Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Why were 20 people shot dead and 24 injured in El Paso today, and what’s causing the recent trend since the 90s of mass shootings and massacres.

Default Re: Why were 20 people shot dead and 24 injured in El Paso today, and what’s causing the recent trend since the 90s of mass shootings and massacres.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    That looks more like the number of fire-arm related homicides than the number of "gun deaths". Nevertheless, and assuming the figure is correct, that means that ~0.0027% of the US population were fire-arm homicide victims in the first seven months of 2019. Of these victims, only a tiny fraction will have been involved in a "mass shooting" (the number depends on how you classify the term).
    Actually, the number appears to lump together those shot in self defense and by law enforcement along with homicide victims. Which is a bit of a suspect choice in my opinion.

EDIT: Hmm... if you click on the number, it takes you to a listing of every included incident. The first one on the list is a suicide.
    Last edited by sumskilz; August 06, 2019 at 12:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Default Re: Why were 20 people shot dead and 24 injured in El Paso today, and what’s causing the recent trend since the 90s of mass shootings and massacres.

I think America is too far gone for gun control to work in all honesty. The fact is that Americans have accepted that dead children is the price they are willing to pay for their guns. Despite massacre after massacre there has been no serious change in thier laws.

Britain and New Zealand changed gun laws in response to their two mass shooting incidents and in the case of Britain it has worked.

I'm not sure anything will stop this trend in America that sees dead children as a result of lax gun laws.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Even if the US introduced strict gun laws akin to those in Europe, it would still be completely flooded with firearms, so getting one would not be particularly hard. What would be hard, however, would be the lives and businesses of those who have devoted themselves to the firearms industry.

The US is a lost cause. But freaking out about a few mass shootings is too, aince those dead constitute only a fraction of the deaths due to guns.

Add to that the fact that you see most of those deaths occur in specific places. Baltimore rules supreme with iirc 56 kills per 100000 inhabitants. Similar numbers to Latin American countries infested by Narco cartels.
    But move out of the core city into the surrounding areas, and all of a sudden that number changes to iirc 3 per 100000.

Lessons: Don't live in a ghetto, don't be poor in America, and if you want to raise children there, do so in the countryside or in rich neighbourhoods; either way in the North.
    Them southerners be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    I don't agree with you. For decades, cops found revovlers perfectly adequate for self defense, send revovlers were what we're used to tame the West. I know that some think they need high capacity for self defense, but I say they are wrong. Do you have any statistic to back up your claims?
    Well, every weapon has a deterrence effect; even a kitchen knife or a raised fist can discourage someone from attacking you. But if they decide to charge you anyway, six shots probably won't be enough to stop them. This is especially true in situations where multiple attackers are involved. You can see in the video that the knife-wielding attacker was shot 6 times, but he still managed to reach the cop and get behind him.

Judge blocks California's high-capacity ammunition ban - StarTribune.com

High-capacity gun magazines will remain legal in California under a ruling Friday by a federal judge who cited home invasions where a woman used the extra bullets in her weapon to kill an attacker while in two other cases women without additional ammunition ran out of bullets.

"Individual liberty and freedom are not outmoded concepts," San Diego-based U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez wrote as he declared unconstitutional the law that would have banned possessing any magazines holding more than 10 bullets...

The goal of the California law is to deter mass-shootings, with Becerra previously listing as an example the terrorist assault that killed 14 and injured 22 in San Bernardino.

Benitez, an appointee of Republican President George W. Bush, called such shootings "exceedingly rare" while emphasizing the everyday robberies, rapes and murders he said might be countered with firearms...

Benitez ruled that magazines holding more than 10 rounds are "arms" under the U.S. Constitution, and that the California law "burdens the core of the Second Amendment by criminalizing the acquisition and possession of these magazines that are commonly held by law-abiding citizens for defense of self, home, and state."

Benitez described three home invasions, two of which ended with the female victims running out of bullets.

In the third case, the pajama-clad woman with a high-capacity magazine took on three armed intruders, firing at them while simultaneously calling for help on her phone.

"She had no place to carry an extra magazine and no way to reload because her left hand held the phone with which she was still trying to call 911," the judge wrote, saying she killed one attacker while two escaped.
    Last edited by Prodromos; August 06, 2019 at 04:10 AM.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Under-regulation resulted in regular 80 hour work weeks, company towns, and lack of basic sanitation.
    And we need to disarm population because of what now?
    And food standards. I know, imagine the horror of uninfected food.
    Or no food at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Actually, the number appears to lump together those shot in self defense and by law enforcement along with homicide victims. Which is a bit of a suspect choice in my opinion.

EDIT: Hmm... if you click on the number, it takes you to a listing of every included incident. The first one on the list is a suicide.
    The average annual death rate as a result of firearm-related incidents over recent years in the US has been~30,000-40,000. That's why the figure of ~9000 seemed off to me.

The average annual death rate as a result of firearm-related incidents over recent years in the US has been~30,000-40,000. That's why the figure of ~9000 seemed off to me.
    Yeah, looks atypically low to be all gun deaths up to the beginning of August, but that's apparently what it is. Either their data is incomplete or we're having a better year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    And we need to disarm population because of what now?
    Gun control does not mean disarming the population.

Or no food at all.
    You think food standards lead to famine? Novel.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    the president spoke clearly against White Supremacy.
    ...forced, with a notorious lack of enthusiasm, don't you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Mass shootings do have a mental health aspect
    Well, not always, not necessarily, or there will be no mass bombings of civilians, ethnic exterminations, etc...not all terrorist incidents have mental illness as a causal factor, in pace or in bellum.
    ------
    Trump, the demagogue, called for reform of mental health laws (1). Empty words, just for show, pour "épater le bourgeois"...
    Who decides? is he asking for a psychiatric examination for each person who decides to buy a weapon? So, how about those who do not seek psychiatric evaluation and treatment? thinking about it, the militarization of culture in the US borders on pathological-and the worst part is-many Americans are trapped forever in the past, continuously reviving a romanticized view of the US revolutionary history.The anti-everything "well regulated militias" are the most absurd of all absurdities.
    In the Gun Nation, violence and fear are intimately connected. Violence is necessary to maintain fear; fear is necessary to maintain white male privilege.

(1)Trump made it easier for the mentally ill to get guns when he rolled ...

Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Even if the US introduced strict gun laws akin to those in Europe, it would still be completely flooded with firearms, so getting one would not be particularly hard. What would be hard, however, would be the lives and businesses of those who have devoted themselves to the firearms industry.

The US is a lost cause. But freaking out about a few mass shootings is too, aince those dead constitute only a fraction of the deaths due to guns.

Add to that the fact that you see most of those deaths occur in specific places. Baltimore rules supreme with iirc 56 kills per 100000 inhabitants. Similar numbers to Latin American countries infested by Narco cartels.
    But move out of the core city into the surrounding areas, and all of a sudden that number changes to iirc 3 per 100000.

Lessons: Don't live in a ghetto, don't be poor in America, and if you want to raise children there, do so in the countryside or in rich neighbourhoods; either way in the North.
    Them southerners be crazy.
    Yeah, it is a lost cause, yet they self-rightously lecture other nations for being somehow not free or police states for having sensible gun laws.

I was 16 when Dunblane went down, I remember the shock, the outrage. That day 15 5 year olds and a 6 year old died, along with thier teacher. As a nation, we came together and swore it would never happen again and the government passed the laws needed to make sure we'd never again see a mass school shooting.
    Those kids died but their deaths where not forgotten or ignored.

Every time this goes down in America, I remember Dunblane and i ing weep for America, i weep for the senseless, meaningless deaths and the bloody fools too obsessed with boomsticks to actualy care about children's lives. The simple fact is America, as a nation, consider the lives of children to be worth less than the cost of a gun.

I think you should weep more for the one million British girls who have been raped by Pakistani immigrants. All of them disarmed for their own safety, of course; not even pepper spray is legal for girls to carry in England. That seems like a bigger problem than 50 victims of mass shootings in a country of 330 million people.

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    I think you should weep more for the one million British girls who have been raped by Pakistani immigrants. All of them disarmed for their own safety, of course; not even pepper spray is legal for girls to carry in England. That seems like a bigger problem than 50 victims of mass shootings in a country of 330 million people.
    One million? Where did you get that figure from?

I'm surprised you didn't call "whataboutism". He teed it up for you and everything.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

The 2nd amendment did not prevent rape in United States. Still just as common here as it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't call "whataboutism". He teed it up for you and everything.
    I don't even know if the hypocrisy he is referring to is real.

I got it from this article. They're quoting Rotherham MP Sarah Champion.

Child sex abuse gangs could have assaulted ONE MILLION youngsters in the UK

“There are hundreds of thousands and I think there could be up to a million victims of exploitation nationwide, including right now. Girls in the process of being groomed,” she said.

“I have met people from all over the country.

“If you just think we know at least four big cases each with a couple of thousand each in smallest towns. It’s extraordinary.
    Sounds like a bigger problem than 10 children killed in a school shooting.

Meanwhile, in the greatest country in the world:

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

I got it from this article. They're quoting Rotherham MP Sarah Champion.

Child sex abuse gangs could have assaulted ONE MILLION youngsters in the UK
    So it's made up then. I mean I know that 95thrifleman's point was (as usual) utter drivel, but you don't need to rely on fictitious statistics to demonstrate that.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

So it's made up then. I mean I know that 95thrifleman's point was (as usual) utter drivel, but you don't need to rely on fictitious statistics to demonstrate that.
    What’s utter drivel about rifleman’s post?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    What’s utter drivel about rifleman’s post?
    "The simple fact is America, as a nation, consider the lives of children to be worth less than the cost of a gun."

Utter drivel.
    Last edited by Cope; August 06, 2019 at 03:10 PM.

Meanwhile, in the greatest country in the world:
    Do you really not know why extra-judicial capital punishment is a bad thing?
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.