Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Dune 2020 by Villeneuve has finished filming

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Dune 2020 by Villeneuve has finished filming

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    You weren't being petty, you were being factually incorrect.
    Uh... well yeah.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roma
    That's kind of an odd thing to say.
    In terms of the origins of the Fremen it's a lazy way of saying Black-African/mixed rather than playing along with Adrian's insistence that Sudense are ethnically the same as Coptic.

For instance, the phenotype for blue eyes seems to have existed only as far back as 7,700 years ago among Northern European hunter-gatherers of the Mesolithic period.
    The blue eyes are a by product of absorbing large quantities of Spice on Arakas. Hubert originally explained it as a result of addiction to Spice, in this version it was explained as prolonged exposure. I don't think it's a spoiler (as shown in Paul's visions) his eyes eventually turn blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Oda
    Not even going to respond to the rest cause I don't even know what you are on about.
    Obviously.

Patrician

Sorry long day at work. Didn't have the time to read every post.

I am not arguing as to why Black people exist. All I said is that I find it strange how they are casting existing characters as different races or different genders. I was under the assumption that doctor Yueh was Asian anyway. But the seismologist was cast here as a Black woman. Again though she did a decent job with her minor role. Surprisingly it did not bother me. Which is more than I can say about a lot of the other cast which I found to be particularly weak. Not necessarily in appearance but their performance was bad. Especially Timothy's Omelet which Frenchie thought had a good performance in "The King". Which I beg to differ as both he and "The King" (they are one in the same in fact) were particularly bad. So even just from that I already dislike this guy as a creator.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Obviously.
    Well no, I very clearly do not know what you are talking about.

"you don't like talking in movies"
    Yeah exactly, I think every movie should be Fast and Furious. They should have cast Vin Diesel as Paul Atreides and retitled this movie to "Fast and Furious: Dune Drift" and got George Miller to direct. Why not? I mean Imorten Joe is basically Baron Harkonen already.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; November 03, 2021 at 06:44 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga
    Why not? I mean Imorten Joe is basically Baron Harkonen already.
    "My friends, do not become addicted to spice melange, for it will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!"

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Immortan Joe is basically Lynch's Baron

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Patrician

Yeah that is what I had in mind. Imagine they chase him in dune buggies and Vin Diesel has to tame the sandworm to outrun them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Yeah that is what I had in mind. Imagine they chase him in dune buggies and Vin Diesel has to tame the sandworm to outrun them.
    Heh. Dune buggies.

The comparison of Baron Vladimir Harkonnen in Dune to Immortan Joe in Mad Max is a worthy one. If the latter character was not directly inspired by the former, I would imagine that echoes of that old character created by Frank Herbert in the 1960s eventually led us to Joe and villains like him. It reminds me of the impact various prototypical cliches and cinematic elements found in Night of the Living Dead (1968) and Return of the Living Dead (1985) had on the trope characters, usual narratives, and familiar settings of future zombie horror films and shows.

In that same vein, without the terrifying monsters like Azathoth invented in the mind of author H. P. Lovecraft, Herbert's sandworms or even those of Beetlejuice might not have been created or at least would have been conceived later or in a different way.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

In that same vein, without the terrifying monsters like Azathoth invented in the mind of author H. P. Lovecraft, Herbert's sandworms
    According to Herbert, the sandworms were inspired by dragons from European mythology, specifically Beowulf.

FH: And I made it, classically, the archetypal black beast, the one who lives underground in the cavern, with the gold.
    WM: I see. OK., right. Well, this is the dragon of Beowulf, who lives in the cave.
    FH: Yes.
    I'm not sure if Herbert would have even read any of Lovecraft's stuff. His work was deeply unpopular in his lifetime and didn't really see a resurgence until after Herbert wrote Dune.
    Last edited by Akar; November 04, 2021 at 02:01 AM.

Patrician

Uh... well yeah.
    No wait a minute. I retract this statement.

I never actually said that it was called "Villeneuve's Dune". What I said was "why did they put his name everywhere?".

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

No wait a minute. I retract this statement.

I never actually said that it was called "Villeneuve's Dune". What I said was "why did they put his name everywhere?".
    You mean apart from the very next sentence, when you said.

why did they put his name everywhere? Villeneuve's Dune sounds so pretentious.

According to Herbert, the sandworms were inspired by dragons from European mythology, specifically Beowulf.
    Ah! Thanks for sharing. That's pretty cool actually.

I'm not sure if Herbert would have even read any of Lovecraft's stuff. His work was deeply unpopular in his lifetime and didn't really see a resurgence until after Herbert wrote Dune.
    I see. Herbert did write this stuff in the 1960s, but by the 1980s even bands like Metallica were literally writing songs about Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. I forgot that it took a while for Lovecraft's stuff to be widely recognized and admired. Dude was a bit racist, though, especially against them blacks.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

ahh yes, niggerman, what better name for a cat?

I see. Herbert did write this stuff in the 1960s
    Yep, published in 1965. However Lovecraft's works wouldn't be commonly known outside of pulp magazine circles until he was rediscovered in the 70s and 80s. Contemporary reviews for Lovecraft's stuff was...less than generous.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I can't decide if this movie was a modern fellowhip of the rings or it was a fellowship of the rings that ends half way.

Its definatly giving me fellowship of the rings vibes though.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

or it was a fellowship of the rings that ends half way.
    To be fair, part 1 of the novel ends in the exact same way before picking up with part 2, so you're probably not too far off with your "fellowship of the ring that ends halfway" take

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

So family caved and watched. At home now a family of a family of sci fy fans - gotta found the movie more or less boring [No great book fan but it was fine but I think it really is not suited to the screen]. I mean wife is a harsh mistress on silence when we watch something and chatter about after but even she joined into MST 3K mode at around the mid mark. And we both (that is wife and I) had to keep chiming in to answer my older kids huh, what who questions. Visually interesting I suppose but dark so often I could not really notice it. the flying things were interesting to look at but we all agreed it was annoying because a they functionally looked less useful than a black hawk helicopter.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    You mean apart from the very next sentence, when you said.
    For 1000 points... What is context?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    So family caved and watched. At home now a family of a family of sci fy fans - gotta found the movie more or less boring [No great book fan but it was fine but I think it really is not suited to the screen]. I mean wife is a harsh mistress on silence when we watch something and chatter about after but even she joined into MST 3K mode at around the mid mark. And we both (that is wife and I) had to keep chiming in to answer my older kids huh, what who questions. Visually interesting I suppose but dark so often I could not really notice it. the flying things were interesting to look at but we all agreed it was annoying because a they functionally looked less useful than a black hawk helicopter.
    I did not find the film's visual aesthetic very inspired either. I guess it was better than the grotesque and weird looking stuff in the David Lynch. Some of the stuff in David Lynch Dune looks so weird that I can't really tell what it is.

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Some of the stuff in David Lynch Dune looks so weird that I can't really tell what it is.
    It seems to have inspired some of Jean pierre jeunet's movies. At least he tried to explain the Dune universe to the audience.

Btw, in the new one, where is that new voice activated weapon that scared the emperor so much he wanted the Atreides destroyed? That is quite a big plot change from the book iirc.

I just rewatch the new dune on TV, and it was underwhelming. It definitely needs a big screen and powerful sound system.
    Last edited by John Doe; November 07, 2021 at 01:34 PM.

Patrician

Maybe I will rewatch the old Dune.