Thread: Empire Divided/Wrath of Sparta and Divide et Impera

Default Empire Divided/Wrath of Sparta and Divide et Impera

i am thinking about getting empire divided DLC i have made some research about the experience playing empire divided and DEI, and i found, that they are compatible but it is pretty obviusly that the campaign isn´t polished at the leven of the grand campaign or the imperator augustus DLC. But there is a long distance between being compatible, and being a very good experience, for that reason, i am searching for people experiences playing in this DLCS with DEI, so if you guys want to tell me, i will be gratefull. I want to know if the experience is good, and if it worth it.

Default Re: Empire Divided/Wrath of Sparta and Divide et Impera

Wrath of Sparta fully compatible - redone as macedonian wars campaign.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Plush_Salmon View Post
    Wrath of Sparta fully compatible - redone as macedonian wars campaign.
    Indeed and according to our users it's a very enjoyable experience

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Indeed and according to our users it's a very enjoyable experience
    ¿you are talking about wrath of sparta or macedonian wars? i have a great experience with ptolemaic empire and roma in the grand campaign, i would say: my best total war experience. But macedon wars have been very dissapointing.

Empire Divided uses vanilla rosters for the most part but otherwise functions properly.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by jonhgalt View Post
    ¿you are talking about wrath of sparta or macedonian wars? i have a great experience with ptolemaic empire and roma in the grand campaign, i would say: my best total war experience. But macedon wars have been very dissapointing.
    Macedonian Wars. There's no Wrath of Sparta in DEI

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Macedonian Wars. There's no Wrath of Sparta in DEI
    Can someone work on this?

There is the official submod to revert to the dlc Wrath of Sparta, but it does not work well. I will post a bug report after checking it out some more, but basically it's a mashup of DeI units/vanilla units, vanilla buildings with no text about maluses or bonuses (if there's no text does that mean they are missing effects completely or just missing text?), and other vanilla artifacts. It would be so great to see this earlier time period and Greek-focused section of the map given the DeI treatment. Very much enjoying Hellenika for the moment, but of course it's missing the great depth of DeI's innumerable features. It's hard to play anything else now -- I even need to redownload basic mods like camera mods which have just always been included in DeI!

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post

There is the official submod to revert to the dlc Wrath of Sparta, but it does not work well. I will post a bug report after checking it out some more, but basically it's a mashup of DeI units/vanilla units, vanilla buildings with no text about maluses or bonuses (if there's no text does that mean they are missing effects completely or just missing text?), and other vanilla artifacts. It would be so great to see this earlier time period and Greek-focused section of the map given the DeI treatment. Very much enjoying Hellenika for the moment, but of course it's missing the great depth of DeI's innumerable features. It's hard to play anything else now -- I even need to redownload basic mods like camera mods which have just always been included in DeI!
    The thing about the earlier period is combat was massively less complicated. I have no doubt DeI would do it justice, but the samey rosters would be far less interesting than the current set-up -- If you're trying to do an authentic Kleomenian restoration run, btw, the all factions submod plus Sparta in the Macedonian Wars is a very good experience.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

I'll check the aforementioned submod. But tbh I don't think we have the time for a ''proper'' Wrath of Sparta (at least for now). So many things are pending atm

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Empire Divided uses vanilla rosters for the most part but otherwise functions properly.
    Hi, first of all, great mod and thank you for that :-), I really like it but... sadly Empire Divided is only playable for me, not polished and no fun... why??? Mercenary units from Augustus Campaign and Townwatch from GC or so, spoil the game for me , sad but true... You should get rid of them, They do not fit the era, sometimes are much stronger than ED units - I mean mercenaries , it makes no fun, you`d better stay with all the vanilla units only, if you dont change the roster for now as I presume. Anyway playing DEI Augustus and Ceasar playthrough is great!!!:-))

Quote Originally Posted by Jackar17 View Post
    Hi, first of all, great mod and thank you for that :-), I really like it but... sadly Empire Divided is only playable for me, not polished and no fun... why??? Mercenary units from Augustus Campaign and Townwatch from GC or so, spoil the game for me , sad but true... You should get rid of them, They do not fit the era, sometimes are much stronger than ED units - I mean mercenaries , it makes no fun, you`d better stay with all the vanilla units only, if you dont change the roster for now as I presume. Anyway playing DEI Augustus and Ceasar playthrough is great!!!:-))
    Nah, no point to waste teams time. Better just not to play this campaign until after they redo it properly.
    It's worth the wait after all - playing Sasanids with all DEI mechanichs.
    Cheers to the team!

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochos VII Sidetes View Post
    The thing about the earlier period is combat was massively less complicated. I have no doubt DeI would do it justice, but the samey rosters would be far less interesting than the current set-up -- If you're trying to do an authentic Kleomenian restoration run, btw, the all factions submod plus Sparta in the Macedonian Wars is a very good experience.
    I agree Macedonian Wars is a very good experience. Setting that aside, it's not what I bought the DLC for. Totally wrong time frame, missing all the Hellenic flavor, and worse, Rome doesn't need to be in every bloody version of the game. On the rosters point, they don't need to be "samey" at all. It's a matter of vision and highlighting some things from history over others, while still being entirely historical. Random points: Some cities didn't particularly field hoplites, but lighter troops. Not all hoplites were the same either, anymore than units of Italic/Roman swordsmen were. Then you have Thracian influence in many spots, plus actual Thracians. Celts and Illyrians on the map too. Persians and the Ionian Greeks who fought differently.

Rhodes should be marines and slinger focused, even ekdromoi with limited sling ammo, totally different roster. Go through every faction this way.

For the mainland factions that will still have very much overlap in units, I'll add, Hellenika also has different historical hoplites for most cities -- Korinthoi, Theban, Ambrakia, etc -- some light, medium, and/or heavy hoplites. This is another layer of unit making that can be truly amazing for the game that's not possible in the grand campaign.

I'll check the aforementioned submod. But tbh I don't think we have the time for a ''proper'' Wrath of Sparta (at least for now). So many things are pending atm
    Yes, check it out. Once all the DeI features are there, all it really needs is unit overhauls. You guys can do it with your eyes closed and maybe give first born children to Hellenika to use a few units here and there.

Yes, check it out. Once all the DeI features are there, all it really needs is unit overhauls. You guys can do it with your eyes closed and maybe give first born children to Hellenika to use a few units here and there.
    Well, I have excellent relations with Hellenika guys and I'd love to see some of their units in our dedicated campaigns' roster, but that is up to Dresden

A Hellenikia submod would be amazing but it would be mostly up to others to implement at the moment and also would require that team's permission and involvement I imagine.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    A Hellenikia submod would be amazing but it would be mostly up to others to implement at the moment and also would require that team's permission and involvement I imagine.
    I guess we'll discuss it internally then

I guess we'll discuss it internally then
    i would make a statue to dei team if we get a hellenika submod

I agree Macedonian Wars is a very good experience. Setting that aside, it's not what I bought the DLC for. Totally wrong time frame, missing all the Hellenic flavor, and worse, Rome doesn't need to be in every bloody version of the game. On the rosters point, they don't need to be "samey" at all. It's a matter of vision and highlighting some things from history over others, while still being entirely historical. Random points: Some cities didn't particularly field hoplites, but lighter troops. Not all hoplites were the same either, anymore than units of Italic/Roman swordsmen were. Then you have Thracian influence in many spots, plus actual Thracians. Celts and Illyrians on the map too. Persians and the Ionian Greeks who fought differently.

Rhodes should be marines and slinger focused, even ekdromoi with limited sling ammo, totally different roster. Go through every faction this way.

For the mainland factions that will still have very much overlap in units, I'll add, Hellenika also has different historical hoplites for most cities -- Korinthoi, Theban, Ambrakia, etc -- some light, medium, and/or heavy hoplites. This is another layer of unit making that can be truly amazing for the game that's not possible in the grand campaign.

I have to agree here. I've been trying to play wrath of sparta, but couldn't figure out why, even though I own the DLC, I couldn't play the campaign, or what macidonian wars was about? Obviously I figured it out, and it's okay, but I really wanted that greek time frame and flavor too.

Played a number of enjoyable MPC's in the Macedonian Wars and I would choose it over the original Wrath of Sparta setting anyday. Original Wrath of Sparta is honestly really monotonic army and units wise and really does not make enough of a difference between factions you play.

I also did not really like the original vanilla campaign that much, persians just staying out most of the time and all focusing athens vs sparta showdown. In Macedonian Wars in addition to just hoplites you get pikes, sword and shield infantry, proper cavalry, archers etc. which is far more options what you can do when fighting wars.

And remember that DeI people do not have any obligation to make original Wrath of Sparta experience because CA released it as such DLC. I actually would prefer them to make the campaign settings a little bit different from the vanilla ones to make them more interesting if possible, like they did in Macedonian wars. (ED to later roman period? )