Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Dune 2020 by Villeneuve has finished filming

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Dune 2020 by Villeneuve has finished filming

There is an early screening on 18,

Someone did on the "I just saw" thread, iirc awesome was the verdict.
    It's on my covid defying list.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    Dune (2021)

Spectacular entertainment, massive worldbuilding. Left me longing for more.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

yes I've seen your post Araval.. I mean just a bit more insight? out of curiosity I mean

I personally am against this kind of adaptations, and more than about the visuals and such, I'm interested in how the books have been rendered into the movie

any info will be appreciated
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have never seen the books. I don't really know what I can say to be helpful. Star Wars feels like a fairytale compared to it. I would have liked the main charater to be less mysterious.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

ah I see ok thanks, I'll wait for someone who's read the books then

and yes the background of Dune is amazing, you can't imagine what comes after (and I doubt they will put that on a movie.. but still)
    Last edited by Flinn; October 11, 2021 at 09:55 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Incredible. Just wish they'd made part two at the same time so we don't have to wait at least 2-3 years for part two, if it ever gets made.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

So... I guess it was good. Any news of when the next part comes? I want to see both together and if what Halie says is true, I am glad I resist going to watch this.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Cruel and unusual punishment at the least now that I got hooked. So far I am enjoying it way more then the first movie, and not just because of the better CGI.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    So... I guess it was good. Any news of when the next part comes? I want to see both together and if what Halie says is true, I am glad I resist going to watch this.
    Part two hasn't been green lit by Warner Bros, though they promised Villeneuve it would be a two part project (he actually wants to make a third part). It all rides on the success of the first movie.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

This is the best movie of 2021 for me.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Everyone seems to like this movie. Could it be that it is just a cope because people have been craving another Dune adaptation for so long?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Phenomenal gold content. Best movie of the year by a long shot. And Hot damn Jason Momoa was brutal as usual. Also need more Ornithopters and PART 2 NOW!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Had to look twice because of no beard - watched another episode of 'see' just before it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Had to look twice because of no beard - watched another episode of 'see' just before it.
    The fight choreography in 'See' is something else. Could believe they invented a whole form of martial art just for that series.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Everyone seems to like this movie. Could it be that it is just a cope because people have been craving another Dune adaptation for so long?

Other then book readers, i cant fandom people craving for Dune.
    The movie is genuinely good. The sound mixing is absurd, totally a must see in Imax. Otherwise, doesn't have nearly the same impact. I dare say is a totally different movie in imax.

That being said, if expectations were this to be the new Lord of the rings of sorts, as impact goes. Those expectations are way off. I think this will have reach but i dont think it does have the same mass appeal, to reach that cultural phenomena. Still a Good movie, good acting, plot and characters easy to follow, even for those who haven't read the books. Its a a good book adaptation so far. They totally gender and possible race swapped Doctor Liet Kynes. Race was never specified in the books, but kynes in the books is a man, of course they make him a black woman in this movie, because it is the thing to do now in 2021, to fill some studio quota no doubt.

Stll, I would say this is the definitive Dune movie, if not just being a mere prologue. lots of things left out with miles to go just to cover the first book.
    I have no doubt they will green lit the second movie, given how well is doing at box office ( even though the movie has been out for a month is some markets.)
    Although given how many things are left out, a third part would be more like it imo.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; October 25, 2021 at 02:37 AM.

Patrician

Just saw this. It isn't even a movie. Like a really boring documentary with panoramic shots and a lot of whispering. The only thing that could make this entertaining or exciting is anti-depressants. Some of the worst casting I have ever seen in any film.

This isn't a movie. This is boring and terrible.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Just saw this. It isn't even a movie. Like a really boring documentary with panoramic shots and a lot of whispering. The only thing that could make this entertaining or exciting is anti-depressants. Some of the worst casting I have ever seen in any film.

This isn't a movie. This is boring and terrible.
    lol

Stll, I would say this is the definitive Dune movie
    I mean it doesn't take much to usurp the David Lynch abomination.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

@Lord Oda Nobunaga
    What about the soundtrack? I think Hans Zimmer is the best music composer and his music really makes a different movie experience.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

I watched this, I thought it was great a 9/10 with a few slow parts but the girl I'm with thought it was very dull and boring.

Tbh I think you have to be interested in sci fi and technology to find the movie interesting. Figuring out how their helicopter ships work for example could keep me entertained but not her.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    @Lord Oda Nobunaga
    What about the soundtrack? I think Hans Zimmer is the best music composer and his music really makes a different movie experience.
    Combine the chanting lady from Gladiator, put the volume on really low, and then throw some ambient noises and sounds. Even the parts in this movie that should be exciting sound like they are on downers. Hans Zimmer may have done a good job with individual pieces but the music as a whole just doesn't work. Say what you will about the David Lynch film but at least it had a better soundtrack.

Like who ever heard of a movie composed almost entirely of wide shots? People were destroying the Star Wars Prequels for its boring camera work. But then this movie does it and all of a sudden it is good? There is one word for this film, and that word is boring. In every way imaginable. Use of cameras. Dialogue. Acting. The music. Scene for scene, a tedious slog. There isn't a single memorable thing in this movie other than how bad the delivery of these actors is.

I think as far as actual psychedelic ambience and conscience expanding music goes... the David Lynch movie ironically did a better job.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4on...l=fernandotrue

I am starting to think that this is just Phantom Menace syndrome. People badly wanted this and can't cope with the fact that the movie isn't that good.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; October 25, 2021 at 07:39 PM. Reason: I forgot to take my Spice mélange