Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum 1.33 Sneak Preview

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum 1.33 Sneak Preview

Reborn of the RTW legend!

Thanks for this first preview, itīs a great suprise I really like new siege engines and the units - amazing work The new Seleukid elite Thorakitai looks more historical and itīs great to see totally new units (Cretan Peltasts, Augustan Marines).

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    Reborn of the RTW legend!

Thanks for this first preview, itīs a great suprise I really like new siege engines and the units - amazing work The new Seleukid elite Thorakitai looks more historical and itīs great to see totally new units (Cretan Peltasts, Augustan Marines).
    Exactly! We are almost ready. We have opted for the ALX.exe engine because it allows more models and has superior AI.

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice1987 View Post
    Will there be new campaigns in the future? Bogida considered bringing the start date forward to the war between marius and Sulla. What happened to the idea?

I still think it's great that you are still developing this old game ( Mod ) further.
    This is EBNOM. Actually we have almost all the units but some are to created since the mod goes all the way to 180 AD, but we have some disagreements regarding the exact starting date and the starting factions. So there is a lot of work to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Katakalon View Post
    Segmentata is archaeologically attested already from the reign of Augustus and it has been found as late as 1994, in the Kalkriese region, that is in the original place of the Varusschlacht, thus the pieces are dated exactly in the year 9 AD. Other similar segmentata pieces were found in other places in former Germania and they are dated securely in 9 B.C. Regarding the earlier artisting appearence of segmentata, it dates from the reliefs of the Arch of Augustus at the place called Susa, in Piedmont. The arch is dated in 14 B.C. and and the depiction of Roman soldiers wearing segmentata is the earliest attested depiction of this kind of armour.
    Oh I was asking if you knew why it was used, and how far spread its use was. I was thinking it was probably only used by early praetorians due to the expense of producing it but obviously that is just speculation on my part. What I have no hints about, though, is why it was invented in the first place. Typically military innovations are brought about by necessity though that is not always the case. So I was wondering what (if anything) caused this invention.

Tl;dr: Was its use widespread and why was it invented?

I'm only curious, I don't mind segmentata being in EB (though aesthetically I prefer the lorica hamata that Caesar's Legions would have worn).

Dear EB team,

First let me thank you for you carrying the work on RTW-EB. EB and EB-II on M2TW-K are the mods I played most, for probably more than 15 years now! I always come back to them, even if other mods are also very much enjoyable.

If I may, as a positive criticism, I have encountered something that never happened to me with EB up to 1.2: a multiplication of stacks. I feel that there must be some change (maybe with ALX) that impacts either the economy or the priorities of computer played factions.

I am most interested in playing the campaign, although of course I love to play the battles myself. I am a slow, rather historically inclined player, so this kind of event is surprising to me, even more so because in didn’t happen in any former version of EB.

As a very friendly offer, if you need a test player of my type (the long and slow builder), I’d be honoured to help! Please let me know, taking into account that I am out for holidays for two weeks.

Best regards,

FFJean

Multiplication of stacks? What's that?

Sorry for my English, I mean a very, too large number of stacks, something that never happened with EB1 to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JowyJowyWoop View Post
    Oh I was asking if you knew why it was used, and how far spread its use was. I was thinking it was probably only used by early praetorians due to the expense of producing it but obviously that is just speculation on my part. What I have no hints about, though, is why it was invented in the first place. Typically military innovations are brought about by necessity though that is not always the case. So I was wondering what (if anything) caused this invention.

Tl;dr: Was its use widespread and why was it invented?

I'm only curious, I don't mind segmentata being in EB (though aesthetically I prefer the lorica hamata that Caesar's Legions would have worn).
    There is a great deal of uncertainity in research which units wore it and why? Recently, was discovered that it was worn by units till the time of Constantine. There are suggestions that there were also leather variants of segmentata. It is certain that can sustain more easily direct blows than chainmail, but why it was invented adnd whether only certain units used it, is a matter of great dispute as far as I know.

icenii's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by FFJean View Post
    Sorry for my English, I mean a very, too large number of stacks, something that never happened with EB1 to me.
    @FFJean it's not a problem but it's usually referred to as Stack Spam for future reference, sometimes it does happen as the AI gets money scripts and sometimes builds lots of armies instead of upgrading settlements And building armies, can be hard too get right balance for AI.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii " In the game of Life Death always wins. Patience is a Virtue that takes time to acquire. The Answer is "7". No 1 wins all the time except God and he cheats.

Thank you icenii!

This Ŧ stack spam ŧ happened to me in 1.32, and never in any previous EB built.
    So it must be the side effect of some new script. For me, in my way of playing, slow and building an empire, not too many battles, but decisive ones, it is very much of a game breaker. Again, if there is any interest to get experienced beta testers, including my type of player, don’t hesitate.
    Maybe an easy way would be to have such script as optional, depending on the play style.

Best regards to all, and many thanks to the 1.33 team to keep EB1 alive!

FFJean

icenii's Avatar Civis

@FF Jean were they Rebel Stacks ? Rebels will multiply if left a lone and they have some scripted elite stacks on the map especially in the Alps and Baltic regions.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii " In the game of Life Death always wins. Patience is a Virtue that takes time to acquire. The Answer is "7". No 1 wins all the time except God and he cheats.

Dear icenii,

No, these stacks were stacks belonging to some different factions and no to rebels, those stacks located around (sorry, I don’t remember exactly the name of the city in EB1) Antioche.
    I am used to the stack spams belonging to rebels in the Alps and Baltic regions, as I played for more than 15 years EB1. And they do appear very historical, this being a good way to limit expansion of factions through the Alps and Balt regions. But I am not used to see stack spams with stacks owned by factions, all gathering towards the North West Middle East.

I would be more than happy, when I will be back home in 10 days, i.e. beginning of week after next, to test a campaign, if needed.

Best regards,

FFJean

And sorry to add that this is because they are stacks belonging to factions that I believe they must be linked to a new or evolved money script.

Dang, well thank you.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Impressive modding work!

Playing EB in 2019. Awesome! I just reinstalled the game again and was going to play (again) one "last" campaign hoping to finally get a Roman Emperor. But maybe I will wait. I really liked 1.3 but it had all those random crashes when clicking on faction leader. Looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Katakalon View Post
    Exactly! We are almost ready. We have opted for the ALX.exe engine because it allows more models and has superior AI.
    Clever!

Amazing work! I am now considering starting a new EB campaign :-) Do you have a list of the new units being added with the 1.32 / 1.33 version of the mod? Thanks

You guys are amazing!!

Looks good! Keep going.

Also I have a question about Roman Imperial legionary cavalry - they are missing in the old EB I version. Here is a reconstruction of Eques legionis, 9 AD:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast