Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Dune 2020 by Villeneuve has finished filming

Default Re: Dune 2020 by Villeneuve has finished filming

I don't know. I have never heard of it and saw the thread here and I was like okay lets see this then. Was not disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    @Lord Oda Nobunaga
    What about the soundtrack? I think Hans Zimmer is the best music composer and his music really makes a different movie experience.
    I actually prefer Toto soundtrack from the Lynch Movie. Also Hans Zimmer is so overrated. Even though i didnt disliked his soundtrack for Dune ( you actually have a better notion of the music in imax).
    I think Toto soundtrack is much better.

Just saw this. It isn't even a movie. Like a really boring documentary with panoramic shots and a lot of whispering. The only thing that could make this entertaining or exciting is anti-depressants. Some of the worst casting I have ever seen in any film.

This isn't a movie. This is boring and terrible.
    Im guessing you also loathe Blade Runner 2049? for the same reasons? or arrival? They all have the same feel and camera work in that regard. And pace is very slow. It works for me, i actually like slow movies.

I can understand this film being seen as too slow, and a slog fest... but its Dune its not meant to have a mass appeal like star wars its a different animal.

I didnt find it to be a bad casting at all, nor do i think the acting was bad, quite the contrary. Even though i dont like Zendaya much, she barely is in it. Timothée Chalamet is decent, but not outsanding
    . Oscar issac was great in this. As well Stellan Skarsgård.

I mean i look at the cast and is full of more then decent actors. Josh Brolin, and Javier Bardem, hell even Mamoa was great in the role, for a change. The weakness of this film is that left a lot of stuff out, hopefully we will have an extended edition of this movies, like Lord of the rings. Apparently there is lots of cut scenes.

I am starting to think that this is just Phantom Menace syndrome. People badly wanted this and can't cope with the fact that the movie isn't that good.
    I doubt it, nobody gives a about Dune in the first place, outside of niche science fiction aficionados. This isnt like star wars where there was major mass anticipation. IMO.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Like who ever heard of a movie composed almost entirely of wide shots? People were destroying the Star Wars Prequels for its boring camera work. But then this movie does it and all of a sudden it is good? There is one word for this film, and that word is boring. In every way imaginable. Use of cameras. Dialogue. Acting. The music. Scene for scene, a tedious slog. There isn't a single memorable thing in this movie other than how bad the delivery of these actors is.
    Clearly you went in expecting something very different. I can't imagine what.

Villeneuve managed to fit almost impossible world building into the first hour and gave himself time to develop characters and keep the plot moving. He deserves every plaudit coming to him. The acting is perfect throughout, keeping the dialogue limited and still bringing emotion to their characters. The soundtrack was incredible, never stealing the scene, almost as if simply part of the background. The wide-shots were also perfect in giving a sense of environmental scale while off setting the characters heavy emotional scenes.

Phantom menace was crap though, on that we can agree.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

I was an avid fan of the Lynch Dune movie, just as I was an avid fan of the books prior to seeing that movie as a teenager back in the day.

I'm also a so so fan of the SciFi channel series that wrapped the Children of Dune into the story.

With that said, I'm still trying to figure out how much I enjoyed this adaptation of the story. The art direction seemed to take it's cues from the Lynch movie to the point where it seemed like the only difference was actors within the setting. But, I do like the breath they took to allow the characters choices to play out.
    The Paul Atredies Gom Jabbar test was not as viseral as the Lynch version, nor did I think the Harkonen Sardukar attack was as engaging. I don't know, as I write this I'm trying to think was was better? I mean, the Lynch version was super campy but.... was that bad? I really don't know.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Just saw this. It isn't even a movie. Like a really boring documentary with panoramic shots and a lot of whispering. The only thing that could make this entertaining or exciting is anti-depressants. Some of the worst casting I have ever seen in any film.

This isn't a movie. This is boring and terrible.
    I legitimately laughed out loud, especially at the whispering part. Nice. A brutal but fair overall criticism, even though I generally liked the film. I think it's worth watching once at least. Like Knight of Heaven says, though, it's definitely not Lord of the Rings or any cultural phenomenon, that would be hyperbolic silliness to claim that (and a significant amount of people have done that on social media, let alone a few vaunted film critics).

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Did anyone have any real doubts that it would be greenlit for a sequel? That's about as predictable as death and taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    I actually prefer Toto soundtrack from the Lynch Movie. Also Hans Zimmer is so overrated. Even though i didnt disliked his soundtrack for Dune ( you actually have a better notion of the music in imax).
    I think Toto soundtrack is much better.
    I think Hans Zimmer isn't overrated, he was a fantastic composer, key emphasis on the word "was" there, since his work has arguably gone downhill since the beginning of the 2010s. By that I mean he just pumps out similar sounding material or doesn't put as much effort into it, or doesn't really care to capture the mood of the film anymore. Compared to his score for Gladiator (which still gets me excited every time I hear it), almost everything else afterwards pales in comparison. Perhaps it started with his score for Inception, which is a decent soundtrack and beautiful in some parts, but that's where his music started to become more of a droning drudgery of generic compositions rather than a pleasurable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Wut you mean that in Italy we can see it and you in the UK cannot? Really

Brexit anyone??

ok sorry, silly jokes aside, anyone has seen it?
    I somehow missed this post and am massively entertained that Italians get to enjoy things before the Brits do. If it wasn't bad enough that they can't get enough truck drivers to deliver essentials like fuel, then they get slammed with delayed movie rights. Can't win, can you, Albion?

I think Hans Zimmer isn't overrated, he was a fantastic composer, key emphasis on the word "was" there, since his work has arguably gone downhill since the beginning of the 2010s. By that I mean he just pumps out similar sounding material or doesn't put as much effort into it, or doesn't really care to capture the mood of the film anymore. Compared to his score for Gladiator (which still gets me excited every time I hear it), almost everything else afterwards pales in comparison. Perhaps it started with his score for Inception, which is a decent soundtrack and beautiful in some parts, but that's where his music started to become more of a droning drudgery of generic compositions rather than a pleasurable experience.
    Yes that is what i mean, Zimmer later soundtracks have been so derivative, and basic. While i get the environmental approach for Dune, i hoped for something more memorable to be honest.
    Look at the epic Toto soundtrack
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I somehow missed this post and am massively entertained that Italians get to enjoy things before the Brits do. If it wasn't bad enough that they can't get enough truck drivers to deliver essentials like fuel, then they get slammed with delayed movie rights. Can't win, can you, Albion?
    As amusing as it is, im pretty sure it has nothing to do with Brexit. I live in a EU country and we only got film on the October 22. As Europe goes, the movie was released, in France, Belgium, Italy, Germany, Russia, and Norway. Maybe more but there was lots of EU countries that didn't got it early.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; October 28, 2021 at 12:15 AM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Yes that is what i mean, Zimmer later soundtracks have been so derivative, and basic. While i get the environmental approach for Dune, i hoped for something more memorable to be honest.
    Look at the epic Toto soundtrack
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    They really don't make them like they used to and that applies to film scores too, I guess. The end of that track seems slightly reminiscent of the Burton Batman flicks scored and composed by the legendary Danny Elfman (the arch nemesis of Hans Zimmer if there ever was one). It certainly worked for the trailer!

As amusing as it is, im pretty sure it has nothing to do with Brexit. I live in a EU country and we only got film on the October 22. As Europe goes, the movie was released, in France, Belgium, Italy, Germany, Russia, and Norway. Maybe more but there was lots of EU countries that didn't got it early.
    I know, I'm just being facetious and rubbing salt into the wound like a jerk.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I wasn't expecting anything other than that it would be bad. The director has directed like two other kind of known movies. Has no writing credits that I am aware. Then I saw the trailer and realized how bad it was going to be. First real red flag was when I saw that Timothy's Omelet kid from that other god forsaken movie "The King". He had the charisma of a log and delivered all his lines like he was bored or wanted to off himself. Case in point that early scene where he was like "what's in the box" in the most monotone way possible. Most of the actors feel like they were just reading their lines from a script. Which made me think that Jason Momoa can't read. Probably the steroids.

