Thread: TW Elysium and Arena in China

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default TW Elysium and Arena in China

Just because I haven´t seen the news here yet. CA announce new trading card game - Elysium - it will launch in China first

https://www.totalwarelysium.com/en
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And in FAQ it also announced partnership with Neteasy, which is china based company.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/netease-deal-announcement-faq/

And looks like TW: Arena will make comeback as China exclusive game as well. Netease has also implication for China players/users as Steam is not officially working there.

A few more info on reddit, especially graphics

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...ium_announced/
    Last edited by Daruwind; August 05, 2019 at 08:17 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Default Re: TW Elysium and Arena in China

Darren made an interesting video about the subject:

Frankly, I wasn't even aware of Total War: King's Return and legionary armour in Arena being a pre-order bonus for Rome II. Apparently, many Chinese customers were disappointed in the news, because Neteasy has a very sinister reputation, due to its shady business practices.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

I watched a few videos and main issue seems that now the Netease is oficial partner, CA might be obliged to alter chinese version of games (no skeletons, no blood+gore DLC). Up to now all chinese players were using international version with all DLCs etc. Now their content might be forcefully removed/altered. On oposite site, the partnership with chinese company somehow opne more doors for CA and probalby allow them get easily approval for game or not getting ban
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Netease is an ironic choice after the Diablo Immortal business. It will be interesting to see how both ventures pan out.

Presence in china does indeed mean accommodating China's stringent censors, at least in the official sense. I don't think I could ever sacrifice my vision for a load of ultra-controlling, ultra-sensitive sods, even if it's for the market size. But then, the market size is the key, and CA seems increasingly interested in drawing that audience, as multiple companies have been after extremely lackluster performance in the western PC world.