Thread: [SUBMOD] Train your Generals at Schools! -&- Fixed Trait and Ancillary Triggers

Icon1 [SUBMOD] Train your Generals at Schools! -&- Fixed Trait and Ancillary Triggers

Now completely compatible with Imperial Splendour: Rise of the Republic.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If
    you played Empire enough,
    you probably got ancillaries like Amusing Cad, Pet Hermit and Mistress. How about Bareknuckle Champion, got this one? ... and the Fur Trapper, Numismatist, Historian, Vampire Hunter, Actress, Sailing Master (...)? Got those?

Yep, me neither.

How about Faction Leader Traits? I mean... Beyond Bon Vivant and Status Quo. How about him turning into a Despot after suppressing a Rebellion or growing fond (perhaps too fond) of Foreigners?

That's because most of the triggers for Traits and Ancillaries are broken since 2009, mind you!

What this mod do?
    It changes the triggers for Traits and Ancillaries that weren't working for triggers that work. Since the King is regarded by the game as a regular Minister, some of his specific traits were distributed in minister creation; some are acquired by him and the Head of Gov., and some are acquired by him alone.

It also fixes triggers that were impossible or virtually impossible, adding a new trigger or a better chance of getting them.

But here's the cherry on the cake: Generals left in Educational buildings get traits and ancillaries related to artillery, engineering or science (i.e. Surgeon, General of Artillery, Exploring Officer). However, they can also become Atheists, too fond of the bottle or get a sweetheart! (OBS: applies only to Europeans).

[EDIT v0.4] Development in schools is now for a fixed period. It takes 6 turns to a General to graduate either as Siege Engineer or Artillerist (never both). They have a 15% chance of flunking each the semester though.

Maybe if you leave them in Religious buildings they can befriend a Military Padre or a Doctor... but they can also become quite fervent in the ways of religion. (OBS: Applies only to Catholics and Protestants).

Screenshots (provided by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus):

In the pictures you can see Generals with acquired artillery skills on Educational Buildings and other traits/ancillaries (among many more) you could not acquire before.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Why does it say Beta?
    I'm no modder, there's no proper guide (YET!) and, excepting the help of Quintus Hortensius Hortalus, I had to figured out mostly by myself. I also never had touched a script in my life, so that was fun...

The mod is fully functional, but balancing is needed. If any trait is popping too much, the game became too easy or hard, tell here.

HOW to Install?
    Mod is now on Movie format, just throw on the data folder and you're good to go!

Credits:

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus

- For replying to every single noob question of mine, since I began modding. Thanks!
    - Testing;
    - Compatibility for RotR;
    - Making the new Ancillaries;
    - Collaboration in general, without it the mod wouldn't be possible!

Compatibility
    With most mods, including Total Conversions. Not compatible with Imperial Destroyer or VDM.

DOWNLOAD

Chengelog 0.1

1. Generals. Pious/Secular are mutually exclusive.
    2. Admirals. Less chance of getting Sailing Master and Purser, and Followers in general.
    3. Generals. Less chance of getting Pious or Secular.
    4. Generals. While in school, they can only get artillery/engineering traits after 5 turns and 15 turns respectively for level 1 and 2, but a much higher chance.
    5. Generals. Engineer and Artty traits are acquired now based on their skill level.
    6. Generals. Now have a slightly better chance of getting followers while on school.
    7. Generals. With "Vice" will acquire a "Commoner Mistress" while on a Bawdy House, along with a better chance for getting the Boxing Champion.
    8. Generals. Popular generals (Hero_of_the_press) now have a better chance of getting followers on schools. However, they can obtain "Actress" as mistress, which is detrimental to their moving speed.
    9. Ministers/King. They can get "Pious" by creation only, excepting the King and Head of Gov. which can acquired it and develop it into "Devout", if they aren't Humanists already.
    10. Ministers/King. Humanist and Pious are mutually exclusive now.
    11. Generals/Rakes/Gentleman. Now can get "Rosy cheeked" or "Sick" when create/promoted.
    Chengelog 0.2

1. Various traits and ancillaries are now conditioned to other traits, resembling a personality development. E.g. "Interested in Spying" for the King/Head is conditioned of them being either a) Shameless (Vice) b) Smart (Clever) or c) Lewd (Debauched). Ministers cannot acquires "Physiocrat" unless if they have "Status Quo" first, etc.
    This also leads to bad traits (i.e. vice) being actually useful, as they open the possibility of a desirable trait.
    2. Trait and ancillaries acquirement is reduced. Now it feels more polished, rather than something "mod-y". You'll still see more traits popping though, because with the mod Ministers in the poll develop as well (to some extent).
    3. Generals. Development in school increased.
    4. With the help of Quintus Hortensius Hortalus the mod is now completely compatible not only with RotR, but with it's upcoming update! Huzzah!
    Changelog 0.3

1. Generals. Ancillaries and Traits tweaked all around, development should feel more fluid.
    2. Generals/Admirals. Martinet and Slacker traits added.
    3. Generals. Now they'll develop on Bawdy Houses as well. If your general is a drinker or morally dubious, he'll get Ancillaries and Traits related to these qualities (i.e. launch ambushes, mistresses etc), however they may find themselves too fond of the bottle.
    4. Generals. In Bawdy Houses located on America they may gain "Tomahawk", "African Servant" or "Fur Trapper".
    5. Ministers. Governor of America now can gain "Fake Chief" and "Peace Pipe" as followers.
    6. Ministers. Head and King now gain traits on a slower rate.
    7. Ministers. Many tweaks all around.
    8. Some mistakes with RotR the compatibility now are fixed.

BUGS: Some traits disappear, it's very rare though. It may be related to conflicting traits, if so, it may be fixed now.
    Changelog 0.4

The cherry: Development in schools is now for a fixed period. It takes 6 turns to a General to graduate either as Siege Engineer or Artillerist (never both). They have a 15% chance of flunking each the semester though.

1. Generals. Now they'll develop popularity (Hero of the Press) on Theaters and Pleasure Gardens, if they are Good Commanders, Brave or already famous. However, those Generals can get fat, drunk or lewd in doing so. Posh ancillaries or related with popularity also added (Presentation Sword, Military Artist, Biographer, Sommelier, Actress).
    2. Generals. Development of Bawdy Houses extended to coaching inns.
    3. Minister. Governor of America now has access to "Fur Trader", an ancillary that produces 2 of fur (remains untested).
    4. Admirals. Made Purser and sailing master easier to obtain, but they are still restricted to higher level admirals.
    5. Generals. Quartermaster, Fur Trapper and Drillmaster diminish misfire chance (remains untested).
    6. Generals. Quartermaster and Drillmaster diminish Upkeep.
    7. Generals. Sommelier added to Generals and excluded to Ministers, effects changed.
    8. Admirals. Winning a battle should remove "slacker" (remains untested).
    9. Everything. General tweaking.
    10. Mod is now on Movie format, just throw on the data folder and you're good to go
    Patch 0.4a

Fixes General development at schools.
    Patch 0.9

1. Huge amount ofbug fixing.
    2. Generals are now to graduate in either Engineering or Artillery while on schools (rarely both).
    3. Several traits are now fixed for Kings.
    4.Triggers nerfed. They feel more "Vanilla-like" now.
    5. Spy Network. A Network will give Sabotage and Assassination bonuses, but the Rake will lose his contacts as soon as he exit the enemy country.
    6. New Ancillaries added (credits to Quintus Hortensius Hortalus): Coxswain, Boatswain, Steward, Ship's Cat and Influential Cousin. Looking awesome!
    Patch 1.0

- Fixed Leader traits disappearing (may still happen with some);
    - Balancing;
    - Added more New Ancillaries made by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus: Matador (Bullfighter), Obsessive Second Secretary, Trumpeter, Fifer and Drummer!
    - Generals and Colonels can now receive duel. It doesn't work for the general present at the startpos, doesn't work for Generals inside settlements.
    Last edited by iporto9393; August 15, 2019 at 06:35 PM.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Train your Generals at Schools! -&- Fixed Trait and Ancillary Triggers

To give you a short feedback after 28 turns:
    All those traits are amazing!
    The purser is popping up in every admiral the sailing master is also very common. The piety trait is also a very common feature. And I think the leader traits like humanist are generally working (only by moving characters to a school they immediately get lvl3, is this intended?!).
    BTW I just recognized although your mod is compatible with RotR some nations won't get some triggers as we added several new school / education and army building chains. This might be solved by adding the new building chain to the trigger with an "or" condition.

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Train your Generals at Schools! -&- Fixed Trait and Ancillary Triggers

Thanks for the feedback! Just a few questions:

1) Did you get the Longitude Watch?

2) Piety/Secular are working disproportionately indeed, they were intended to have a bigger change of triggering, but it's too much. I should make them mutually exclusive today as well.

3) The General development is working, but they have a very small chance of getting those (e.g. 1%x7 for ancillaries). I'm changing this also today. Currently it goes like this:

effect.ancillary("Ancillary_Army_Exploring_Officer", 1, context)
    effect.ancillary("Ancillary_Army_Military_Artist", 1, context)
    effect.ancillary("Ancillary_Army_Military_Surveyor", 1, context)
    effect.ancillary("Ancillary_Army_Surgeon", 1, context)
    effect.ancillary("Ancillary_Artillery_Expert", 1, context)
    effect.ancillary("Ancillary_Army_Hagiographer", 1, context)
    effect.ancillary("Ancillary_Mistress_Actress", 1, context)

events.CharacterTurnEnd[#events.CharacterTurnEnd+1] =
    function (context)
    if conditions.CharacterType("General", context) and conditions.CharacterInBuildingOfChain("education", context) and conditions.CharacterCultureType("european", context) and not conditions.CampaignName("episodic_1", context) and not conditions.CampaignName("episodic_3", context) and conditions.CharacterCultureType("european", context) then
    effect.trait("C_General_of_Artillery", "agent", 1, 3, context)
    effect.trait("C_Feck_Vice", "agent", 1, 2, context)
    effect.trait("C_Leader_Humanist", "agent", 6, 5, context)
    effect.trait("C_Siege_Engineering", "agent", 1, 3, context)
    return true
    end
    return false
    end

4) General at schools are intended lvl 3 Humanist straight away, because I plan to make this level exclusive for them.

5) Can you send me the main db .pack of RoTR so I can add the chains (simply the name of the chains would do as well)?
    Last edited by iporto9393; July 23, 2019 at 12:10 PM.

[Updated]

[Updated] V0.2

[Updated] v.03

[Updated] v.04

[Patched] v.04a

[Updated] 0.9 version

[UPDATED] Version 1.0
    Train your Generals at Schools -&- Ancillaries and Traits Overhaul (E:TW)

TWC Thread

Fahnat's Avatar Biarchus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Is this mod compatible with other mods, like Imperial Destroyer?

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnat View Post
    Is this mod compatible with other mods, like Imperial Destroyer?
    Not compatible with Imperial Destroyer or VDM. It may be compatible with most mods.

How did you get this glorious avatar?

TWC Thread

I am using this mod, there are traits with no effect like crakshot or boarding party - are they bugged?

Crackshot and Boarding party supposed to be named both "Accepted at Military Academy". The former allows your general to develop Artillery related traits on Schools, while the latter does the same for Engineering skills, but this wouldn't appear on text.

You have a problem with the Localization files. Are you playing the latest version? Try to download it again. If that doesn't work, remove the "Patch_IS_Text.pack" from your data folder (and back up it).

I'd be grateful if you could provide feedback after 50 turns or so.

TWC Thread

Sorry to answer only now, but I have the 1.0 version of your mod - I will start a new game again and provide you with feedback

OK! Report if "Crack Shots" and "Boarding Party" are still appearing.

TWC Thread

Port's Avatar Civis

Oh, so you modd yet! Fine! Is help needed? Did East and Native American fractions do? Maybe you need 2D to do something?

@Port Thanks for stopping by! Right now I'm playing a 5TPY campaign to proper testing, taking notes (and fun!). It seems to be fully functional and balanced-ish, excepting some minor things.

However, I still didn't touch Native traits and ancillaries, in that sense help would be much appreciated to revise their triggers. As I played little with Native factions and their traits are almost exclusively unique, it'd be pretty difficult for me to handle them.

I plan to include a "Scandal System", which is almost ready in everything but testing and bug fixing. When I update, help would be appreciated with this as well!

TWC Thread

Greetings guys, sounds very good this mod. one question; there are several version of IS. Does it work with Imperial Splendour {v2.2.1b}?

Keep up the good work!

Elektra

Icon3 Re: [SUBMOD] Train your Generals at Schools! -&- Fixed Trait and Ancillary Triggers

Crappy MEGA filehoster hangs my browser by taking up 2GB of RAM with one tab, so instead download the mod from GoogleDrive here, without mindf-ing:

Better_trait_triggers_test_1.0.pack

Last edited by trueman11; September 24, 2022 at 06:31 PM.