Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 'CAPTAIN MARVEL' STAR LASHANA LYNCH SET TO INHERIT '007' FROM DANIEL CRAIG

Default Re: 'CAPTAIN MARVEL' STAR LASHANA LYNCH SET TO INHERIT '007' FROM DANIEL CRAIG

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    I don't care at all about the James Bond franchise, so don't mind what they do.
    However, Idris Elba would have been imo a very good choice, possibly making the new films popular, while a woman as the new 007 just makes next to zero sense.
    Anyway, can't be worse than BBC's Troy
    I expect they are aiming for something similar to Doctor Who, which is even more of a serial character, and play identity politics in order to please the rabid Twitter crowd and cash in on some demographics that they think they can reach (but probably won't). I think JB, as well as Doctor Who and Star Wars and other such franchises, should just be cancelled at this point. They'd been going on for too long even before this "muh wymyn, muh People of ColorTM" branch of identity politics appropriated them. Plus, Idris Elba is the same age as Daniel Craig, IIRC even a bit older.

Why not muster some creativity and create new characters (maybe even ones that are black women etc. to begin with, not some lame race/gender swap), or adapt some interesting books that haven't been done ten times before? Well I guess for that, they'd have to hire writers/directors based on merit and not on physical characteristics or ideological conformity.
    Can't you send in some scripts? I mean you're Orthodox, therefore "not white" by American logic, therefore eligible...

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: 'CAPTAIN MARVEL' STAR LASHANA LYNCH SET TO INHERIT '007' FROM DANIEL CRAIG

James Bond is a white male and any attempts by haters to change that will result in failure on the scale of black Achilles.

I am all for a good Bond-like movie with a black, asian or martian lead - personally I would prefer Idris Elba - but James Bond is a straight, white, male.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    I expect they are aiming for something similar to Doctor Who, which is even more of a serial character, and play identity politics in order to please the rabid Twitter crowd and cash in on some demographics that they think they can reach (but probably won't).
    Because that totally worked the last two times it was attempted. It's not like the studios behind women ghost busters and black Achilles are pretending those things never happened. Oh no no no. They've all been such hits with the public /s

I don't get it why these idiots cannot seem to realize that if you want a successful black James Bond you write one from the ground up like Kingsmen did with teenage Jasmes Bond, you don't color swap out of the blue.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; July 15, 2019 at 01:21 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Im saying James Bond is Male. Im saying the stereotypical British is white.
    We know when and where you lie.

I know my favorite stories come when writers and producers push the line as hard as they can. Even if only temporarily. We aren’t in the 60’s anymore.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    James Bond is a white male and any attempts by haters to change that will result in failure on the scale of black Achilles.

I am all for a good Bond-like movie with a black, asian or martian lead - personally I would prefer Idris Elba - but James Bond is a straight, white, male.

I 100% Agree. And that's why the producers won't change James Bond with a black woman. As I saw here a black woman will inherit the 007 code and position as James Bond retires. Remember all, 007 is a code, not tied to a specific person.

I am absolutely fine with the English Secret Services giving the code name to a black woman and it would be awesome if Daniel Craig (or, hey, Sean Connery) reprised the role of a retired James Bond as he gives his blessings and his trademark beretta to the new blood and wishes her well as he rides to the sunset and she rides to kill baddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    I know my favorite stories come when writers and producers push the line as hard as they can. Even if only temporarily. We aren’t in the 60’s anymore.
    I don't think you're in the majority though. I believe it's a niche to have your favorites stories being push-the-line as hard as they can.
    For example, a movie about a brave warrior, that is a good person, caring, a good, reliable friend, hardworking ... and sexually attracted to horses is pushing the line and I doubt it would be anyone's favorite story.
    Last edited by alhoon; July 15, 2019 at 02:42 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

I just wanna enjoy the cacophony of people screaming "REEEEEEEE WHITE GENOCIDE! REEEEEEEEE SJWS".
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    I don't think you're in the majority though. I believe it's a niche to have your favorites stories being push-the-line as hard as they can.
    For example, a movie about a brave warrior, that is a good person, caring, a good, reliable friend, hardworking ... and sexually attracted to horses is pushing the line and I doubt it would be anyone's favorite story.
    You’re getting purposely weird.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; July 18, 2019 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Unnecessary.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

I actually think that Idris Elba as a black James Bond would have worked and produced a couple of decent films. But like I said, I never cared about this franchise so I am not invested in it at all.
    Apparently they wish to make it a progression (ala Rocky-Creed or the new Karate Kid series), but I doubt it will work.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Indefinitely Banned

Wow. Did you just compare a fictional character to a historical person?

You got balls kid. You got balls.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Why would OO7's succesor be white? I've proven that the UK recruits spies regardless of race.
    This isn't about the multicultural policy of MI6, but rather the trend in filmmakers and film producers in virtue signaling their 'wokeness' by casting previously under employed black actresses for white western roles...as if to cover for racist antics the same filmmakers have made like casting white actresses for Asian roles eg Emma Stone.

007 could well be black or female, but in this context casting a black female actress as 007 threatens to give the entire franchise the 'Ghostbusters' treatment, and the entire practice by privileged filmmakers of giving out choice morsels of a key role here and there for black actresses does little to nothing to address the ingrained problem of racism in either american or british society.

Weird how there are no Latin American, East Asian, or Indian actors/actresses in Hollywood.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    Weird how there are no Latin American, East Asian, or Indian actors/actresses in Hollywood.
    Um...there are? And have been for a while? Although I get what you're saying, they don't get as much exposure, screen time, or leads as black Africans of various nationalities, mostly in the Anglophone world, mostly the US and the UK (I can't think of a single super popular black Canadian or black Australian actor/actress).

In either case, I have no problem with a black woman character inheriting the title of 007 should James Bond retire in this fictional universe, but it makes no sense to literally make her into James Bond...unless he was really transgender the entire time and suffering from the Michael Jackson style rare skin disease of vitiligo.

This hypothetical movie obviously won't be called "James Bond" either, but it might have 007 in the title, should it ever get produced and put on the big screen. Or it will probably follow all the other snappy titles for bond flicks along the conventions of "Goldfinger" and "Goldeneye" and "License to Kill" and "Tomorrow Never Dies". In that case James Bond the character becomes something historical and is replaced by some black British female agent for MI6.

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    This isn't about the multicultural policy of MI6, but rather the trend in filmmakers and film producers in virtue signaling their 'wokeness' by casting previously under employed black actresses for white western roles...as if to cover for racist antics the same filmmakers have made like casting white actresses for Asian roles eg Emma Stone.

007 could well be black or female, but in this context casting a black female actress as 007 threatens to give the entire franchise the 'Ghostbusters' treatment, and the entire practice by privileged filmmakers of giving out choice morsels of a key role here and there for black actresses does little to nothing to address the ingrained problem of racism in either american or british society.
    You are still so paranoid as to drag MLK into this because you think he's a legitimate point.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; July 18, 2019 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Gif.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

You are still so paranoid as to drag MLK into this because you think he's a legitimate point.
    That point only really makes sense if someone tried to do a snarky movie where they for some bizarre reason cast a black Nigerian dude to play Albert Einstein, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Frank Sinatra, or Elvis Presley.

Obviously a woman isn't going to be named "James", so it's clearly the 007 title that's being inherited, not some white British dude's identity. On another note, is James Bond supposed to be English? Bond is an English surname. Sean Connery is most clearly Scottish. I'm surprised no English nationalists have attacked him for that.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; July 18, 2019 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Continuity.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

The series has been a defined by its lead men since its inception. Placing a unrecognizable actress in the role will achieve nothing. What the more important news is who the real replacement will be after the series tanks with the new cast.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    The series has been a defined by its lead men since its inception. Placing a unrecognizable actress in the role will achieve nothing. What the more important news is who the real replacement will be after the series tanks with the new cast.
    Again, I have no problem with some movie having an agent with the code 007 who isn't James Bond (like a black lady for instance), but obviously the fictional character of James Bond himself should not be remade into some transgender woman, or for that matter something else that doesn't make sense, like a guy in a wheelchair. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Gaidin your logic seems flawed to me.

You make the argument that 007 can be anyone, the MI6 recruits. But that is . 007 always have been James Bond. James Bond cant or shouldn't be a black woman. That is just silly.

They are changing who 007 is, but at the end of the day , we all know it wont be 007, it wont be James Bond.

I would dare say, that in the same fashion, of Luke cage, i dont think you are able to change James Bond race easily either ( as much as i like Edris Elba) James Bond is a type character, with distinctive elements to it, stereotypical British, witty playboy, with a heart of gold. There is also stereotypical British elements to its character that are recognizable in every part of the world across generations. James Bond it never has been a Black character. Hate to say it, but stereotypical British, is a white Person. I dont see what is so wrong with that.

I suppose within a concept of creative freedom, you can change everything of course, and you can say the same for every fictional character that exists, including all those you listed, like Luke Cage, and Magneto, or Black Panther. ( yes you can change them, of course you can).

Of course deviations have the drawback to create something entirely different, that the original content becomes recognizable. To the point anyone in the audience can see it isn't 007 anymore, it is just a totally different character altogether.

Which on theory is fine, although usually it just ends up riding on the popularity of the original content. It is just marketing imo, and its a creative emptiness.
    Remember the Female Thor comic? yeah. Turns out it isn't female Thor. It was just Jane wielding the Hammer. See the difference? Different character. It isn't Thor at all.
    I think you will find that the logical position is the real life one, that MI5 and MI6 recruits humans, who tend to grow old and retire.

Of course any new film featuring a female 007 won't be Bond, it will be different spy series. But who says they are making one? I mean does new 007 actually survive the film ( according to Hollywood rules any black non-lead character must die unless it's Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman or Samuel Jackson) ?

I presume the plot will include the customary some rude boy bomb up the town sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    This is where face hits palm. Daniel Craig has the lead role. He is recognisible and male.
    Last edited by mongrel; July 16, 2019 at 02:45 AM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Indefinitely Banned

You are still so hilariously racistly paranoid as to drag MLK into this because you think he's a legitimate point.
    When you're done virtue signaling, perhaps you can explain to the rest of us how my objecting to the mis-casting of a black african female for the titular 007, is somehow "racist"?

Just because the powers that be in London have an Afro-fetish, doesn't mean that the UK is african, irrespective of Megan Markle or Cheddar Man.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; July 18, 2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Oversized pic removed from the Quote

When you're done virtue signaling, perhaps you can explain to the rest of us how my objecting to the mis-casting of a black african female for the titular 007, is somehow "racist"?

Just because the powers that be in London have an Afro-fetish, doesn't mean that the UK is african, irrespective of Megan Markle or Cheddar Man.
    Why would it be mis-casting? UK security services have black and or female personnel. Unless you can demostrate that current version of M is massive racist and would only appoint white men, contrary to UK law and Civil Service Code, your irrational moanings do indeed sound racist.

Interesting fact, in the original Casino Royale (David Niven), all agents male and female were temporarily designated the 007 number and renamed James Bond.
    Last edited by mongrel; July 16, 2019 at 06:45 AM.

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Indefinitely Banned

Why would it be mis-casting? UK security services have black and or female personnel. Unless you can demostrate that current version of M is massive racist and would only appoint white men, contrary to UK law and Civil Service Code, your irrational moanings do indeed sound racist.

Interesting fact, in the original Casino Royale (David Niven), all agents male and female were temporarily designated the 007 number and renamed James Bond.
    James Bond the Ian Fleming Character has always been 007 and vice versa, and as Ian Fleming described 007,he was anything but a black african woman.
    Sure, the filmmakers got away with having a blonde James Bond about 13 years ago, but that worked due to Daniel Craig's acting chops and charisma. I don't think any black actress has got what it takes to pull off 007, even if she fulfiled the afro-fetish of these same filmmakers and was an out and out lesbian as was Lashana Lynch's character in Captain Marvel.

I foresee that after this film flops, it may well take a decade before we get a worthy 'reboot', perhaps with a Chinese James Bond to cater to the Chinese market.

James Bond the Ian Fleming Character has always been 007 and vice versa, and as Ian Fleming described 007,he was anything but a black african woman.
    Sure, the filmmakers got away with having a blonde James Bond about 13 years ago, but that worked due to Daniel Craig's acting chops and charisma. I don't think any black actress has got what it takes to pull off 007, even if she fulfiled the afro-fetish of these same filmmakers and was an out and out lesbian as was Lashana Lynch's character in Captain Marvel.

I foresee that after this film flops, it may well take a decade before we get a worthy 'reboot', perhaps with a Chinese James Bond to cater to the Chinese market.
    But in this film Bond has retired and is recalled. Did Fleming write about that. Not aware that he did.

I know that austerity has been biting hard in the UK, but surely it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that Bond would be pensioned off and replaced one day. Bigger issue though, the 1960's type Bond is more or less dead, unless rendered into some parody like Austin Powers. Thats fine, we are not obliged to wear flares, kafkans and flares either.

I suspect the ranting isn't about Bond at all, it's just a cheap way to whine about a black woman taking (not even a lead ) role in a high profile movie. You said she was miscast without seeing her performance. Sounds like prejudice to me. Like similar whinging about black people in Star Wars, as if encountering black humans is somehow less likely in the far future than ewoks and wookies.
    Last edited by mongrel; July 16, 2019 at 10:16 AM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

This is where face hits palm. Daniel Craig has the lead role. He is recognisible and male.
    You do understand that this thread is about Daniel Craig being replaced as the series lead role, right?
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast