Thread: How did the EBII devs decide on the names for Government buildings?

Default How did the EBII devs decide on the names for Government buildings?

I've got a thread in this subforum about typing up what the Chinese Warring States would look like converted to EBII. Insert obligatory I am not petitioning the devs to add Ancient China to the mod disclaimer here. The latest big post is working on fleshing out the Government structure, and this is where the received Chinese history's emphasis on bureaucracy and government works to my advantage, there's already a codified hierarchy to convert to game form. But then I come to the initial stage of conquest (equivalent to Doryktete Ge and Pacificatio Regionis,) and this prompted the question...how did the devs decide on the names for Government buildings?

Obviously they come from ancient texts, inscriptions, etc, but are they all exact words from ancient material or are there a few reasonable approximations?

Default Re: How did the EBII devs decide on the names for Government buildings?

You need to simply translate the name to Chinese because the initial stages of government for Greeks and Romans are more-or-less this. "The land taken with a spear" and "regional pacification". I think "conquered land" translated into Chinese would work just fine.
    Last edited by Satapatiš; August 22, 2020 at 09:27 AM.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Default Re: How did the EBII devs decide on the names for Government buildings?

My current plan is to name the initial stage of the conquest "Pacified Land" ("Anfu" in Mandarin, 安服 in modern Traditional Chinese script, I intend to do further investigation on the suitability of the characters) in the same vein as the term "Pacified West," but upon rereading my source it looks like that is a Tang era convention, not a Han one.

As far as I know Pacificatio Regionis does not fit any particular cultural more of the Romani, but Doryktete Ge refers to a specific idea in the Greek cultural conscious detailed in the description. I am attempting to refer to Ancient Chinese notions of conquest, which in their military culture is closely related to punitive action and the maintenance of order/prosperity. I believe my current idea for the subject is pretty on the mark, but I'm wondering if I can get some general hints on where to look.