Thread: R.I.P. Alexander, who died in Nov. 335 bc...

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Default R.I.P. Alexander, who died in Nov. 335 bc...

...fighting a heavily outnumbered Thracian general named Ceresoblepetes with a bodyguard of Dacian horse archers. I thought he was going to be immortal -- no?

Not only did I outnumber the Thracian general 78 to 60, but a nearly full strength contingent of Thessalian cavalry (about 70 more) joined in the charge to the flanks of Ceresoblepetes' bodyguard just moments after initial contact.

Alexander will be buried in a grave outside of Philippoplis where his army easily crushed a Thracian uprising. Alas, he was weak and will quickly be forgotten.

Default Re: R.I.P. Alexander, who died in Nov. 335 bc...

Lmao

What? playing on H/N took the small town as alex. then moved onto the capital out numbered 2 to 1. besieged the settlement they sallied out and attacked. buckled down their center and used my cav to wipe their cav + skirmishers, encircled and won the day. the rest of thrace followed suit. Alexander will then take the next few months to prepare for his journey across the hellespont.. sucks to be you tho

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Nobody is immortal, Dago...

...and really, shame on you!

Alexander the Perishable.

Slingers, dogs like that deserve no more. No hero fighting.

That is odd because he should have the trait that makes him just get wounded, not die.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    That is odd because he should have the trait that makes him just get wounded, not die.
    He definitely has the great leader trait in my game. Although I haven't tested it by killing him yet...

Its possible the trait isn't working for some reason in this campaign. No idea why that would be.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

I'll try by giving the effect via script and not via trait.

Yes, I recalled he was essentially to be immortal. So I was shocked at the death message, but figured once the battle was over he would be back at the capitol, wounded. But no, he is very much dead. I have stumbled into a bug then?

The whole battle was mildly embarrassing with this Ceresoblepetes character. I don't like repositioning once a battle starts but I decided to move to high ground and make his army fight uphill since an entire garrison army was reinforcing and they had so many ranged units. I lost relatively few men and it was fairly textbook with hypaspists and my own Thracians enveloping the flanks -- but this Ceresoblepetes SOB kept avoiding attempts to engage him.

At the end of the battle I had wings closing around him with the Thessalians circling behind to stop him from running away again (I had already moved further down the hill 2x, now on flat ground and a prior attempt to chase him down had failed). But Ceresoblepetes and a couple units of peltasts and archers had already shot Alexander's bodyguard down from 150 horse to 78! Remind me never to invade Scythia.

All right something is wrong here -- 2nd time! I loaded a savegame obviously and started a few turns back. This time he died in the last minutes of a very decisive fort siege battle. I had Alexander close to the action, but behind my main line, so not even fighting.

After demolishing 2 of their towers, the Thracians sallied out. They did a surprising amount of damage to the silver shields (these do not perform well, but this is for another time), but as you can see from this screenshot as proof, overall I took very few casualties compared to the Thracians 2000+ .... but I looked away for 30 seconds as their last few units were making their stand and he was dead. There were a about 3 doryphoroi hanging on along with a triballi infantry unit and 2-3 ranged units. Their general was routing already. I assume some javelins/arrows were shot over my main line into Alexander's bodyguard but I didn't even see, so not sure, it happened so fast. Only 70 of them left

This is getting insane... weakest general unit I've ever seen in DeI! They must be butter against missiles?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    All right something is wrong here -- 2nd time! I loaded a savegame obviously and started a few turns back. This time he died in the last minutes of a very decisive fort siege battle. I had Alexander close to the action, but behind my main line, so not even fighting. After demolishing 2 of their towers, the Thracians sallied out. They did a surprising amount of damage to the silver shields (these do not perform well, but this is for another time), but as you can see from this screenshot as proof, overall I took very few casualties compared to the Thracians 2000+ .... but I looked away for 30 seconds as their last few units were making their stand and he was dead. There were a about 3 doryphoroi hanging on along with a triballi infantry unit and 2-3 ranged units. Their general was routing already. I assume some javelins/arrows were shot over my main line into Alexander's bodyguard but I didn't even see, so not sure, it happened so fast. Only 70 of them left

This is getting insane... weakest general unit I've ever seen in DeI! They must be butter against missiles?
    With it being a fort battle, are you sure he didn't wander over some stakes / caltrops / spike traps by mistake? That level of casualties for one unit looks like they may have clipped the side of a stake wall when charging, and as the general is often on the flank of the unit he may catch a stake to the chest.

Not saying you have, but I've made that mistake in the past of having a general chase down some routers, not notice the hidden spike traps, and my general was one of the units who fell into the pit. The strength of the unit counts for nothing against traps IIRC.

No, I've seen the same thing of course but the AI/Thracians had no defenses like that. And like I said, he wasn't even fighting, the Hiera Ile were all lined up behind my line on the right side waiting for the last moments of the battle. Only my additional hetairoi and some agranian peltests were chasing down routers -- they were the reason I was looking away because I was determined to chase down as many as possible.*

*And the reason for that is, the Thracians have 4 stacks! I didn't want any from this stack surviving and reforming into another battle I had to fight.
    Yes, this is N/N.

It is because this kind of general has a 1/3 stronger man power and as far is I know/noticed, the defense points or armor points of this general unit are divided in all those for example 150 man instead of the normal 100. that’s why they die easier. Excuse my bd Englisch, I hope you understand what I was trying to say

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

All stats are same, unit size has no impact on how stats are applied per unit.

Only change it that is unit has more soldiers and hence, more HP for entire unit, more models die in short periods of time. For example ranged attacks are distributed among entire unit and if gods of RNG decide, you can have a unit that lost total of 30% HP but no soldiers, while next volley will deal only damage of 1% HP but kill 20 soldiers.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Thats somehow what I meant

why don’t you change this?

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Because it is not possible.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod