Thread: DEI Advisor Text Broken

Default DEI Advisor Text Broken

Hi all,

I am having trouble with the advisor text with DEI installed. I really want to read through the historical background on each city that DEI provides via the advisor (as well as learn from the advice about new DEI mechanics), but unfortunately the text boxes get all jumbled/cut short/or cut off entirely as I play. It's almost like the vanilla game advisor advice is conflicting with the DEI ones or something. At a certain point, if I click the arrows to go back and forth through the previous advice, all of the DEI related ones (longer historical data ones or shorter ones about new mechanics) get cut off completely.

I have tried reinstalling DEI from TWC and from Steam, using submods and not using them, and changing my game resolution and the UI scale and a variety of other graphics options, but I cannot get this fixed. I am on an Alienware 15 R3 laptop with base 1920x1080 resolution, Nvidia GTX 1070.

Any and all help with this would appreciated! I know it's sort of a small thing, but it really irks me.

Default Re: DEI Advisor Text Broken

If you mean the tutorial advisor text, it is not really meant to be used with DeI for the most part. We do have advisor texts that pop up when you click on historical cities, but they should display entirely and not have any scroll arrows.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Gotcha, thanks Dresden. I did in part mean the tutorial advisor; however, the city texts are not appearing in full (and they are the ones I am most interested in). If I disable the tutorial advisor, will the historical city texts still appear?

I ask about disabling the tutorial one only because I am wondering if somehow it is competing with the historical city texts.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 17, 2019 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

I honestly don't know, the city texts should happen once when you first click on a city. Perhaps its a resolution issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I honestly don't know, the city texts should happen once when you first click on a city. Perhaps its a resolution issue?
    Hm, wouldn’t that mean a different resolution setting would fix it? I have tried nearly every possible resolution setting both windowed mode and not windowed mode and the error persists...

Maybe posting a screenshot would be helpful, I have never heard of this problem so its hard to visualize. You can also try reverifying your game files and checking for conflicting mods in the data folder

Maybe posting a screenshot would be helpful, I have never heard of this problem so its hard to visualize. You can also try reverifying your game files and checking for conflicting mods in the data folder
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190715195253_1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	327.8 KB 
ID:	358905

Name:	20190715195432_1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	358904

Name:	20190715195452_1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	238.6 KB 
ID:	358906

That is really weird, I have no idea what would cause that sadly. Did you try checking for mod conflicts/reverifying your game files?

That is really weird, I have no idea what would cause that sadly. Did you try checking for mod conflicts/reverifying your game files?
    Ya, it’s pretty weird. I have checked for conflicts and twice reverified, but the issue persists..it seems, though, if I am careful with the tabs (I know this sounds ridiculous haha) and how I move through/open & close them, I am able to at least read the texts as they occur.

The same thing happened to you. The solution was to change from 1080 to 720 and return to 1080. Full text now.

Srry "mi inglish"

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nerendas View Post
    The same thing happened to you. The solution was to change from 1080 to 720 and return to 1080. Full text now.

Srry "mi inglish"
    Interesting. I'll take a note of it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nerendas View Post

Srry "mi inglish"
    Thank you for your input! So, you start the game with ingame resolution of 1920x1080, then change it to 1280x720 midgame, then turn it back to 1920x1080, and that solves the problem for you? I tried that, but unfortunately the issue persisted. Or did you follow a different step of steps?

No, I clicked in the city; text appears truncated. Then click on other city or army, agents or ground. Then, I change the resolution.
    Do you use Dei translated? I use it in Spanish maybe the problem is there.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Interesting. I'll take a note of it. Thanks
    Though Nerendas’ workaround did not work for me, I do happily have news to report about a workaround of my own: As long as I disable the vanilla advisor texts and therefore only have DEI stuff come through the advisor menu, the texts appear in intact form and can be scrolled back and forth between without issue! That said, if I go back too far to the initial vanilla start position text (which I do not know how to disable) the DEI city texts and hints get screwed up. I hope that can help somebody who encounters this now or in the future!

A more important note: This mod is amazing!!! I have been out of the TW circuit for a while, but thank goodness I came back in on such a high note!

Great to hear you figured out a solution! I think I have had vanilla advisors disabled so long I forgot to suggest that as a possibility.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Great to hear you figured out a solution! I think I have had vanilla advisors disabled so long I forgot to suggest that as a possibility.
    Same here

Thanks!! Ya I had it on because it’s been so long since I have really sat with one of these games, so I have no doubt I have forgotten some things.

Spleen999's Avatar Libertus

Hi, this isn't really related to this bug but regarding the City Texts that have been mentioned.. I know they appear once when first clicked, but is there a way to re-read them? I tried the in-game encyclopedia but I don't recall it working properly. I find them really interesting!

Thanks