Thread: Bree struggle

Default Bree struggle

I enjoy Bree as a faction it's the most similar to England and a challenging Northern Dunedain. That being said everytime i've played them it's ended badly.
    This time i did everything i could to stay alive:
    I Sent an army down south to take the Barrow Downs, Cardolan and then both Tharbads. Then i cunningly traded Tharbad for Vol Vorn (the endwaith territory near Lindon) giving myself a nice buffer with Dunland. Whilst sending a hobbit based army down to take the three towers, and the two mines locations south of the Shire. I also grabbed three more settlements and was building up my economy and forces in the multitude of forts. I even made peace with Angmar and Dunland eventually thinking my next fight would be versus Endwaith and i wanted to be able to devote everything to them. The war came and this was our lands at the start of the war:

https://imgur.com/fAr5jks

They just swamped me with massive armies with units as strong if not stronger than mine. Haven't reached the Bree military or barracks event yet. Anyone able to stay alive as Bree and how? Thanks
    Last edited by Darrowmere; July 26, 2019 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Can't get image to work

Default Re: Bree struggle

Your mistake was going to war with Enedwaith without having Lindon share a border. Assuming you've allied with Lindon, that would have sealed Enedwaith's fate and you would have a strong ally in the war. Giving Lindon two of your southwest regions gives them a shared border with Enedwaith, and hopefully encourages them to attack.

Enedwaith is my favorite faction in DaC, and as Bree you're going to have to fight fire with fire. Gather up reliable archer units to take out their skirmishers, hold the line with strong defensive units, and recruit as many Greenway Riders as you can to sweep up their archers. You're going to lose a lot of infantry doing this, but it's the most effective way of countering Enedwaith, as their units are mostly lightly armoured. Hold their infantry, take out their skirmishers and archers, then hammer and anvil with your cavalry or position your archers behind their line and fire into their backs (assuming you have the ammo). Beware the faction leader/heir. Enedwaith Champions will annihilate even your strongest units.

That said, once you start making progress into Enedwaith territory, I'll assume you'll be taking Tharbad back. That's going to A) damage your diplomacy and B) invite the Dunland AI to start up a war again. Dunland and Enedwaith either ally or go for each other's throats by the time the barracks event happens. Pray the latter happens. There's a slight possibility they'd be open to an alliance if they go to war with Enedwaith, but usually you'll end up with a three-way war among the Middlemen factions.
    Last edited by LuckyPistol; July 26, 2019 at 10:47 AM.

They started the war i got the whole give us some money or we'll attack diplomacy from them then they declared on me. I do have quite a bit of merchant cavalry and greenway it's just getting them to my main armies in the west in time. I've got Tharbad under siege by a small force for now however Dunland who is at peace with me is at war with Enedwaith so i may let them take it to avoid diplomatic negativity. I don't think i can ally them as they're at war with ND still but enemy of my enemy and i've got Royal Tharbad built up enough i can keep a big garrison for free there to keep them from attacking. I'll try gifting Lindon some regions and see how it goes but i may have to start a new campaign as i think i'm a little too battered. Thanks

If you can't make an alliance with Dunland, then just take Tharbad. I only brought up the diplomacy penalty as it would have affected your "reliability" and ease of having successful diplomacy. Dunland might be scripted to go after it, but Enedwaith is the bigger threat.

It's good that Dunland is at war with them, that in theory should alleviate some pressure off of you. How's your treasury? I've found the Sellsword (expensive) and billmen-esque mercenaries (less expensive) along the Greyflood River regions to be effective in settlement defense against Enedwaith. Hire Bandits/Outlaws whenever you can, they do a good job of chasing down/catching up to skirmishers.

Don't be afraid to lose those southwestern settlements of yours (temporarily), they aren't that well developed and can easily be taken back when you recover and marshal fresh troops.

My economy is good but two of the southwest regions have mines which i could lose and keep going but it'd really help them. Wont have a chance to play till Monday now but will update how it goes.

Actually, I'm currently in a Bree campaign. I have destroyed Dunland and Enedwaith and currently destroying Isengard without much problem.

Tactic with Bree is fundamental, your early unit are utter trash, and only become viable after the barrack event if you choose the dunedain.

So... Bree is an archery faction (believe it or not :-p ). You need some militia that can be crushed by anything but which will hold the line while you would destroy the ennemy line with archers and cavalry.

Journeyman is basically your number 1 unit in early game, since it has the capacity of crushing any unit if you place them well.

I myself use a tactic that consist in letting my units engage with gap between them in order for my journeyman to crush the ennemy with bolt.

Enedwaith has very bad cavalry, so you can beat them with your greenway (or even merchant), and crappy line infantry that doesn't like being stick with arrows. So stick them hard with bolt or arrow, and an occasionnal cavalry charge with greenway cavalry (8 charge is good !), and they will crumble like birthday cake.

Oh yeah, one last thing : just take suduri as early as possible to stop them there and just siege Tharbad (on eastern shore). It will block either dunland or enedwaith which hold the city and will let you conquest cardolan without real problem.

Bree is really fun after choosing dunadain. I'm currently crushing isengard and will soon try to beat mordor and his puppets.