Thread: Some advice for my campaign

Default Some advice for my campaign

Greetings, finally an actual person!

I would like to get some needed and very much welcome advice for my Austrian campaign, which is set on normal/normal. I honestly would like to know, if I am doing it right.

Here goes. It is currently winter 1735. I am still an absolute monarchy and have kicked the Ottomans out of Europe, conquering all of their lands in the process. I have conquered Venice (their settlement in Greece included) and the Italian States (i.e. Rome). I did that because they declared war on me when I attacked Venice. I didn't immediately attack them, I even brokered peace with them, because I had to recover my military and financial losses. The latter ones were inflicted by Rome when they blockaded one of my ports, completely throttling my trade. Once I recovered, I took over Rome, prompting Genoa to declare war on me. Eventually, I conquered the city state and its colony on Corsica. Meanwhile, several turns ago, the king I started with died, prompting Spain to declare a war of succession on me, which they cancelled after two or three turns. Now they declared war on me again by landing an army near Rome. Before doing that, they at one point requested indefinite military access, which I refused. I wanted something in return but they weren't up for it (was that a bad move on my part?). I even offered them Corsica in hope of preventing their invasion. They took it but landed anyway. If it weren't for them, I would've engineered a republican revolution by now. So, what is your opinion of this?

Regarding revolutions, when would it be the appropriate time to engineer one? Earlier on in the campaign or later? Also, even though I have more than a dozen trading ports, only one seems to be active, it has a trade route connecting it with other ports while others do not, why is it that way? Lastly, out of curiosity, what would happen, if I sack a minister and undemocratically replace him with someone else in a republic, would that create a public order penalty?

Thank you and I apologise for such a long post!

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Default Re: Some advice for my campaign

so, is this kind of an RP thing, where you are trying to be in the spirit of the period, or do you just want a revolution, period

personally, i find absolute monarchy the easiest form of government, and there really isnt any big advantage to republics. if you want one, just raise taxes through the roof and max out your universities, thatll give you a revolution soon enough. just dont do it while in any serious war, but late game is def the safest way.

replacing ministers doesnt have any consequences afaik. republic and constitutional just restrict you from getting rid of useless ones at will.

ports create some money regardless, but the game will assign trade routes as it sees fit. one end are your trading partners or overseas territories (where you get spices and other stuff to sell), the other connects to a homeport from where your capital can be reached via land trade. no access to homeport/capital, no trade.