Thread: Wheels Controversy

Default Wheels Controversy

https://kotaku.com/total-war-communi...ead-1836741789

In one of the most absurd dramas of Total War history, Michael Whelan, Content Creator for Creative Assembly, called Arch-Warhammer, a famous and relatively popular Youtuber, as dickhead. This was Whelan's last stream, as he had already announced his resignation from Creative Assembly. The reasons for the feud between Arch-Warhammer and CA is the former's involvement in the review-bombing of Rome II, due to the disproportionate presence of female generals, and his insistence on the controversy surrounding the banning of waifu mods for Three Kingdoms. Arch-Warhammer unsuprisingly capitalised on the insult, while the company later published an announcement, apologising for Whelan's derogatory remark and clarifying that his views do not officially represent those of his colleagues or bosses.

In my opinion, there is little doubt that Arch-Warhammer's videos are objectively misleading, intentionally attempting to create a hostile atmosphere against Creative Assembly and provoke drama, in order to pander to his audience's particular insticts. More precisely, although women are indeed over-abundant in Rome II and banning of bikini-mods seems rather hypocritical, when CA promotes obviously sexualised Dark Elves and Amazon soldiers, his statements were simply inaccurate. However, Whelan's reply during his last moments as a CA employee was quite unprofessional. He caused unnecessary trouble for his former employers, while he also managed to undermine his career, as the "scandal" will now remain visible in eternity. Meanwhile, he also strengthened Arch-Warhammer's image as an innocent target for Creative Assembly's unjustified aggression. To summarise, the entire affair looks quite ridiculous and needlessly divisive for the Total War Community.

Default Re: Wheels Controversy

So, this is basically a mini-episode of the culture war applied to TW games. Never heard of it, I don't think I want to hear more of it.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

gamers where a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    gamers where a mistake.
    Bolsonaro disagrees.

https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/st...77548006891520

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Well you can make your own judgement about Arch.

a few minutes laughting and bashing about how nothing happened and how he would prefer to look like old fashion stylish nazis (just look hopefully) then right back into bashing CA for censorship, 3K mod banning and how female generals problems...and how it was actually oficial CA comment.

EDIT:
    And of course it would be not Arch to roast things when they are alive...we got yet another video I almost believed he will put it behind with just one vid..

Last edited by Daruwind; July 27, 2019 at 08:55 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post

In one of the most absurd dramas of Total War history, Michael Whelan, Content Creator for Creative Assembly, called Arch-Warhammer, a famous and relatively popular Youtuber, as dickhead. This was Whelan's last stream, as he had already announced his resignation from Creative Assembly. The reasons for the feud between Arch-Warhammer and CA is the former's involvement in the review-bombing of Rome II, due to the disproportionate presence of female generals, and his insistence on the controversy surrounding
    the banning of waifu mods for Three Kingdoms. Arch-Warhammer unsuprisingly capitalised on the insult, while the company later published an announcement, apologising for Whelan's derogatory remark and clarifying that his views do not officially represent those of his colleagues or bosses.

In my opinion, there is little doubt that Arch-Warhammer's videos are objectively misleading, intentionally attempting to create a hostile atmosphere against Creative Assembly and provoke drama, in order to pander to his audience's particular insticts. More precisely, although women are indeed over-abundant in Rome II and banning of bikini-mods seems rather hypocritical, when CA promotes obviously sexualised Dark Elves and Amazon soldiers, his statements were simply inaccurate. However, Whelan's reply during his last moments as a CA employee was quite unprofessional. He caused unnecessary trouble for his former employers, while he also managed to undermine his career, as the "scandal" will now remain visible in eternity. Meanwhile, he also strengthened Arch-Warhammer's image as an innocent target for Creative Assembly's unjustified aggression. To summarise, the entire affair looks quite ridiculous and needlessly divisive for the Total War Community.
    What? No WAIFU MODS FOR 3 Kingdoms?!?!
    Is this apocalypse in general or they banned just one mod or something?

Is that troll-hammer or the other CA guy partially responsible for this horror so I can go and bomb their own youtube channels?

Disclaimer: I don't have 3K yet, I plan to buy it when it's really cheap - and when the Waifu mods are back. Or buy it when it's really cheap as I am pretty sure there are pretty women to look at there since it's partially based on Romance of the 3K.
    I hope there are damsels in distress that I can go save etc. And some hardcore woman assassins with video assassinations, like the Geisha's in the first STW.
    Last edited by alhoon; July 28, 2019 at 09:07 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post

In one of the most absurd dramas of Total War history, Michael Whelan, Content Creator for Creative Assembly, called Arch-Warhammer, a famous and relatively popular Youtuber, as dickhead. This was Whelan's last stream, as he had already announced his resignation from Creative Assembly. The reasons for the feud between Arch-Warhammer and CA is the former's involvement in the review-bombing of Rome II, due to the disproportionate presence of female generals, and his insistence on the controversy surrounding the banning of waifu mods for Three Kingdoms. Arch-Warhammer unsuprisingly capitalised on the insult, while the company later published an announcement, apologising for Whelan's derogatory remark and clarifying that his views do not officially represent those of his colleagues or bosses.

It wouldn't surprise me if Arch-Warhammer was indeed a dickhead. I like his content, when it comes to lore and whatnot, he's entertaining, his soundtrack choice is typically solid, and his commentary regarding gameplay and lore is typically very good. Unfortunately, Arch-Warhammer is yet another "gamer" or "nerd" who has been infected by gamergate-style victim mentality and SJW obsession. His alt-right views are easily reflected in his occasional commentary about the 2016 Presidential election where he focused his criticism almost exclusively against the Democratic party.

Overall, I don't blame Arch for capitalizing on this incident, I imagine I would do the same in his position. At the same time, I do find it the constant policing of video game publishers' public image to be tiresome. For a community that's so obsessed with the "politicization" of their beloved video games, gamers are quick to scrutinize and politicize the behavior of video game developers and publishers. The meticulousness with which they monitor video game publishers would be funny, if it wasn't so toxic and counterproductive.

So essentially just another episode of an over his head worker's ego getting too big for his pants acting like a unprofessional schmuck thinking he can just insult his critics only for it to blow up in his face and embarrass his company who has to apologize for his attitude.

With the sympathizers using the typical buzzwords of "alt Right" and "gamergate" on said Gamer critic because despite saying how he has been "infected" with "SJW obsession" they act up on the very words and attitudes of said group that gamer criticizes them for.

Just the same old same old.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Yup generalization flying one way and back, calling names etc. Nothing new. Let´s move on...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgiaFan View Post
    So essentially just another episode of an over his head worker's ego getting too big for his pants acting like a unprofessional schmuck thinking he can just insult his critics only for it to blow up in his face and embarrass his company who has to apologize for his attitude.
    And you know this... how? Have you ever interacted with the worker? Do you know him personally? Does he have a youtube channel where you can become more familiar with him? I doubt you have any information on the incident beyond the headline. I can see you've already made a strong conclusion on the matter.

With the sympathizers using the typical buzzwords of "alt Right" and "gamergate" on said Gamer critic because despite saying how he has been "infected" with "SJW obsession" they act up on the very words and attitudes of said group that gamer criticizes them for.
    I've actually watched a ton of Arch-Warhammer's video and generally like his content. I don't like his political commentary because I've inadvertently had to listen to a lot of it. A lot of his criticism is indeed non-sensical. I do find it hilarious that you accuse me of generalizations when you employ them yourself.

Just the same old same old.
    I agree. You found a narrative you like, and will do everything you can to support that narrative regardless of how true it is. It is indeed, "same old, same old".