanks for the quick answer, Quintus!
    Pantodapoi and Mistophoroi it is, then.

Guess the absence of makedonian-style Phalangitai even makes more sense in my campaign as i messed up the distribution of my mission-acquired colony points and can't get my own Metropolis for a long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Malagricus View Post
    Thanks for the quick answer, Quintus!
    Pantodapoi and Mistophoroi it is, then.

Guess the absence of makedonian-style Phalangitai even makes more sense in my campaign as i messed up the distribution of my mission-acquired colony points and can't get my own Metropolis for a long time now.
    That's the historical reasoning, which is the primary determinant. However, the gameplay angle is that factions should be different, especially the Hellenistic factions. They're not merely different colour schemes in different places, but also have different rosters as a result of those locations. There are changes coming in the patch that will add more layers to those differences, and in the next full release there may be further changes still (Epeiros in particular will be much revised).

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

A patch and a next full release?
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Quote Originally Posted by Morrowgan View Post
    A patch and a next full release?
    We're not done, not by a long chalk.

There are plans for all sorts of things too complex to put into a patch, which have been held back for the next full release.