Thread: Roman starting economy

Default Roman starting economy

Why are the Roman empires in complete economic collapse at game start (in FoTE + EP, but not the submod)? It's rather unrealistic that they can't afford their starting infrastructure in 395.
    Last edited by Laser101; July 09, 2019 at 11:11 PM.

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Roman starting economy

It's historical. The WRE was bankrupt at this time. Disband your armies, build farms and industry. In two year time you can became to rebuild your armies. Became with Milites than build the comitatensis barracks auxilia palatina etc. Defend your settlements with the garrison. Big cities with walls and onagers are almost impossible to lose. Smaller cities have a small fort, defend it. You may lose a few settlements but you can rebuild take them later on.

What's annoyes me is the large number of rebelions. So far I lost only Hadrumentum to Germanic rebels and a city in Iberia to the Sweboz. Plus to cities in Pannonia on the upper Danube have been razed by the Iazyges and Alanna.

I am in the year 405 now and have 4 full armies with Milites comitatensis and auxilia palatina. Now I need to upgrade my Milites to pseudocomitatensis. As for cavalry use mainly mercs and disbanded them when not needed. Do not garrison any armies in cities except in winter. Your treasurury will go down as you need to feed them.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Melitensis View Post
    It's historical.
    It's historical and stating that WRE or any other faction starts with debit is simply not true. You have debit because you start with midlle level of taxes while ERE, WRE and Sassanids were known of high taxation (which was one of main factors provinces rebelled at the time). Just raising taxes is enough to remove debit. Noone is entitled to tell "Roman empires in complete economic collapse at game start".
    So wise raising taxes (as long as you can get some money without maximum taxes), disbanding too expensive units and structures gives enough money to invest in industry that quickly brings more money, so in 3-4 turns you will get benefit.

What's annoyes me is the large number of rebelions.
    In fact they were much more regular in history than game is able to produce. Working wise on economy and taxes (never keep constant highest level) + edicts and governors can relatively quickly bring peace.

Do not garrison any armies in cities except in winter.
    Never garrison field armies in cities unless you need them to defend city.

Cgma also it's very difficult to find a loyal general to Honorius. I have 4 plus Stilicho but the low support and influence of Honorius is annoying too.

Also is Flavius Constantius or Constantine III going to be spawned in the game to marry Galla Placida.

Cheers
    Last edited by Reno Melitensis; July 11, 2019 at 08:49 AM.

it's very difficult to find a loyal general to Honorius
    Win battles, grant offices, that is base for TW RTS system. If you think FotE or EP is vanilla style game then yeah, it may be annoying until you don't change point of view.

Also is Flavius Constantius or Constantine III going to be spawned in the game to marry Galla Placida.
    Only with FotE+EP Revised.
    Last edited by Cgma; July 13, 2019 at 04:45 PM.

Ok then I will be waiting for him.

Cheers

Just to ask you. As I was recruiting Comitatensis and milites and had not recruited all available units, I completed the tech to upgrade milites to pseudocomitatensis units and build new barracks that enable me to recruited more capable cavalry. But all Comitatensis and milites disappeared from the recrtuitment list.

Cheers.

Milites/Pseudocomitatenses are available via Limitanei barracks or limitanei camps, Comitatenses via Field barracks. But with latest patch for FotE+EP Revised you need equivalent submod for ERE/WRE additional units to get back full list of units.
    Last edited by Cgma; July 15, 2019 at 04:08 PM.

Thx for the info.

Cheers