For fear of someone stealing my takes and then making a YouTube video that manages to get 1 million views because of its contrarian yet erudite opinion, which then leads to them becoming a highly successful YouTuber... The main problem with this movie, among lots of things, but specifically why it fails in its presentation, is because the cast was completely wrong.

Oscar Isaac as Duke Atreides... He may look the part what with his beard. But his acting was pretty stale. He also sounds like a child and looks like a manlet. What we need was someone more imposing... Calm, but imposing. Someone who actually looks like royalty. Oscar Isaac looks like they took a child and grafted someone else's beard onto him.

Josh Brolin as Gurney? Maybe, but no. I think Josh Brolin is overused in a lot of movies. Yeah he was great as Thanos, whatever. Could he have pulled this off with a better performance and better directing? Yes. But here he is just Josh Brolin. Heck Josh Brolin doesn't even look the part. Patrick Stewart in this role was actually pretty good. But the exact second I thought of Gurney I immediately thought of Stephen Lang. Or does Josh Brolin need another paycheck or something? I hear that Hollywood likes to trade favors.

Hot Swedish chick who isn't hot in this, as Jessica. ehhh... she was alright I suppose. Nothing about her performance is particularly good. Nothing is particularly bad. I can't really fault her for that I guess.

That one Chinese actor who is in a lot of stuff but never gets the top billing and has like a really distinct tan for a Chinese actor (Last Supper, Red Cliff, etc). He was okay as the doctor I suppose. It was kind of a throwaway role. He didn't do anything of note and lacked screen time. At least his important actions in this film felt like they weren't important. Which is a problem with this film as a whole. If only I could understand anything he was saying.

Javier Bardem is in this movie? Okay interesting. Kind of too easy seeing as he has been coasting on performances from 10 years ago. But this might actually work if they do it right. Who does he play? Some random desert hobo? Really? Without knowing anything about this movie my assumption is that he might be playing Duke Leto Atreides, or the Baron, maybe Emperor Saddam Hussein. But no, they cast him as a worthless desert meth addict who has like two scenes. Now I am really wondering how Javier Bardem would have done as the baron, because...

Stellan Skarsgard as the baron wasn't doing it. Maybe he looks the part. But what does he do? This is the most tame baron I have ever seen. He also has like no screen time. "BBBBUT ODA, THEY WILL USE THE BARON MORE IN PART 2", I don't care, that is no excuse for him being used so poorly in part 1. I also couldn't understand the big boy Baron in this and the fact that they whispered like every line didn't help. The weakest main villain I've ever seen.

What the heck is a "Zandaya" and why did they cast it in this movie? There must be hundreds of actresses and they decided to cast this one... Why?

-Forgot to do one more. Batista as the Baron's lackey. Correct me if I am wrong but the David Lynch movie had Sting in the same role? Anyway when you are sitting in the board room and discussing Dune. The first thing you realize is that Dune 2021 needs Batista in it, right? No... wtf? Batista himself was kind of bad in this. Visually he kind of looked really good. But his delivery was bad. In that one early scene where Batista started yelling at the Baron I was laughing so hard that everyone else started laughing. There is just no reason for anyone to put Batista in Dune, or to even have a thought which connects Batista with Dune. Nothing personal, he was okay in Guardians of the Galaxy. But here it is just common sense. Come on.

Probably the best actor was ironically the diversity hire. They changed the seismologist from a man to a black woman... okay fine. They are going to torture us anyway so I'll just enjoy it. So initially I thought I was going to get worked up into a stupor because they were trying to push diversity. They did do that but in the most subtle way that I can only congratulate them on their success. I mean this is a successful social engineering policy if ever there was one. Their consummate skill at rewriting a novel from 1965 and then claiming that this is a faithful adaptation, such that no one is complaining about it, deserves some kind of award. I won't complain about it. Ironically there is nothing wrong with Sharon Duncan-Brewster's performance. She delivers her lines well and seems to be one of the best actors in this movie. It seems like she is actually trying in spite of the fact that she does barely anything in this movie.

Look the set, the costumes, the extras look fine. But the movie doesn't feel right. It is extremely boring and tedious. I think anyone who was actually engaged was just projecting their own desires onto this movie. Or were awed by the panoramic shots on Imax. Okay now go rewatch this movie on your laptop. Scene for scene it just doesn't hold up and that is because the actors are miscast and don't deliver any good or memorable performances. Why? Well because they are miscast, but probably largely to do with poor direction. Which goes back to my original point... that the director was not ready to take on this project. This should have been directed by someone as meticulous as like Michael Mann or something.

Don't get me started on the camera work.
    *slight closeup of face*
    *torso shot*
    *wide shot*
    *really wide panoramic shot* much majestic, oh wow
    No wonder this movie is so boring. There is nothing visually appealing about it. This isn't a Ken Burns documentary ffs, this is a movie.

https://giphy.com/gifs/starwars-movi...stzV9QL8M2zdWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsQb...b_channel=DCEU

Some nice dirt you got there. Took a bunch of shots of a desert and put them into a power point presentation or something? Must have taken a lot of effort.
    Things are not looking good for this industry.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; October 29, 2021 at 01:04 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Has no writing credits that I am aware.
    So you just didn't even bother to do any research before making this post, then?

He has 11 writing credits on IMDB, including the screenplay for Dune. He has received 18 academy award nominations, 21 BAFTA nominations, and 3 Golden Globe nominations.

Additionally, every single one of his movies has been critically acclaimed.

The director has directed like two other kind of known movies.
    Which two kinds of movies? Because as far as I can tell (and I have seen every single one of his films multiple times), no two films of his are even remotely similar outside of similar uses of cinematographic technique, his use of scale probably being the technique he's most famous for.

Not liking the movie is fine, but pretending like Denis isn't one of the most talented and highly regarded directors of his generation is a laughably ill informed perspective.

Their consummate skill at rewriting a novel from 1965 and then claiming that this is a faithful adaptation, such that no one is complaining about it, deserves some kind of award
    Tell me you haven't read Dune without telling me you haven't read Dune.
    Last edited by Akar; October 30, 2021 at 04:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oda
    Correct me if I am wrong but the David Lynch movie had Sting in the same role?
    Different character.

This should have been directed by someone as meticulous as like Michael Mann or something.
    Mann hasn't directed a significant movie in 25 years (Heat) and I don't think he's ever made a sci-fi movie.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Mann hasn't directed a significant movie in 25 years
    While I agree with what you're saying in general, Halie, I will not sit here and stand by will someone disrespects Collateral.

Which I'm just now realizing is almost 20 years old now, wow.

"Yo Homie! Is that my Briefcase?!"
    One of Tom's best performance. And holy it's been 17 years since release! I'm getting old.

Blog Entries

Collateral was a good movie but 'significant' it was not. Definitely not in terms of big production, large ensemble cast, huge budget, heavy on effects, adaptations eg: Last of the Mohicans - Heat.

Even 'Heat' which has arguably the second greatest shoot out in cinematic history, could be ponderous at times.

Heat always reminds me of Val Kilmer and his then his role in Tombstone as Doc Holliday. Val was definitely robbed from several awards I think.
    In any case I don't have any complaints from Dune or the way it was directed. It was fantastic and I only wish this COVID BS was never there otherwise this is IMAX material for max entertainment.

Blog Entries

'I'm your Huckleberry.'

I saw Dune at an IMAX (with huge reclining seats ), visually incredible. Some of the sound was a bit boomy for my liking. Seen it since with clearer sound.

Hot Swedish chick who isn't hot in this, as Jessica.
    This is true, and from what i gather in her interviews, it was done on purpose. In her words to bring a more modern depiction of women, according to modern sensibilities. In other words intersectional feminism doing its work on this, you know how the male gaze its deemed problematic.

Thats why one of the reasons the still suits dont even have space for the breasts, and why Zendaya was cast, a 26 year old woman who looks 12.... but i digress.

What the heck is a "Zandaya" and why did they cast it in this movie? There must be hundreds of actresses and they decided to cast this one... Why?
    Diversity quotas, and im sure it is also a move by agents and studious to give her more credibility, her being one of the child singer/actress coming from the Disney channel and machine factory.
    I agree for the role they should have cast someone more substantial, considering the rest of the cast.

-Forgot to do one more. Batista as the Baron's lackey. Correct me if I am wrong but the David Lynch movie had Sting in the same role? Anyway when you are sitting in the board room and discussing Dune. The first thing you realize is that Dune 2021 needs Batista in it, right? No... wtf? Batista himself was kind of bad in this. Visually he kind of looked really good. But his delivery was bad. In that one early scene where Batista started yelling at the Baron I was laughing so hard that everyone else started laughing. There is just no reason for anyone to put Batista in Dune, or to even have a thought which connects Batista with Dune. Nothing personal, he was okay in Guardians of the Galaxy. But here it is just common sense. Come on.
    No its not the same dude that sting plays. He plays the other one, the big bulky dumb/ moron one. I think Batista is fine in the role. He has been in Blade Runner 2049 before, its not like guardians is his only credit, as an actor on this level.

Stellan Skarsgard as the baron wasn't doing it. Maybe he looks the part. But what does he do? This is the most tame baron I have ever seen. He also has like no screen time. "BBBBUT ODA, THEY WILL USE THE BARON MORE IN PART 2", I don't care, that is no excuse for him being used so poorly in part 1. I also couldn't understand the big boy Baron in this and the fact that they whispered like every line didn't help. The weakest main villain I've ever seen.
    Tame baron? i think he is a bit over the top if you ask me. He is more akin to David Lynch baron in that regard. The baron in the books is different. I find the TV series Dune 2000, has the most book faithful baron ever put on live action.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

It's telling when people view any minority cast in a role as a "diversity quota", regardless of their performance in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    It's telling when people view any minority cast in a role as a "diversity quota", regardless of their performance in the film.
    Not any, but some. Its telling when the mainstream industry operates that way. From the studious decisions to the marketing itself. Its not how people view it. Its how they view it themselves. Im just pointing it out.

Only in the west there is this stupid obsession with diversity and inclusion. Its mostly used as virtue signaling, and pandering. Sometimes to the point where immersion is hurt in certain universes, because of it. Looking at the netflix witcher for example. Or the upcoming Lord of the Rings Amazon series. cant wait for black, and non binary hobbits. Its what they are promising.

In Dune would make more sense for the freemen to be Arabic looking, but whatever.

Zendaya who only had 7 minutes not even of screen time, and yet features prominently in marketing, and in the trailers, im sure her pick had nothing to do with what she is, and social media presence and her online activism, and following.
    Otherwise hard to understand her being cast in a movie like Dune next to actually more then decent actors, with stripes earned. For a role that is very important as the story unfolds, even if secondary. Batista as Beast Rabban Harkonnen, i can understand, its a very basic character, doesn't even need to have many lines. But Chani is on another level.

Blog Entries

Only in the west there is this stupid obsession with diversity and inclusion. Its mostly used as virtue signaling, and pandering. Sometimes to the point where immersion is hurt in certain universes, because of it. Looking at the netflix witcher for example.
    I'd agree, Black Achillies was a very poor choice. But that's a historic character, something like the Witcher or even Dune, where there is an element of fantasy, why care!. Unless the ethnic look of a race is integril to the plot, which in Witcher/Dune it is not.

Chani is not full Freman and is the daughter of Liet Kynes, who was gender swapped for Sharon Duncan-Brewster. So it makes perfect sense for her be mixed Afro/White.

I imagine her look, 25 year old playing a 16 year old, fits well with Chalamet (25) playing a 15 year old, rather than having actual child actors. Maybe it's easy to dismiss Zendaya because she hasn't started in any heavy movie parts, but she has done her time in theatre productions (including Shakespeare). I'm sure she'll be fine.

In Dune would make more sense for the freemen to be Arabic looking, but whatever.
    Fremen isn't a specific ethnic group, they originated from a people who were persecuted for thier religion and travelled across several planets before settling on Arrakis. Perfectly reasonable for them to be multi ethnic.