Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Dune 2020 by Villeneuve has finished filming

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Icon6 Dune 2020 by Villeneuve has finished filming

Apparently shooting has wrapped up for the film, which will now go into post-production according to the video below:

This one is slated to be pretty damn epic indeed. Nice. It was a worthy project for Denis Villeneuve to pursue. I generally like his films, they're great thrillers. The cast is very star studded, including Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgard, Dave Bautista, Javier Bardem, Oscar Isaac, Jason Momoa, Zendaya, and the young Timothee Chalamet in the lead role. Not only that, but as explained in the video, Hans Zimmer is doing the music! Hurrah to that idea!

I never got around to it, but I think now I'll finally just sit down and read the damn novels before the movie comes out. Plenty of time to do so now.

Default Re: Dune 2020 by Villeneuve has finished filming

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I never got around to it, but I think now I'll finally just sit down and read the damn novels before the movie comes out. Plenty of time to do so now.
    Horribad idea. Wait for the movie(s). If you don't you'll start latching on to logistical and story differences they had to make. And once you do that you'll latch onto the awesome scenes they did right instead of the overall story.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Yeah i have been following his channel, and the news around this movie.

Im actually hopeful for this adaptation. It does seem to be much more in line to the actual story then that 80s David lynch film. That is a plus at least.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

A bit OT and I only ever got through Dune and kinda skimmed a bit of the second. So a question that bugged be when a I read it (30 years ago). Dune is not Earth. And Navigator based FTL travel could only exist once Dune was discovered. Ergo there must be another means of FTL that does not involve the spice. Or, The galaxy was settled by generation ships and the people arriving at Dune discover the navigation by spice. But that seems like then the navigators should own Dune... Any insight from real fans?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

They had an old method that was slower. Weeks and months. Picture the Forever War.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    A bit OT and I only ever got through Dune and kinda skimmed a bit of the second. So a question that bugged be when a I read it (30 years ago). Dune is not Earth. And Navigator based FTL travel could only exist once Dune was discovered. Ergo there must be another means of FTL that does not involve the spice. Or, The galaxy was settled by generation ships and the people arriving at Dune discover the navigation by spice. But that seems like then the navigators should own Dune... Any insight from real fans?
    There's a bunch of history in the chapter headers and more in the appendices whih might be relevant. IIRC there had been an AI war and computers were banned for a thousand years (?) up to the Dune period. They have Mentats instead, no not Fallout chems but human computers so perhaps supercomputers were involved in earlier space travel? There was definitely interstellar space travel as the religious summit that produced the Orange Catholic Bible was held with representatives from many systems.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Mentats came after the war, ftl he’s asking about before so you’re off by a few hundred to a few thousand years on the origin. They had something before the prescience of the spacing guild it was just hilariously slow. They even had the Holtzmann drives but without the spice prescience or high level computing they had to make sure it was worth it as a bunch of the fleet would end up in a star. At least one Butlerian Jihad battle ran this gamble.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Go away.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Go away.
    Whatever, Vladimir.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Mentats came after the war, ftl he’s asking about before so you’re off by a few hundred to a few thousand years on the origin. They had something before the prescience of the spacing guild it was just hilariously slow. They even had the Holtzmann drives but without the spice prescience or high level computing they had to make sure it was worth it as a bunch of the fleet would end up in a star. At least one Butlerian Jihad battle ran this gamble.
    Thx, that's clearer. I knew the mentats were a consequence of the Butlerian Jihad, I had forgotten the Hotzmann effect/drive etc.

A quick Google reveals that Herbert's son filled in a lot more of the blanks. I tried to read the first "prequel" and found it staggeringly bad. Haven't tried the rest.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

They even had the Holtzmann drives but without the spice prescience or high level computing they had to make sure it was worth it as a bunch of the fleet would end up in a star. At least one Butlerian Jihad battle ran this gamble.
    But theoretically in the future (at Dune time) couldn't a group of Mentats take the place of the lost high level computing? I mean theoretically you got 10,000 years and nobody aimed for a quick strike to seize Dune outside of the Guild?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

The Ixians developed machines that could do it, AFTER God-Emperor of Dune, but it was based on presciently seeing the points you were folding together, not human level calculation. Remember, the navigators became huge mutations. Also, roughly 10% of ships were lost before the advent of Guild Navigation.

Also, quick strike? The Guild wouldn’t take you and once they see you taking the long trip they just blackmail everyone into riding their military to Dune on their dime to handle you lest they don’t get space travel ever. Oh and you’re now blacklisted from FTL and Melange distribution as a consequence. After your military is destroyed by the way.
    Last edited by Gaidin; July 30, 2019 at 02:11 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Praeses

But theoretically in the future (at Dune time) couldn't a group of Mentats take the place of the lost high level computing?
    The Mentats did replace computers, AFAIK every faction had access to them albeit very few people could become one. Paul was one such candidate ("A Mentat Duke would be formidable" says his father when he is told he has already begun training). Thufir Hawat is the Mentat Assassin, the Harkonnens have their court mentat Pitr De Vries IIRC...its been decades since I read it, can't remember if there was oine Imperial mentat...time to go back and read it again. Seems like there's a limited number of expensive rare dudes spread out across factions. maybe they respect each other's turf and refuse to merge into mega-minds? Its a bit of a plot hole.

I mean theoretically you got 10,000 years and nobody aimed for a quick strike to seize Dune outside of the Guild?
    This is addressed in the novel IIRC.

The Guild has limited prescience and tries to stay out of politics. They choose time branches that keep the spice flowing (and stop anyone who might intefere), although the rest of their policies are opaque. EG They help the Sardaukur/Harkonnens invade twice (the Atreides trap and the anti-Paul crusade), lowering transport costs in he second war so every house can come and fight the Fremen. When Paul deliberately threatens the spice production ("water of death") they hold off bombardment. I guess paul lets them come so he can dramatically defeat the Emperor and his forces.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Paul needs to lure in the emperor so he can take him out. The guild and the other forces in orbit are then told to gtfo, or the Spice gets it.

Cant remember a mentat for shadam, but his closest advisor Count Fenring is a failed space Jesus, an almost sucess of the breeding Program, so he might have the skills.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

0:40 is that JJ Abrams' famous mystery box

Looks nice. Not sure about the music choice, but seems okay.
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

I just hope the movie lasts four hours (minimum)

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Surgeon View Post
    Not sure about the music choice, but seems okay.
    Hans Zimmer reworks Pink Floyd's 'Eclipse. You're a hard man to please.

Music is inferior to the Lynch one.
    General feel seems inferior too - apart from the Vladimir Harkonnen guy, who looks interesting and is played by a good actor.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast