Thread: Your favorite faction from Desert Kingdoms Culture Pack and why?

Default Your favorite faction from Desert Kingdoms Culture Pack and why?

I just recently purchased this DLC and I need help deciding which faction to pick.

Default Re: Your favorite faction from Desert Kingdoms Culture Pack and why?

Definitely go with Masaesyli if you're already experienced with Rome II. I don't want to spoil anything, but they are the able to confederate despite not being a barbarian faction. Their location is also a fun start and adequately challenging. Kush is fun if you like archers and want an easier early game (I don't know why the menu screen labels them "hard", Egypt sends all their men to battle the Selecuids, leaving themselves wide open for invasion). Nabatea and Saba play quite similar, but Saba have the unique building and safer starting location, while the Nabatea have the stronger layout that allows for some rapid expansion depending on which successor state you choose to back.

I've played all four, and Masaesyli have been the most rewarding. Saba is definitely the easiest.

Before I read your reply, I started playing as Nabatea. It was fun because they have a lot of good units early and later on. So in their case, their bad location means, a lot of battles with you slaughtering your enemies. Not like having a bad location and weak units...which is just torture for me. I recently started playing as the Masaesyli. So far, it's been really hard because you start out with almost nothing so then I have no choice but to start with Carthage.

You'll want to confederate with the Masaesyli early game to stand a real chance against Carthage and her client states unless you hole up and wait for Rome and Syracuse to draw their attention.

Until you get your higher tier units, play your advantage with the skirmisher units; you should be able to outpace most of the Carthaginian/Libyan units and pelt them with javelins. Don't be afraid of losing your early melee units, they are fodder.