Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Dune 2020 by Villeneuve has finished filming

Default Re: Dune 2020 by Villeneuve has finished filming

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Music is inferior to the Lynch one.
    General feel seems inferior too - apart from the Vladimir Harkonnen guy, who looks interesting and is played by a good actor.
    Pink Floyed?

The tone doesn't seem a fit. But we will see.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 09, 2020 at 03:18 PM.

I donīt like it to be honest, really still enjoying the Movie from 1984 and btw they cannot beat this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I always favoured with the Harkonnen

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Pink Floyed?

The tone doesn't seem a fit. But we will see.
    I read in the youtube thread that Pink Floyd was a nod to Jodorowsky, who wanted Pink Floyd to write the ost for his Dune.

From the cast in this trailer I only liked Vladimir and the Beast Rabban. Both great castings. The rest ranges from meh to horrible ^_^
    Also, they didn't show the Navigators or the Emperor. I fear those too may be less than inspired, going by the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother, Duke Leto and his concubine.
    Last edited by Kyriakos; September 09, 2020 at 07:16 PM.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

I never read the books, so all i know about the Dune was from the old 80s movie ive seen a lot time ago. I just remember it was a confusing story, but as a fan of science finction i enjoyed it a bit. Still, i think this is more of a treat for the book fans. I mean, this is a story about a desert planet and giant worms, and a messiah figure? Nothing very compelling to an ignorant like myself. If any "sand movie" should be remade that id like to see, it would be the Stargate, not Dune. Still, im probably gonna go and see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    I read in the youtube thread that Pink Floyd was a nod to Jodorowsky, who wanted Pink Floyd to write the ost for his Dune.

From the cast in this trailer I only liked Vladimir and the Beast Rabban. Both great castings. The rest ranges from meh to horrible ^_^
    Also, they didn't show the Navigators or the Emperor. I fear those too may be less than inspired, going by the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother, Duke Leto and his concubine.
    Yeah they didn't show the navigators. But at least they got the ornithopter right i believe, worms also look great.

The movie looks very promising, even though i wasn't blown away by the trailer to be honest. The cast, well we must wait and see. I m not a big fan of the younger cast, but we will see.

I never read the books, so all i know about the Dune was from the old 80s movie ive seen a lot time ago. I just remember it was a confusing story, but as a fan of science finction i enjoyed it a bit. Still, i think this is more of a treat for the book fans. I mean, this is a story about a desert planet and giant worms, and a messiah figure? Nothing very compelling to an ignorant like myself. If any "sand movie" should be remade that id like to see, it would be the Stargate, not Dune. Still, im probably gonna go and see it.
    I enjoy Stargate, but Dune is on a totally different ballpark. And you should do yourself a favor, and read the Dune books. The game of thrones in space, but only better. Dune is more then Desert planet, worms, and messiah figures. even if its a cautionary tale about them, and Religion etc.

David Lynch Dune is confusing, because he didn't do a good job in translating the story to the big screen, nor building the universe in an engaging way. I like the Tone, music, and cinematography of David Lynch Dune, but he failed hard in adapting the story, and its scope.

Hard to do in a single movie as well to be fair.

Quinn is on Spice on this one

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    David Lynch Dune is confusing, because he didn't do a good job in translating the story to the big screen, nor building the universe in an engaging way. I like the Tone, music, and cinematography of David Lynch Dune, but he failed hard in adapting the story, and its scope.

Hard to do in a single movie as well to be fair.
    True, there's a lot in the book to explain before the story starts, I wished they did a trilogy or a TV serie instead or may be release Lynch director's cut that officially doesn't exist. For me the biggest shortfall of Lynch version was the uneven casting and bad dialogue.

This trailer looks really good, let's hope it won't be CGI over storyline

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Halie Satanus

God really they put the stupid box bit in the movie... possibly some of the worst Sci fi ever written

"The old woman said; "You've heard of animals chewing off a leg to escape a trap? There's an animal kind of trick. A human would remain in the trap, endure the pain, feigning death that he might kill the trapper and remove a threat to his kind."

Err no that so many kinds of stupid.

A human would what magically know when the trapper is coming back. Before I suppose dying of anything from shock, bleeding out, hypothermia, starvation of dehydration? Oh wait I see the trapper put his or her schedule on the trap it looks like I need only wait a 30 minutes for my cunning ruse to work... And that assumes he or she is idiot and does not just put a bullet in my brain for good measure. or that now injured and suffering from exposure etc I can overwhelm a healthy individual , oh and of course no other predator will show up and decided I am easy meat and pretending to be dead or whatever. Honestly I got through that once and never again.

Umm if you can't remove the trap now how do you do it after the trapper shows up?

Her Human odds are so long as to be silly beyond any reality. I mean what if all you have to is get back to your patrol which is over the hill. Maybe you don't bleed out before medavac.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Denis Villeneuve Explains Why ‘Dune’ Will Be Split into Two Movies. Goes on to say there may be a TV series too.

After 'Arrival' which is superb, Sicario' brilliant and Blade Runner 2049' which was a dam fine attempt at making the impossible. I kind of have to think whatever Villeneuve wants the studios will bend over backwards to give him. Overcoming the hype for DUNE will be it's biggest hump, but if he pulls it off..............

Quote Originally Posted by JD
    This trailer looks really good, let's hope it won't be CGI over storyline
    'Timothee Chalamet' has stated he only shot two scenes on green screen. I guess that's an indication of how extensive the live sets must be vs CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Conon
    ......................Maybe you don't bleed out before medavac.
    You may be a little too invested in this..

I agree with Conon. I actually only have read the first chapter of Dune (with the box and the 'determine if you are human' stuff). It is strange on its own, anyway, cause surely the creature in the trap wouldn't magically escape the trap even if we assume they manage to kill the trapper. Maybe the creature must then chew off its own trapped limb and be allowed to escape with the title of human

Furthermore, the situation isn't the same. That Reverend Mother has told Paul she will kill him if he removes his hand, so basically he died if he does so. The animal just wouldn't be able to interpret the human language
    We are at any rate told the pain is barely felt at first, so Paul would have time to think that it is better to keep feeling the pain, instead of being struck with a poisonous blade to the neck, ie instinct gets overruled anyway and not due to some awesome power.
    Last edited by Kyriakos; September 10, 2020 at 05:03 PM.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

2020 vs 1984

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The movie looks great but I'm actually rather dissapointed with the look of the worms, after getting used to Alex Jay Brady's work on the subject:
    https://www.artstation.com/boac

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Halie Satanus

God really they put the stupid box bit in the movie... possibly some of the worst Sci fi ever written

"The old woman said; "You've heard of animals chewing off a leg to escape a trap? There's an animal kind of trick. A human would remain in the trap, endure the pain, feigning death that he might kill the trapper and remove a threat to his kind."

Err no that so many kinds of stupid.

A human would what magically know when the trapper is coming back. Before I suppose dying of anything from shock, bleeding out, hypothermia, starvation of dehydration? Oh wait I see the trapper put his or her schedule on the trap it looks like I need only wait a 30 minutes for my cunning ruse to work... And that assumes he or she is idiot and does not just put a bullet in my brain for good measure. or that now injured and suffering from exposure etc I can overwhelm a healthy individual , oh and of course no other predator will show up and decided I am easy meat and pretending to be dead or whatever. Honestly I got through that once and never again.

Umm if you can't remove the trap now how do you do it after the trapper shows up?

Her Human odds are so long as to be silly beyond any reality. I mean what if all you have to is get back to your patrol which is over the hill. Maybe you don't bleed out before medavac.
    You miss the point. The BG give that test to every one of their students at a certain point in their training. If they have the fine control over their body to overcome the pain and not move, they live and learn even more BG talents. If they don't, they die, and their knowledge of BG talents that they've learned dies with them. Gaius Helen Mohiam went through the test. Lady Jessica went through the test. And Lady Jessica was allowing Mohiam to put Paul through the test, and after Paul passed, she authorized further and more extensive BG training for Paul.

They don't give this test to people who don't start BG training. In other words, they don't give this test to Leto Atreides. They don't give this test to Feyd-Rautha. They don't even give this test to Count Fenring, the near-Jesus who was one gene short of being the Kwisatz Haderach, who, from what I've read in Frank Herbert's books, was never trained in BG ways by his wife.
    Last edited by Gaidin; September 11, 2020 at 01:37 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Planet Arrakis=Syria
    Fremen=ISIS
    Harkonnens, Atreides=Russia,USA
    Melagne=Oil

Close but 5 decades off and hilariously off the mark.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

2020 vs 1984
    i think the colors of the 1984, are better, more richer. The 2020 is more grayish.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Close but 5 decades off and hilariously off the mark.
    Herbert was remarkably prescient...

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Herbert was remarkably prescient...
    You think the US would recruit and align with ISIS?

That's what Papay's horrible analogy implies. I'm not sure how long it's been since he's read the book.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    You think the US would recruit and align with ISIS?

That's what Papay's horrible analogy implies. I'm not sure how long it's been since he's read the book.
    I'm talking about the 'prediction' of ISIS...

Praeses

So as far as I can see, the dialogue is word for word from the book. Only snippets though so there's a possibility they LOTR'd it.

Atreides look Greek. Fremen look Arab. Yueh is Asian, not yellowface. Are the Sardaukar meant to be Iranian in the book? The story is half Mahommed and half Alexander in my reading.

This is already 1000% better than Lynch's botched mess IMHO.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    So as far as I can see, the dialogue is word for word from the book. Only snippets though so there's a possibility they LOTR'd it.

Atreides look Greek. Fremen look Arab. Yueh is Asian, not yellowface. Are the Sardaukar meant to be Iranian in the book? The story is half Mahommed and half Alexander in my reading.

This is already 1000% better than Lynch's botched mess IMHO.
    indeed the Atreides were descendants of the classical Greeks (the Achaeans if I remember correctly). A disappointment to me that very little reference was made to the Sardaukar in the books I read, little more than their upbringing on a horrible planet. It is also very disappointing that the Paul Atreides Jihad is hardly mentioned. (I read six or seven books of the saga, god knows why).

By the way, the Fremen are not described as religious fanatic losers (ISIS) at all. More like (surprise!) free men from the desert fighting the occupation forces and waiting for the rain (which will make their way of life disappear, obviously).
    Last edited by mishkin; September 13, 2020 at 11:22 AM.