Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The ethics of reporting a racist friend..?

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: The ethics of reporting a racist friend..?

If he's racist, he's an a-hole. I would be wary at considering such a person to be a friend to start with.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by the Black Prince View Post
    Some examples include -
    disabled wheelchair users shouldn't be allowed on planes unless they can afford to pay the extra cost of carrying their wheelchairs and providing their assistance - airlines shouldn't have to cover that themselves
    Which is not a crazy thought. Fare by weight + space is quite fair especially considering I'm small and light myself.

Quote Originally Posted by the Black Prince View Post
    Is it right to report a private conversation to his manager and provide chat logs if required?
    Sure, report someone for having a different opinion to the government because it says all such ideas are not acceptable.

Can't you see where it will lead us? I start to suspect there might be some hidden agenda behind left advocates
    Last edited by AqD; November 15, 2019 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Which is not a crazy thought. Fare by weight + space is quite fair especially considering I'm small and light myself.
    Sure, it's not crazy per se. But it is horrible. Horrible in a sense that a decent person would be ashamed of such thoughts.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

You could report your friend, not directly to the company but perhaps to organisations that are supervising the discrimination happening in the UK who could have more reasons to investigate similar cases happening in the whole industry. We do not know if he acts according to his racist views that he is saying to you or not, but at least to me his bigoted views are decreasing the trust in the solidarity of the system. If you go to the organisations instead, in this way you have could have a clear conscious about reporting a possible case of discrimination of minorities but neither are you directly ratting out your friend without valid proof of wrong doing.

Meanwhile you can warn him out that his views are dangerous not only to himself, but also to the company and the stability of the society. You can advise him not to do wrong doings in his work that may cause further harm to him or others. Maybe indeed he just express his own frustration to you but does not really act accordingly to what he is saying.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Sure, report someone for having a different opinion to the government because it says all such ideas are not acceptable.
    No one said anything about government control until you brought it up. We're talking about people being held accountable for what they've done and said.

And racism isn't just "a different opinion", it's an institutional phenomenon that harms people. It is rooted in oppression and bigotry, and isn't an abstracted "opinion".

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Gromovnik View Post
    Sure, it's not crazy per se. But it is horrible. Horrible in a sense that a decent person would be ashamed of such thoughts.
    Well I'm not decent and cannot be burdened by such nonsense. You're not a businessman I see

Quote Originally Posted by MaximiIian View Post
    No one said anything about government control until you brought it up. We're talking about people being held accountable for what they've done and said.

And racism isn't just "a different opinion", it's an institutional phenomenon that harms people. It is rooted in oppression and bigotry, and isn't an abstracted "opinion".
    You can't hold someone accountable without government. Also OP has no evidence that his friend has done anything racist. Is expressing racism or thinking a crime now?

Do you seriously think governments should be given the right to purge all our negative thoughts like that? Sounds very 1984 to me.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Yeah, see I have to agree with the general consensus. I know this is an old thread but figured I'd put my two cents in.

The guy may have said some scummy things and you may be re-evaluating your entire friendship with him, but on the other hand is him expressing hateful opinions without any evidence of him acting on those opinions worth ruining his life for? If anything it seems more likely doing that would make the guy double down on and become even more deeply rooted in such behavior if he were to blame it for him losing his job, and he'd cut you off entirely for doing it to him, leaving you no opportunity to influence/change his mind in a more productive manner. Reporting him to his job just seems more like trying to take a self-righteous act to reassure oneself that they are in the right while having the worst actual consequences for everyone. The guy loses his job if action is taken, nothing is done to actually change his opinion, and if anything he becomes more racist as a result. Being the bigger person rather than vindictive is how you convert people back to sensibility.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggggtotalwarrior View Post
    Yeah, see I have to agree with the general consensus. I know this is an old thread but figured I'd put my two cents in.

The guy may have said some scummy things and you may be re-evaluating your entire friendship with him, but on the other hand is him expressing hateful opinions without any evidence of him acting on those opinions worth ruining his life for? If anything it seems more likely doing that would make the guy double down on and become even more deeply rooted in such behavior if he were to blame it for him losing his job, and he'd cut you off entirely for doing it to him, leaving you no opportunity to influence/change his mind in a more productive manner. Reporting him to his job just seems more like trying to take a self-righteous act to reassure oneself that they are in the right while having the worst actual consequences for everyone. The guy loses his job if action is taken, nothing is done to actually change his opinion, and if anything he becomes more racist as a result. Being the bigger person rather than vindictive is how you convert people back to sensibility.
    Why do you assume that continuing the friendship relationship will be more educational than a dismissal from your job, a direct consequence of your way of acting?
    Do we know that he is not a convinced racist or an idiot who thinks he is right when he makes racist comments? Maybe (probably imo) his way of thinking is not going to change, either by soft comments or by a dismissal caused directly by his way of thinking.
    How do you know that at the slightest friendly hint that he should not behave like a racist he is not going to cut off the relationship with him? (because he, in his eyes, will become a sanctimonous woke idiot or something like that).

If there is a firefighter in your company, you call him when a fire starts. If there is a racist, you tell the responsible person to act accordingly. End of story in my opinion.
    Last edited by mishkin; March 15, 2020 at 03:27 AM.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

As long as he's not being a to anyone I wouldn't worry.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

You can't hold someone accountable without government.
    That's nonsense. Society exists between the state and the individual, and can produce its own kinds of sanction.

Is expressing racism...a crime now?
    It should definitely be shamed and a reason for social ostracism.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    But he is.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Blog Entries

the fact that some people think that you can be racist, homophobic or sexist without offending anyone is something that always amazes me.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Would you say it ... offends you?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

It’s not about being offensive i asked about him basically being an all round ass.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Blog Entries

It’s not about being offensive i asked about him basically being an all round ass.
    Dont understand. The only problem is if he has some kind of full pack? Racist, pedo and bully? Some combination like that? Or are you saying it's not a problem that he's racist as long as he's reserved or polite or something?
    Last edited by mishkin; March 19, 2020 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Dont understand. The only problem is if he has some kind of full pack? Racist, pedo and bully? Some combination like that? Or are you saying it's not a problem that he's racist as long as he's reserved or polite or something?
    Oh, a lot of people have no problem with racists as long as they're "polite".
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Blog Entries

Yeah basically. As long as he doesn’t act on his racism and be unpleasant to others.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Yeah basically. As long as he doesn’t act on his racism and be unpleasant to others.
    How can a person be racist and not act on it. Join a monastery. If a person is racist and admittedly so it will color their judgments and decisions.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12