Thread: Do you make use of all edicts?

Default Do you make use of all edicts?

I always felt like I always run the same edicts and all other ones are weak. Talking about Rome in particular but I think most factions have the same edicts or most of them (I haven't played DEI in a while and I never played some cultures). Back when I started playing DEI I only used Bread & Games all day long. It's so much stronger than the other ones, especially in the early game. Growth is key and keeping public order under control is vital. You can take the food hit because you end up building farms and fishing ports everywhere anyway (you know eventually you will need much food).

Then I also used Tax Harvesting in the mid and late game once a province is fully developed and under control. Party Loyalty I never used but I can understand its circunstantial use. I occasionally used Sell Slaves to get rid of the public order penalty in provinces where this was a problem.

Other than that I never ever used any other edict. Except my current Roma run, where I am running slave based economy so I use Sell Slaves to squeeze money out of them and Commercial Stimulation to stop the slave population decay.

But edicts like Import Food and Export Food I never saw a good reason to use. The Export Food penalties are too punishing for little gain since agricultural income is usually the weakest of all types. Import Food feels like a weaker Bread & Games. Romanisation could be helpful to boost cultural conversion but honestly the value is too low, not that it matters anyway because it "caps" at 15 per province and from that value ahead it's just a matter of patience rather than boosting it further.

Call to Arms is probably the weakest. 10% recruitment reduction for a massive loss of important resources like food and growth? Pass. Also the army replenishment bit is not meaningful because it is tied to population anyway. I would love to see this edict tied to the garrison building (unfortunately none of the yellow tree buildings improve edicts) if this building provided a serious garrison to begin with.

I am not trying to bash on edicts here. Of course I can see improvements but the point of this post is asking you guys how you make effective use of all edicts we have. Which ones do you like to run?

Default Re: Do you make use of all edicts?

Same as you basically.
    Bread and games early and tax harvesting later on. Sell slaves when they become an issue.

Commercial stimulation is way better than tax harvesting for a maxed economy province. Not only is the bonus larger - and commercial income should be the lion’s share - but there are more supplements to it from governors and generals. Additionally, it increases slave population (or helps prevent its decline) which is the single strongest boost to income. I only use tax harvesting early game (along with bread and games) before I’ve specialized my key provinces.

Thanks for the feedback, please keep posting any ideas or issues with edicts. I think the food ones specifically could use some balancing touches.

The slaves ones can be very powerful if an economy is built for that.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Perhaps cranking up the bonus you get in the import/export food edicts would be the way to go. Otherwise perhaps reworking them to boost the food and growth generated in the province, perhaps tied to fertility. I always thought fertility should be directly tied to the amount of food food buildings produce.

The Call to Arms and Romanization are particularly useless in my opinion. I would change them to something like in the DEI Realism submod:

- Call to Arms: I would buff up the recruitment cost reduction and the replenishment rate. I would add some public order penalty to simulate people being pissy from needing to go to war. And finally, the most important bonus, 2-3 extra recruitment capacity.

- Romanization/Cultural Development: I would buff up the cultural influence a bit, perhaps add a small influence (1-2) to adjacent provinces, some research rate. Then as an extra, something with building construction. Perhaps increased building cost but reduced turns required to build them. Or reduced tax rate but reduced cost and turns to build them.

Perhaps if the Romanization edict could increase the effectiveness of governors in that province it would be very cool, but I am not sure if that can be modded. In the same fashion Call to Arms could improve champions in the province. I think you could get some really nice and immersing synergy with this idea.
    Last edited by kpagcha; July 12, 2019 at 05:21 AM.

I mostly use the commercial edict if I have a lot of commercial income buildings, otherwise the tax income one, or + food export i I have an agricultural province with a large surplus.

Pretty much only the tax edict.

The commercial edict is almost never worth it... As in there are probably only 2-3 provinces where you can accumulate enough commercial income to be worth it, and even then you would get there only in the late game when money is not an issue.
    Think about this, you need 75% of a province income to be commercial vs everything else for this edict to be better than the tax one.
    The exception of course is if you are running a slave economy, then it has its use.

The public order edit's price (4 food) is too steep. In the early game when 4 po would make a difference I also rarely can afford the 4 food

The romanization edict is too weak. The ancillaries that give +2 conversion are a dime a dozen but I would need to forgo a tax edict for 3 conversion?

The recruiting edict and the import/export food are simply too weak. They have no impact

Oh, the loyalty edict can actually be useful in some campaigns but the annoying thing is that families occasionally change their province ownership so if you are targeting a specific family, you need to continuously check the province ownership and move the edict around
    Last edited by PietrolEremita; July 13, 2019 at 05:01 PM.

Slave economy is the only economy. And I only ever dedicate 2-3 income generating provinces. The rest are food and libraries or military. Also your numbers don’t account for the bonuses to commercial stimulation from generals and governors, neither of which exist for tax harvesting. So if you’re maxing your effort, you only need 30-50% of income to be commercial, which it always should be in an income focused province. Slaves population is on top of that, and the most powerful boost to income available.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus