Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't access cheat console in Hotseat mode

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

Default Can't access cheat console in Hotseat mode

I'm trying to set up a Hotseat on dHRR 0.8a. However, the console cannot be opened even without having it deactivated in the options. And by "cannot be opened" I mean that it doesn't even appear in first place. This is only for hotseat mode, in singleplayer, it works fine. Another player has also tried accessing the console in Hotseat mode, which brought the same results. Does anyone know how this issue can be addressed?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't access cheat console in Hotseat mode

Fancy you should be asking.

The developers might have disabled the key and supplied you with a key.dat file. Delete that file in the mod's preference folder and start the mod once more before going through my tutorial.

Thanks for the advice, but this can't be the solution. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to access the console in singleplayer mode.

Blog Entries

Have you checked the mod's CFG file? Underneath the default setting for an open console access during hotseat unless it's blocked by the hosting admin. If you don't have that entry then add it and run the hotseat again - it could be that a prior mod's cfg setting might have disabled it.

[hotseat]
    disable_console = 0

Apart from that the normal cause of events would be that an admin hosts a hotseat after he blocks access to the console by setting a password.

I thought this was only to set whether an admin logon is needed to use the console or not. My wrong then, I'll try it when I can start the mod again:
    Since I tried applying your abovementioned fix I can't launch the mod anymore - it closes on splash screen (unspecified error). And I don't really get what the error report wants to tell me and whether it's got anything to do with the files involved in this fix. I did of course try reinstalling the mod, which wasn't successful, neither was a Steam game file validation.
    Last edited by Elendil 03; August 03, 2019 at 07:12 PM.

Blog Entries

I was assuming you had the all hot seat settings in your CFG file, just having one or two might indeed crash the game. Under neath the full set I use in Bare Geomod:
    Code:
    [multiplayer]
    playable = 1						# multi player enabled
    factions = 1						# first faction selected as default

[hotseat]
    passwords = 0						# use individual passwords for players
    turns = 0							# force separate human faction turns (including diplomacy) in hotseat campaign
    autoresolve_battles = 1				# force autoresolve for all battles in hotseat campaign
    disable_console = 0					# disable console in hotseat campaign.
    disable_papal_elections = 1			# disable voting in papal elections in hotseat campaign (only first valid human faction votes)
    save_prefs = 1						# force relevant hotseat options to be saved with game.
    save_config = 1						# save config file in save dir containing information about next players turn
    update_ai_camera = 1				# enable camera updates during ai turn in hotseat campaign
    validate_diplomacy = 1				# enable diplomacy validation for incoming propositions
    scroll = 0							# show start turn scroll in hotseat campaign
    admin_password = password 			# specify password for administrator access to the dev console when console disabled. Change 'password' to a suitable password
    autosave = 1						# autosave hotseat game at start of players turn
    close_after_save = 0				# close medieval II directly after a hotseat autosave
    gamename = hotseat_gamename			# sub directory name for hotseat save games
    validate_data = 1					# ensure game data files used in previous save match current campaign data files
    allow_validation_failures = 0		# prevent game to load if savegame or data validations fail
    The log isn't helpful - 4 seconds gap between last entry and crash.

Mod re-install - you did take care of virtual store issues?

I ran CCleaner inbetween, but didn't reboot. I don't know what else there is to do about it. Even with the config corrected (after the reinstallation I didn't modify it in order not to create yet another possible CTD source) the mod crashes. Needless to say that the other mods run as they should. I created another log file but it doesn't look much different from the previous one. The time gap at the end is shorter, though.
    EDIT: I've now removed the write-only attribute and edited the security properties to prevent UAC problems. Still didn't save the game from crashing. Is there anything else that can be done about it?
    Last edited by Elendil 03; August 04, 2019 at 04:06 AM.

Blog Entries

The amount of error entries in the log is giving me shivers. Out of the 1470 lines only 40 are actual log entries, the rest are errors: from missing mount models over invalid building levels and unit ownership to the more common trait issues (anti-trait).

Was that actually a trace log? In my trace log the last lines of your log about the 'export_prologue' file shows up at line 22.200 - and that's an error free log.

Downloading myself now, I'll have a look.

Edit: Nope, zippy share is expired and mega is blocked where I am at, sorry. Same for the 07 base installation.

Found a modDB link - and instructions. Lemme see if that works. Apparently the bottom link is unrelated, at least the claim of a 'full' installation doesn't make sense, date wise and size wise. The 'toolbox' is the universal batch file for Steam use.

Looks like another 'Gig Studios' case

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 04, 2019 at 04:59 AM.

I mean, that's why it's called a beta, isn't it? I'm a 100% sure I've installed it correctly, though. And it did work previously.
    If you manage to fix these errors that would be great, but what is most important to me is the ability to launch the mod again and finally start the hotseat. It has been in planning long enough.
    Last edited by Elendil 03; August 04, 2019 at 06:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Damn I am good - here is the hotseat setting in the CFG file that disables the console:
    Code:
    turns = 0
    scroll = 1
    autoresolve_battles = 0
    disable_console = 1
    disable_papal_elections = 1
    save_prefs = 1
    update_ai_camera = 1
    validate_diplomacy = 1
    Setting the value to 1 however didn't help.

Use the BAT\CFG combo from my Bare Geomod installation and adjust the 'mod' line in the CFG file accordingly. I'll have a look at this mod in the meantime.

Suggest to delete the preferences directory in the mod as it contains key and advisory settings from the mod author which might differ from your own. It will generate again the next time yo play.

Edit: all of that didn't help either, console is still disabled

Edit2: I am still good - here is the culprit (script line 16897), which means it's intentional:
    Code:
    ;----- NOTE: Due to the complete different nature of my new scripts, the console has to be turned on in hotseat.
            ;but to prevent cheating, the console is being disabled via script.

if I_HotseatEnabled
            disable_shortcuts object_manager, show_console, true
        end_if
    Edit3: game is crashing after running either of the sound bat files, EDU is not compatible with version 0.8
    Code:
    18:15:46.184 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/hrr/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 9178, column 1
    Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'Sipahis'.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 04, 2019 at 07:49 AM.

So reinstalling without running these files fixes the CTD and deleting these campaign script lines the console issue? You really are the greatest.

Blog Entries

That's the gist of it.

You simply have to remove the two EDU lines in each of the two BAT files (opens with Notepad) and you are fine running them, example after correcting:
    Code:
    cd data
    del descr_sounds_accents.txt
    del export_descr_sounds_prebattle.txt
    copy _ENGLISH_descr_sounds_accents.txt descr_sounds_accents.txt
    copy _ENGLISH_export_descr_sounds_prebattle.txt export_descr_sounds_prebattle.txt
    cd sounds
    del *.dat
    del *.idx
    Here is what I fixed so far otherwise:
    Code:
    -------------- A princess for the pope
    18:32:47.746 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/hrr/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 7361, column 1
    The character record Mathilde Marchio Tuscie is neither married, nor has a father.  This could mess up the family tree.  She needs to be defined as a relative
    -- Spawning as agent does not allow a custom portrait. Faction has no family tree so giving the leader a dead wife and making this the daughter. 
    --------------
    18:32:47.757 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/hrr/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 8162, column 5
    The city core building level should be one less than the settlement level!
    18:32:47.813 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/hrr/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 12822, column 59
    trying to make lesser character Ratolf the faction leader. Only named characters please.
    18:32:47.819 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/hrr/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 13055, column 59
    problem with faction_standings, probably an incorrect faction string - use of space instead of TAB - 7 instances
    18:32:47.883 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/hrr/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt, at line 25676, column 48
    unrecognised diplomatic stance - missing comma before 'war' - 70 instances
    18:31:18.814 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/hrr/data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt, at line 10754, column 19
    Condition parser doesn't recognise this token: WorldwideAncillaryExists - missing prefix: I_WorldwideAncillaryExists - 5 instances
    18:31:18.886 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/hrr/data/export_descr_ancillaries.txt, at line 24079, column 15
    Condition parser doesn't recognise this token: Banus_Croatorum_Trait - missing Prefix condition: Trait - 22 instances
    18:31:17.643 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/hrr/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 11059, column 28
    Could'n find effect description string for trait(Royal_French) level(Royal_French_effects_desc). - replaced with {None_descr} - 186 instances
    Could'n find level name description string for trait(Reset_Acquire_l_lorraine_crown) level(Reset_l_lorraine_crown).
    18:31:17.653 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/hrr/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line 15349, column 28 - 2 instances
    ---------- Script
    Archbishop scripts have invalid\non existent trait references
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 04, 2019 at 12:45 PM.

So I reinstalled and actually was able, finally, to start the mod. And after disabling the corresponding section in the campaign script, the console is accessible again for Hotseat mode. Huge thanks for the - as usual - competent support and your patience, Gig!

Are you really planning to fix all these errors? If not, would you mind uploading the work done as far as you've gotten with it?

Blog Entries

I am waiting for confirmation that it is ok to make a full installer (0.7 + 0.8) with all the fixes, they are done already except the archbishop issue which seems to have been intentional.
    Right now trying to set up the missing modeldb entry for the Khazar girls.

Be assured that I'm awaiting this patch intently!

Blog Entries

I have been looking around, but neither the model (mesh) nor any textures for the girls are available, surprisingly a set of sprite files exists, though.

I did however find a bunch of unused files that I have to follow up, those underneath could be the girl, the EDU suggests a horse archer set up with 'fast pony':

unit_models/cumans/models/cum_woman_lod0.mesh
    unit_models/cumans/textures/cum_woman.texture
    unit_models/cumans/textures/cum_woman_n.texture

Edit: This should work, all files exist
    Code:
    22 cum_girls_cav_a_sw_ug0 
    1 1 
    45 unit_models/cumans/models/cum_woman_lod0.mesh 6400 
    7 khazars 
    45 unit_models/cumans/textures/cum_woman.texture 
    47 unit_models/cumans/textures/cum_woman_n.texture 
    54 unit_sprites/mongols_cum_girls_cav_a_sw_ug0_sprite.spr 
    7 khazars 
    66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_merc_diff.texture 
    66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_merc_norm.texture 0 
    5 Horse 
    11 MTW2_HR_Bow 18 MTW2_HR_Non_Shield 
    19 MTW2_HR_Bow_Primary 
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 06, 2019 at 05:09 AM.

Blog Entries

I got the go ahead for the 'curated' release of 0.7 and 0.8 combined.

The sheer number of invalid modelDB reference is simply staggering. While the game can cope with invalid textures (silver surfers) and missing sprites (uses last 3D model) it certainly can't cope with missing mesh files. This may take a while to resolve.

The missing modelDB entry for the 'girls' appears to be the only error of it's kind.

Came across some logic error in the script as well - use of regular conditions in 'IF' segments. Together with wrong condition values that doesn't work and needs to be rewritten.

Some buildings may be corrupted, too. Or rather unfinished. The cumans for example have several totally useless military buildings. But you must draw a line somewhere, otherwise this will result in endless work.

Blog Entries

I am just curating this, anyone who wants to carry on afterwards is most welcome - I just removed a staggering 240 unused units from the EDU. I'll keep the original EDU in case...

Guess that was the main reason why custom battle was disabled, I re-instated it with one battle for testing purposes.

Error log is down to 8 entries which seem to be false positives.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 08, 2019 at 09:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast