Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Train your Generals at Schools! -&- Fixed Trait and Ancillary Triggers

Icon1 Train your Generals at Schools! -&- Fixed Trait and Ancillary Triggers

Now completely compatible with Imperial Splendour: Rise of the Republic.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If
    you played Empire enough,
    you probably got ancillaries like Amusing Cad, Pet Hermit and Mistress. How about Bareknuckle Champion, got this one? ... and the Fur Trapper, Numismatist, Historian, Vampire Hunter, Actress, Sailing Master (...)? Got those?

Yep, me neither.

How about Faction Leader Traits? I mean... Beyond Bon Vivant and Status Quo. How about him turning into a Despot after suppressing a Rebellion or growing fond (perhaps too fond) of Foreigners?

That's because most of the triggers for Traits and Ancillaries are broken since 2009, mind you!

What this mod do?
    It changes the triggers for Traits and Ancillaries that weren't working for triggers that work. Since the King is regarded by the game as a regular Minister, some of his specific traits were distributed in minister creation; some are acquired by him and the Head of Gov., and some are acquired by him alone.

It also fixes triggers that were impossible or virtually impossible, adding a new trigger or a better chance of getting them.

But here's the cherry on the cake: Generals left in Educational buildings get traits and ancillaries related to artillery, engineering or science (i.e. Surgeon, General of Artillery, Exploring Officer). However, they can also become Atheists, too fond of the bottle or get a sweetheart! (OBS: applies only to Europeans).

[EDIT v0.4] Development in schools is now for a fixed period. It takes 6 turns to a General to graduate either as Siege Engineer or Artillerist (never both). They have a 15% chance of flunking each the semester though.

Maybe if you leave them in Religious buildings they can befriend a Military Padre or a Doctor... but they can also become quite fervent in the ways of religion. (OBS: Applies only to Catholics and Protestants).

Screenshots (provided by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus):

In the pictures you can see Generals with acquired artillery skills on Educational Buildings and other traits/ancillaries (among many more) you could not acquire before.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Why does it say Beta?
    I'm no modder, there's no proper guide (YET!) and, excepting the help of Quintus Hortensius Hortalus, I had to figured out mostly by myself. I also never had touched a script in my life, so that was fun...

The mod is fully functional, but balancing is needed. If any trait is popping too much, the game became too easy or hard, tell here.

HOW to Install?
    Mod is now on Movie format, just throw on the data folder and you're good to go!

Credits:

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus

- For replying to every single noob question of mine, since I began modding. Thanks!
    - Testing;
    - Compatibility for RotR;
    - Making the new Ancillaries;
    - Collaboration in general, without it the mod wouldn't be possible!

Compatibility
    With most mods, including Total Conversions. Not compatible with Imperial Destroyer or VDM.

DOWNLOAD

Chengelog 0.1

1. Generals. Pious/Secular are mutually exclusive.
    2. Admirals. Less chance of getting Sailing Master and Purser, and Followers in general.
    3. Generals. Less chance of getting Pious or Secular.
    4. Generals. While in school, they can only get artillery/engineering traits after 5 turns and 15 turns respectively for level 1 and 2, but a much higher chance.
    5. Generals. Engineer and Artty traits are acquired now based on their skill level.
    6. Generals. Now have a slightly better chance of getting followers while on school.
    7. Generals. With "Vice" will acquire a "Commoner Mistress" while on a Bawdy House, along with a better chance for getting the Boxing Champion.
    8. Generals. Popular generals (Hero_of_the_press) now have a better chance of getting followers on schools. However, they can obtain "Actress" as mistress, which is detrimental to their moving speed.
    9. Ministers/King. They can get "Pious" by creation only, excepting the King and Head of Gov. which can acquired it and develop it into "Devout", if they aren't Humanists already.
    10. Ministers/King. Humanist and Pious are mutually exclusive now.
    11. Generals/Rakes/Gentleman. Now can get "Rosy cheeked" or "Sick" when create/promoted.
    Chengelog 0.2

1. Various traits and ancillaries are now conditioned to other traits, resembling a personality development. E.g. "Interested in Spying" for the King/Head is conditioned of them being either a) Shameless (Vice) b) Smart (Clever) or c) Lewd (Debauched). Ministers cannot acquires "Physiocrat" unless if they have "Status Quo" first, etc.
    This also leads to bad traits (i.e. vice) being actually useful, as they open the possibility of a desirable trait.
    2. Trait and ancillaries acquirement is reduced. Now it feels more polished, rather than something "mod-y". You'll still see more traits popping though, because with the mod Ministers in the poll develop as well (to some extent).
    3. Generals. Development in school increased.
    4. With the help of Quintus Hortensius Hortalus the mod is now completely compatible not only with RotR, but with it's upcoming update! Huzzah!
    Changelog 0.3

1. Generals. Ancillaries and Traits tweaked all around, development should feel more fluid.
    2. Generals/Admirals. Martinet and Slacker traits added.
    3. Generals. Now they'll develop on Bawdy Houses as well. If your general is a drinker or morally dubious, he'll get Ancillaries and Traits related to these qualities (i.e. launch ambushes, mistresses etc), however they may find themselves too fond of the bottle.
    4. Generals. In Bawdy Houses located on America they may gain "Tomahawk", "African Servant" or "Fur Trapper".
    5. Ministers. Governor of America now can gain "Fake Chief" and "Peace Pipe" as followers.
    6. Ministers. Head and King now gain traits on a slower rate.
    7. Ministers. Many tweaks all around.
    8. Some mistakes with RotR the compatibility now are fixed.

BUGS: Some traits disappear, it's very rare though. It may be related to conflicting traits, if so, it may be fixed now.
    Changelog 0.4

The cherry: Development in schools is now for a fixed period. It takes 6 turns to a General to graduate either as Siege Engineer or Artillerist (never both). They have a 15% chance of flunking each the semester though.

1. Generals. Now they'll develop popularity (Hero of the Press) on Theaters and Pleasure Gardens, if they are Good Commanders, Brave or already famous. However, those Generals can get fat, drunk or lewd in doing so. Posh ancillaries or related with popularity also added (Presentation Sword, Military Artist, Biographer, Sommelier, Actress).
    2. Generals. Development of Bawdy Houses extended to coaching inns.
    3. Minister. Governor of America now has access to "Fur Trader", an ancillary that produces 2 of fur (remains untested).
    4. Admirals. Made Purser and sailing master easier to obtain, but they are still restricted to higher level admirals.
    5. Generals. Quartermaster, Fur Trapper and Drillmaster diminish misfire chance (remains untested).
    6. Generals. Quartermaster and Drillmaster diminish Upkeep.
    7. Generals. Sommelier added to Generals and excluded to Ministers, effects changed.
    8. Admirals. Winning a battle should remove "slacker" (remains untested).
    9. Everything. General tweaking.
    10. Mod is now on Movie format, just throw on the data folder and you're good to go
    Patch 0.4a

Fixes General development at schools.
    Patch 0.9

1. Huge amount ofbug fixing.
    2. Generals are now to graduate in either Engineering or Artillery while on schools (rarely both).
    3. Several traits are now fixed for Kings.
    4.Triggers nerfed. They feel more "Vanilla-like" now.
    5. Spy Network. A Network will give Sabotage and Assassination bonuses, but the Rake will lose his contacts as soon as he exit the enemy country.
    6. New Ancillaries added (credits to Quintus Hortensius Hortalus): Coxswain, Boatswain, Steward, Ship's Cat and Influential Cousin. Looking awesome!
    Patch 1.0

- Fixed Leader traits disappearing (may still happen with some);
    - Balancing;
    - Added more New Ancillaries made by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus: Matador (Bullfighter), Obsessive Second Secretary, Trumpeter, Fifer and Drummer!
    - Generals and Colonels can now receive duel. It doesn't work for the general present at the startpos, doesn't work for Generals inside settlements.
    Last edited by iporto9393; August 15, 2019 at 06:36 PM.

Default Re: Train your Generals at Schools! -&- Fixed Trait and Ancillary Triggers

[updated] v.03

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Train your Generals at Schools! -&- Fixed Trait and Ancillary Triggers

Great idea! I especially like the idea of generals getting traits and ancilliaries relevant to educational or religious buildings.

Hey, Alwyn, thanks for the support.

I especially like the idea of generals getting traits and ancilliaries relevant to educational or religious buildings
    Don't forget the Bawdy Houses (added yesterday)! In the Americas you even get special Followers for a general in those: Tomahawk, War Pony, African Servant and Fur Trapper. You can also get Common Floozy as mistress, Pox Doctor and Bare Knuckle Champion everywhere else.

If you're vicious, drunk or famous you can also learn from those bad hombres how to launch ambushes. More is coming out today! Quintus from the IS Team just created new followers, including a ship's cat!
    Last edited by iporto9393; July 26, 2019 at 09:53 PM.

[Updated V.0.4]

[Patched] 0.4a.
    Last edited by iporto9393; July 27, 2019 at 01:07 AM.

Wow, this is totally awesome! I'm currently playing Shogun 2, but I think that I will definitely come back to Empire since this is out. Thank you! Is it possible to add more traits in the future? Or is this mod only restores the inactive ones?

Thank you, Sagez.

It'll feature 6 ancillaries made by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Ship's Cat, Influential Cousin, Boatswain & cia).

Some cut content traits (i.e. Boarding Party, Cold Steel etc) were repurposed and renamed becoming effectively new traits. As of now, I'm working on a Scandal system (everything done but testing), and I'm
    planning to add bad gambling trait tree as result of a general being stationed on Bawdy Houses and the like. They are sketched to be like this:

Gambling Fiend (lvl3)
    Snake Eyes (lvl 2)
    Gambler (lvl 1)

3" "Congratulations for the newborn, dear uncle. Oh, a boy I see? Pay up at once, Jenkins!" "False"
    2" "Cards, dice... the weather! There's nothing this man wouldn't place a wager on..." "False"
    1" "A bit of craps never hurt anyone... Anyone with luck that is!" "False"

[UPDATED] Version 0.9

[UPDATED] Version 1.0
    Train your Generals at Schools -&- Ancillaries and Traits Overhaul (E:TW)

TWC Thread

Haven't played this yet, but I'll definitely will. I have a question: will you add even more ancillaries and traits? I think that faction traits could be interesting (for example, maybe some Dutch generals could boost city's trade/tax income, while Russian would increase repression when garrisoned and Polish generals could have big bonuses when leading cavalry, but being incompetent with infantry). Don't know if that's possible though, I think of it as a fun flavour.

Very glad to see mods are still being made for this game. Just installed, is there any way to tell if the mod works do i just have to send a general to a school to wait a see? Hope it works

Anyway does this mod also work for the warpath campaign? would love to beef up my native generals, because when bows and axes go up against musket lines and cannons you really need all the help you can get.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by iporto9393 View Post
    Some cut content traits (i.e. Boarding Party, Cold Steel etc) were repurposed and renamed becoming effectively new traits. As of now, I'm working on a Scandal system (everything done but testing), and I'm
    planning to add bad gambling trait tree as result of a general being stationed on Bawdy Houses and the like. They are sketched to be like this:
    I wonder if you edit some vanilla traits e.g Raised in the Woods (Road to Independence), A Fair Chance? (I think it was called and it's about ambush) etc, because some traits makes it too easy to become a high ranking general.

9. Everything. General tweaking.
    What does it do? Does it balance the game or is it just changing a vanilla ancillary/trait?

Good idea, I'll give it a try later. Thanks.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Sir - this is a fantastic idea! I'll have to try it out.

works great, but I sometimes get battle traits for ministers and naval traits for generals, it seems to always be boarding party and crack shots (making them useless)

I started a new campagin yesterday with ETF and so far I cannot see any conflicts between this mod and ETF, so I guess ETF is compatible with this mod.

However, I did notice one minor error, not game breaking though, but it could eventually become a problem and that's about the Pious trait.

When a minister, usually a minister, get the Pious trait religious unrest should be supressed right, but it is not instead it increases religious unrest by +10% when it should be -10%.

Has anyone else notice the same thing as I have about the Pious trait?

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I started a new campagin yesterday with ETF and so far I cannot see any conflicts between this mod and ETF, so I guess ETF is compatible with this mod.

However, I did notice one minor error, not game breaking though, but it could eventually become a problem and that's about the Pious trait.

When a minister, usually a minister, get the Pious trait religious unrest should be supressed right, but it is not instead it increases religious unrest by +10% when it should be -10%.

Has anyone else notice the same thing as I have about the Pious trait?
    Hi, @Leonardo. I'm not developing the mod anymore unfortunately, the daily testing was just too time consuming (and monotonous as hell), which made me lose interest in Empire altogether.

Regarding the "Pious" trait, the idea was that a "Pious" character would be more likely to create religious conflict, while a "Humanist" would tend to be more pragmatic and work better in religion dissension. Religious Unrest only happens when there's more than a religion present in a region.

For instance, appointing a protestant zealot as governor of Ireland would surely cause unrest among the "papist" populace.

There's also the balancing issue as being "Pious" block the "Lewd", "Corrupt" and other bad traits (maybe bad ancillaries as well?) from developing, which is an advantage. This trait is also used as a 'negative' side effect of leaving a character too long inside a religious building, to balance it's benefits (getting certain ancillaries).

Moreover, if I'm not mistaken, this allows you to use Priests withe this trait aggressively as they'll increase religious unrest in enemy territory, if present. I don't remember if this actually works though.
    Last edited by iporto9393; February 13, 2020 at 05:59 PM.

TWC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tsar Martin View Post
    works great, but I sometimes get battle traits for ministers and naval traits for generals, it seems to always be boarding party and crack shots (making them useless)
    The "crackshots" and "boarding party" were placeholder traits that should only appear in generals. They allow them to develop either "Engineer" or "Artillerist" traits when stationed at schools. You're seeing these names probably because you're having a conflict with the localization file, normally both should be named "Accepted at Military Academy", differing only on their icon.

TWC Thread

Hi, @Leonardo. I'm not developing the mod anymore unfortunately, the daily testing was just too time consuming (and monotonous as hell), which made me lose interest in Empire altogether.
    I know what you mean by boring testing and believe me when I say, I know how it is when testing a mod during development and that's what happen to me in Skyrim. Especially, when loading my mod into the CK (Creation Kit - official modding tool).

Regarding the "Pious" trait, the idea was that a "Pious" character would be more likely to create religious conflict, while a "Humanist" would tend to be more pragmatic and work better in religion dissension. Religious Unrest only happens when there's more than a religion present in a region.

For instance, appointing a protestant zealot as governor of Ireland would surely cause unrest among the "papist" populace.

There's also the balancing issue as being "Pious" block the "Lewd", "Corrupt" and other bad traits (maybe bad ancillaries as well?) from developing, which is an advantage. This trait is also used as a 'negative' side effect of leaving a character too long inside a religious building, to balance it's benefits (getting certain ancillaries).
    I can understand your idea behind this, but in vanilla the religious unrest will always be decreased not increased by the Pious trait.

Moreover, if I'm not mistaken, this allows you to use Priests withe this trait aggressively as they'll increase religious unrest in enemy territory, if present. I don't remember if this actually works though.
    Converting to your religion will also increase reglious unrest, so having a trait to increase religious unrest doesn't make sense. But letting a trait decrease religious unrest seems logical.

You're seeing these names probably because you're having a conflict with the localization file, normally both should be named "Accepted at Military Academy", differing only on their icon.
    I have played the RtI scenario (chapter 3) a lot lately and getting that trait for your general doesn't make sense, because at that time when the Americans fought for their independence the military academy (West Point) as we know today didn't exist.

Only the 4th chapter should have that trait, so either removing that trait or replace that trait with a Military Academy ancillary to be present for the existing generals when the player start the 4th chapter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast