Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Why were 20 people shot dead and 24 injured in El Paso today, and what’s causing the recent trend since the 90s of mass shootings and massacres.

Default Re: Why were 20 people shot dead and 24 injured in El Paso today, and what’s causing the recent trend since the 90s of mass shootings and massacres.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    That looks more like the number of fire-arm related homicides than the number of "gun deaths". Nevertheless, and assuming the figure is correct, that means that ~0.0027% of the US population were fire-arm homicide victims in the first seven months of 2019. Of these victims, only a tiny fraction will have been involved in a "mass shooting" (the number depends on how you classify the term).
    I'm still bloody glad I don't live in America. I can do all kinds of crazy things here like send my kids to school in complete safety...

Default Re: Why were 20 people shot dead and 24 injured in El Paso today, and what’s causing the recent trend since the 90s of mass shootings and massacres.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    I'm still bloody glad I don't live in America. I can do all kinds of crazy things here like send my kids to school in complete safety...
    Yeah, just look at UK, where you can get safely stabbed, sprayed with acid or run over by a truck of peace!

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    So women being able to defend themselves against rape is barbaric...
    what are you talking about, exactly?

a guy exercising his constitutional rights.
    Seems to me nonsensical and meaningless exhibitionism, bordering on pathological obsession with guns.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    what are you talking about, exactly?
    Gun control is just disarming law-abiding citizens. It won't affect criminals. So supporting gun control your support things like rape, assault, robbery, kidnapping etc.
    Seems to me nonsensical and meaningless exhibitionism, bordering on pathological obsession with guns.
    Same can be said about expression of any political, social or lifestyle choices. Your opinion is subjective, and man from the photo is objectively well within his rights.

Citizen

Yeah, just look at UK, where you can get safely stabbed, sprayed with acid or run over by a truck of peace!..Gun control is just disarming law-abiding citizens. It won't affect criminals.
    A complete nonsense, sorry. In the UK, only a small proportion of officers (5%) are authorized to use firearms, which is an example.

Your opinion is subjective
    Well, gun culture in America is different than in Europe.
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 05, 2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

So the one hated immigrants and thought that US must be saved from the Mexican invasion and the other was an Incel who hated women and probably was angry that his younger sister had a boyfriend while he had nothing. While racists and women haters are not a new phenomenon i believe that certain media like breitbart, rebel media and others have mainstreamed racism and hate against women

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    If you're overwhelmingly relieved that you don't live in the US because there's a increased, yet still extremely improbable chance, that you'll be the victim of a firearm related homicide then you're being hysterical. You're more than twice as likely to die in car crash, from a drug overdose or as a result of medical negligence than you are from firearm related homicide. Now that doesn't mean that firearm violence should be ignored, but the idea that there's a hostile gunman waiting round every corner is nothing more than mindless paranoia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    A complete nonsense, sorry. In the UK, only a small proportion of officers (5%) are authorized to use firearms, which is an example.
    That doesn't really prove your point. You aren't safer if you are unable to defend yourself.

Well, gun culture in America is different than in Europe.
    There is no such thing as "gun culture". Gun control is just a form of authoritarianism.

People are scared and want to use it so they can force their will on other people. Most people are stupid, scared people are even stupider. Guns are dangerous, especially in the hands of a person who premeditates using them. People know that when others are afraid for their security, they make stupid decisions. Which is why at one point the Patriot Act was good, then when we were less scared it was bad.

China doesn't allow freedoms anywhere near the Western world, yet they can manage to kill more people in an attack with a knife than a gun.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/3...g-spree-n41966

In the news this morning I've seen at least 3x more stories about El Paso than Dayton and Dayton articles were more about Dayton resident strength of community. The Left is scared of the Right so El Paso is more important to the media which is predominately Left. If we listened to people on the Left there would have been another mass killing in Covington Catholic.

Morrissey is a Disney producer and can shape what is presented as "morality tales". We now know what he considers moral. He claimed people should have known it was satire yet he didn't know that's what leftists media was doing as well.

Shortly after it was revealed the media was trying to instigate hate against a demographic. It was planned and coordinated because it wasn't just CNN getting the facts wrong. The facts about what happened were present from the beginning so why weren't they reported by the people who are said to be focused on reporting facts? Shortly after that was Jussie Smollet, he lied but the media used it as a chance to attack (conservative) white people.

The actions taken by BOTH shooters is atrocious, BOTH have mental conditions that made them feel like violence was the only answer. I can't imagine the hate being fabricated isn't contributing to these instances. Being hated makes people fear for themselves and how the hate will be carried out. It's why people care about racism, we're afraid of the hateful actions it may lead to. The Left is calling for the U.S. borders to cease from existing and that anybody who wants to come here should. When the Right opposes they're called racist, signifying that the entire issue is about race, otherwise a different defense would be used to counter the Right. I've never heard a response that white people from Canada are allowed to come to the U.S. just as easily. You can't have negative actions taken against group and expect members of that group to not start feeling threatened and unless action is taken the negativity will increase. Feeling threatened doesn't excuse their actions. When people want to see why things are occurring, I look into what could be a driving force. Morrissey still has a Twitter account and has a blue check mark, signifying the account is actually his. Kathy Griffin has a blue check mark as well and called for violence against Covington. Alex Jones said the school shooting in Florida was a hoax among other things people find offensive and was taken off everywhere in a coordinated effort (it happened all at once). Carl Benjamin (Sargon of Akkad) was banned from Twitter but wasn't advocating for violence. One group of people cannot be punished for committing an action and another group not. When the rules only apply to one group they may start questioning why they care about the rules at all.

Sidenote: Mexico has officially petitioned the U.S. to hand over its sovereignty. They told the U.S. to hand over the El Paso killer because he killed Mexicans and they consider it a terrorist attack against them. He killed more Americans in that same terrorist attack on American soil yet Mexico demands that they be given authority over the killer and event.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/break...ter/ar-AAFkiXr
    Last edited by NorthernXY; August 05, 2019 at 12:13 PM.

Ordinary American citizens are not deciding one morning to go outside with an assault rifle to kill randomly:

1 - Most of the kills have nothing to do with the ''gun culture'' but with the ''drug culture'' and are related to criminals.

2 - Second thing is complete silence from the left that majority of crimes are prevented by usage of the guns in self defense. The right to have guns is unique and only fools would want to lose it.

Videogames are being blamed for the shooting.

Which technically in paper includes every gamer. No exceptions.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Mahler View Post

2 - Second thing is complete silence from the left that majority of crimes are prevented by usage of the guns in self defense. The right to have guns is unique and only fools would want to lose it.
    I think you will find that these racist and misogynistic losers tend to attack unarmed people. I don't recall a case where a Fallout -style Mysterious Stranger has intervened in such events.
    Last edited by alhoon; August 06, 2019 at 02:04 PM. Reason: off topic part deleted
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

David Hogg, a survivor of a Florida school shooting (I think the one Alex Jones said was fake), uses his victim status as a shield for his beliefs. The media listens to this 19 year old because he has victim status and they agree with him. He wants to control through fear (a tactic the media is utilizing more), there is no other explanation for this.

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    Videogames are being blamed for the shooting.

Which technically in paper includes every gamer. No exceptions.
    It was stupid when it was said under a Democrat's presidency, it's stupid under a Republican's.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    It was stupid when it was said under a Democrat's presidency, it's stupid under a Republican's.
    I have to agree
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

But what harm will come from banning video games? If it saves even 1 child...
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, a handful of rounds is nowhere near enough to stop a determined attacker. It's not like in the movies where one shot can send a guy flying into the air. A ban on "high-capacity" magazines would significantly diminish a law-abiding citizen's ability to protect himself.

(Not sure if a content warning is in order. It looks fine to me but it might be a little stressful. Mods can edit out the video if they want)

Video: LEO fatally shoots knife-wielding man attacking cop

I don't agree with you. For decades, cops found revovlers perfectly adequate for self defense, send revovlers were what we're used to tame the West. I know that some think they need high capacity for self defense, but I say they are wrong. Do you have any statistic to back up your claims?

And if you want something for self defense, I would say a shotgun is a better choice. That is what most cops carry in their car, and I have never heard of a shotgun being used in mass shootings. That is because a shotgun is short ranged, which is exactly what you want for self defense. At long range, you have options to avoid dangerous situations. You don't shoot people in self defense when they are 400 yards away

Citizen

There is no such thing as "gun culture"
    Nonsense. Gun cultures are found around the world. America's gun culture vs. the world in 5 charts - CNN - CNN.com

-----
    -----
    Steinbeck once said: "I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy." Hemingway wrote Farewell to Arms, but he was a gun lover. In 1950, Faulkner won the Nobel prize of literature, but refused to attend the ceremony, and turned his attention to a more important matter: preparing for his annual week in deer camp.
    So, it's a above all a cultural thing. However, nowadays, generally speaking, Americans don't read, or exercise the intellect. Sorry.

I don't want to offend nobody, but in a warrior culture and highly fragmented society, guns are today, more than ever before, an essential part of the social connections. So, the idea is to shoot, "exercise constitutional rights", and take a beer, dreaming of emulating Chuck Norris in the Invasion of the US.
    Last edited by alhoon; August 06, 2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: continuity
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

The Texas school shooting last year used a shotgun and a revolver because those are the guns the kids’ Dad had lying out and not locked in a safe.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    I don't agree with you. For decades, cops found revovlers perfectly adequate for self defense, send revovlers were what we're used to tame the West. I know that some think they need high capacity for self defense, but I say they are wrong. Do you have any statistic to back up your claims?

And if you want something for self defense, I would say a shotgun is a better choice. That is what most cops carry in their car, and I have never heard of a shotgun being used in mass shootings. That is because a shotgun is short ranged, which is exactly what you want for self defense. At long range, you have options to avoid dangerous situations. You don't shoot people in self defense when they are 400 yards away
    I don't see anything wrong with citizen's ability to own "high-capacity" firearms. Some may just prefer something like an AK-47, it should be up to their own choice.