Thread: Creating Areas of Recruitment

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Default Creating Areas of Recruitment

***UPDATE***

Ok, so I get that a lot of people enjoy the Thrones of Britannia recruitment system - being able to recruit any of your own factions units, no matter where on the campaign map you are. Personally I'm not a fan and I would like to figure out how to bring back Areas of Recruitment and make certain regions good for certain kinds of units. My intention would be to keep the unit count in total low (as it is at the moment and to stop the game being made up of only 20+ army stacks), but I like the idea of adding to the variation of the game.

This is where I have got to so far, if you have any advice, suggestions or want to help out, please let me know. It doesn't seem like there is very much going on in these modding forums for ToB so any help would be appreciated.

So all the units in ToB are mercenaries, that seems to be how the system works.

So Step 1: Add a different mercenary pool that will be restricted to specific provinces (picture below). I added "circenn" and "monadh", the regions in the north east of Scotland as examples.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Merc_Pools.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	359597

Step 2: Attach those recruitment pools to their provinces. I added the Circenn province and the Monadh province to their pools in the province_to_mercenary_set_junctions.

Name:	province to merc set.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	359598

Step 3: So now the pools exist, time to add some units to them. So in mercenary_pool_to_group_junctions I change the mercenary pool for the Levy Spearmen and Cateran Levy from the general "Scottish" pool, to their new provinces pools.

Name:	mer pool groups.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	359599

Step 4: Lastly to add these unit pools to the Circenn faction. This was done in the faction_to_mercenary_set_junctions.

Name:	faction merc sets.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	359600

So once I export the tables, and then process everything through BOB with a new startpos we get some complicated results.

Name:	AOR1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	488.2 KB 
ID:	359601

So here the spearmen are appearing correctly in the Monadh province, but so are the original spearmen - and they shouldn't be there.

Name:	AOR2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	462.1 KB 
ID:	359602

And here the Cataran Levy are appearing in Circenn, but again the original units are there, including the Levy Spearmen which shouldn't be available in this province. When you hover over the white mark in the corner of the unit card it comes up with "Provincial Mercenaries"

The game is recognising these units in each province as "Provincial Mercenaries" which is good. There is a ui problem with a white box in the top corner of the unit card (so if anyone knows why that is or how to fix it, I'd appreciate it).

But more annoyingly, the game is still reading the original units and making them available to the faction, despite the fact that I changed these unit pools to the regional ones.

Just in case someone suggests this:
    1. I have tried making entirely new units to see if that works, it didn't.
    2. I have tried using region_unit_resources like with Attila, and that didn't get me anywhere.

Any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Malcolm; September 25, 2019 at 08:57 AM.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default Re: Creating Areas of Recruitment

Have you tried Dresden's Creating & Editing Unit Recruitment tutorial?

Maybe using RPFM could do that.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Creating Areas of Recruitment

**Check updated post at the start of the thread**
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic1.jpg   pic2.jpg  
    Last edited by Malcolm; September 25, 2019 at 08:58 AM.