Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Renaissance Total War 3.0 - Kingdoms and Steam compatible

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Renaissance Total War 3.0 - Kingdoms and Steam compatible

You're welcome - enjoy the mod.

Julio85's Avatar Biarchus

Hello,

I am trying again to get the mod but after the download my pc showa message that is blocked.

Any idea how to fix that?

Blog Entries

Two possibilities:

1. You're getting the 'Windows protected your PC' message from MS Defender SmartScreen - simply click on 'More Info' and then 'Run Anyway'
    2. Your AV is most likely flagging the BAT file needed to start the mod and therefore blocks the installation. Create an exception in your AV.

Dear Gigantus,
    The mod isn't starting. I have reinstalled M2TW from steam and then launched the Renaissance.exe following the path to the M2TW folder within steam. When I launch (there is a "R" shortcut on my desktop).
    Is there anything I did wrong, or I should check?
    Thank you in advance,
    FFJean

Blog Entries

Have you got an entry in Steam's custom launcher? If so - remove it --> right click M2TW in Steam's library and choose 'properties' and then remove any entry in the custom launch option field.

Now start the mod with the provided desktop shortcut - the 'R'
    Make sure you are online and that Steam is active (has started) otherwise set Steam to off line if you are not connected to the net.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 23, 2021 at 11:12 PM.

Dear Gigantus,
    First thank you, and Merry Xmas to you and your beloved ones.
    I will try tomorrow and report if I do not make it.
    Thank you again,
    FFJean

Thank you Gig,
    It works perfectly, as always with you advice! Surprisingly, a Tsardom entry was left in my Steam launcher, although I had reinstalled everything!
    Playing,
    FFJean
    PS: I wonder if a "more tpy" version would not play better?

Blog Entries

That's possible - if you want to try your hand at it that then here is the tutorial for it. Make backups of the files you are editing! Changes in the script will require a fresh campaign start.

Laetus

I've completed a long campaign as England in 3.0, but though it's generally far less crashy than 2.75, I'm getting one near-constantly repeating CTD in 3.0 which, iirc, hardly ever happened in 2.75. Namely, when taking ANY faction's last settlement at the first attempt (and at the majority of subsequent attempts too), the game CTDs when I choose any from the occupy/bangheads/ransack options. At first I thought it was maybe due to the faction taking part in a current crusade, then when it occurred outside of a crusade I guessed they had a son about to come of age. But I checked with spies and reloaded saves without taking the settlement etc, and apparently that's not it either. It's happened against any faction I kill off - the French, Portuguese, Danes, Teutonic Order, Russians, Moors, et al...

My only working solution is to keep the last settlement surrounded and diminished with sabotage & spies, and every turn or two try again, CTD, reload and wait a turn or two, then try again, rinse and repeat... until eventually some attempt goes through ok without the CTD. I'm not seeing anything obvious in the error trace. But given it's been so pervasive in 3.0 and was a rarity in 2.75, I have to ask - before publishing 3.0 did you play a complete long campaign and not get this problem at all?

In the log, when this occurs I always see some "data transgression" - sounds ominous but not sure if it's the cause. Anyway, here's the last segment of log which may be relevant - this particular CTD was when taking the Moors' last settlement:

---------------------------
    13:57:35.155 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/prebattle_siege_assault.tga,217308
    13:57:35.155 [system.io] [info] open: found data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/prebattle_siege_assault.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:35.155 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/prebattle_siege_assault.tga,217308
    13:57:35.155 [system.io] [info] open: found data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/prebattle_siege_assault.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:35.156 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/ui/captain banners/captain_card_england.tga,11132
    13:57:35.156 [system.io] [info] open: found data/ui/captain banners/captain_card_england.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:35.156 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/renaissance/data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/young/generals/180.tga,26540
    13:57:35.156 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/renaissance/data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/young/generals/180.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:35.157 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/renaissance/data/ui/southern_european/portraits/portraits/young/generals/167.tga,26326
    13:57:35.157 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/renaissance/data/ui/southern_european/portraits/portraits/young/generals/167.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:35.157 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/ui/captain banners/captain_card_moors.tga,11132
    13:57:35.158 [system.io] [info] open: found data/ui/captain banners/captain_card_moors.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:35.158 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0588_Unexplored_Advisor_Request_Help_Trigger> fired
    13:57:35.158 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0055_UI_Panel_Battle_Deployment_Army_Trigger> fired
    13:57:36.393 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/renaissance/data/globallighting/sunset_storm_bloom.lighting
    13:57:36.393 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/globallighting/sunset_storm_bloom.lighting,185
    13:57:36.393 [system.io] [info] open: found data/globallighting/sunset_storm_bloom.lighting (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:36.393 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/renaissance/data/globallighting/env_maps/environment_sunset_storm.texture
    13:57:36.393 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/renaissance/data/globallighting/env_maps/environment_sunset_storm.texture
    13:57:36.394 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/renaissance/data/globallighting/sunset_storm_bloom.lighting
    13:57:36.394 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/globallighting/sunset_storm_bloom.lighting,185
    13:57:36.394 [system.io] [info] open: found data/globallighting/sunset_storm_bloom.lighting (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:36.394 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/renaissance/data/globallighting/env_maps/environment_sunset_storm.texture
    13:57:36.394 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/renaissance/data/globallighting/env_maps/environment_sunset_storm.texture
    13:57:36.394 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/renaissance/data/globallighting/sunset_storm_bloom.lighting
    13:57:36.395 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/globallighting/sunset_storm_bloom.lighting,185
    13:57:36.395 [system.io] [info] open: found data/globallighting/sunset_storm_bloom.lighting (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:36.395 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/renaissance/data/globallighting/env_maps/environment_sunset_storm.texture
    13:57:36.395 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/renaissance/data/globallighting/env_maps/environment_sunset_storm.texture
    13:57:36.395 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0072_T_Undeclared_Attack> fired
    13:57:36.396 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_UNDECLARED_ATTACK from transgressor faction 14F4666E against faction 14F48F5A
    13:57:36.474 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0058_UI_Scroll_Battle_Results_Trigger> fired
    13:57:36.474 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0588_Unexplored_Advisor_Request_Help_Trigger> fired
    13:57:37.929 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <V0090_Standard_Battle_Any_Victory_VnV_Trigger> fired
    13:57:37.929 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Battle_Siege_Attacker_Won> fired
    13:57:37.929 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <Battle_General_Took_Hits> fired
    13:57:37.929 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <battle5> fired
    13:57:37.935 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/renaissance/data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/dead/180.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:37.935 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/renaissance/data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/dead/180.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:37.936 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/renaissance/data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/dead/180.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:37.936 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/renaissance/data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/dead/180.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:37.964 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <factionleader> fired
    13:57:37.964 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <factionleader_poor_fighter> fired
    13:57:37.964 [game.script.anc] [trace] Ancillary <armour_ornate> not added - chance 75, random 84
    13:57:37.964 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <inherited> fired
    13:57:37.964 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <becomesheir> fired
    13:57:37.965 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/renaissance/data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/dead/180.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:37.965 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/renaissance/data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/dead/180.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:37.966 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/renaissance/data/ui/middle_eastern/portraits/portraits/dead/180.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:38.066 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0052_T_Invaded_Settlement> fired
    13:57:38.066 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_INVADED_SETTLEMENT from transgressor faction 14F4666E against faction 14F48F5A
    13:57:38.233 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/renaissance/data/ui/generic/eventpics/settlement_taken.tga
    13:57:38.233 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/renaissance/data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/settlement_taken.tga
    13:57:38.233 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/settlement_taken.tga.dds
    13:57:38.233 [system.io] [info] exists: found data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/settlement_taken.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:38.233 [system.io] [trace] file open,,247A7CF0,217282
    13:57:38.234 [system.io] [info] open: found data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/settlement_taken.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:38.234 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/settlement_taken.tga,217282
    13:57:38.234 [system.io] [info] open: found data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/settlement_taken.tga (from: C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    13:57:38.234 [system.io] [trace] file open,,data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/settlement_taken.tga,217282
    13:57:38.237 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0062_UI_Panel_Captured_Settlement_Trigger> fired
    13:57:38.237 [game.script.trigger] [trace] Trigger <0588_Unexplored_Advisor_Request_Help_Trigger> fired
    13:57:41.285 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/renaissance/data/ui/generic/bribed_portrait.tga
    13:57:41.308 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/england_lose.bik]Pause on
    13:57:41.308 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/england_lose.bik]Pause on
    13:57:41.587 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    ---------------------------

And for example, when trying to finish off the Russians, the data transgression line read:
    12:18:33.231 [data.transgression] [info] Applied transgression TC_UNDECLARED_ATTACK from transgressor faction 14F7666E against faction 14F799C0

Those were the only two I've run traces on.

I also found a battlemap error in 3.0 - don't know the name of it but it's the ford in the valley to the west of Genoa. The water is all messed up at the ford (and missing entirely from part of the upriver area), and the pathfinding is screwed up too. Again, I played 2.75 through several campaigns and never saw this problem.

Laetus

PS: Thanks to anyone who knows what's going wrong and can solve - I'm not usually on the forum very often, so you may need to PM me. Meanwhile this is just a heads-up to any others using this mod. Cheers.

Laetus

Update - the only thing I've found is from similar-ish errors reported with other mods, namely in the campaign_db.xml is the line:

<bribe_to_family_tree bool="true"/>

In some other mods' CTDs I've read up on that occur specifically when finishing off a faction, this setting can cause a fatal crash. Apparently the fix is to change it from true to false. I say apparently because the change requires a new campaign to be started. And I don't know if I can be arsed to start another campaign right now. Hope this helps others.

Update 2 - 2nd July 2022 - so I started another campaign - a short one - at least through the first three faction kill-offs (Scots, French, Danes) at least two of which, iirc, gave me trouble last time, and they each went smoothly this time.
    Last edited by streety; July 01, 2022 at 07:10 PM. Reason: updated info

Laetus

Have since played another campaign and my aforementioned CTD problem indeed seems gone, so that fix I found works.

Note a few map problems - in addtion to the valley route I previously mentioned west of Genoa, there's another west of Gratz (the inland route from there to north of Venice). Basically on at least one of the battlemaps in that long valley the valley floor has an almost sheer, huge, cliff-like drop stretching right across the width of the battlefield, between me and my opponent so we couldn't meet to fight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by streety View Post
    Basically on at least one of the battlemaps in that long valley the valley floor has an almost sheer, huge, cliff-like drop stretching right across the width of the battlefield, between me and my opponent so we couldn't meet to fight.
    That's most likely one lonely pixel on the huge map_heights graphics that has a value that is extremely different from the surrounding ones. If you have some experience with graphics you might want to give it a shot yourself:
    1. Make a backup copy of the file
    2. Find the pixel and replace it with a lower RGB value (all three values have to be the same)
    3. Save
    4. Delete the map.rwm file
    5. Start the mod to generate a new map.

Hey! I decided to play with Temurids . Handgunners and archers have no range, They need to stand next to enemy in order to fire. This makes no sense for range units. Is this problem with every faction or just with Temurid. Let me know pls.

Laetus

Gigantus, I have no ability nor understanding of what you speak about editing maps. I just returned to list another problem, the battlemap outside Gao CTDs. Log seems to say a whole bunch of battlefield moor faction, summer semi-arid dirt micro and macro textures are missing.

This is just the latest of a number of occasional but annoying issues. I found a couple more like those I previously reported but stopped noting where. And another problem seen in a few maps are shadow glitches - where the shading, instead of solid, occasionally has odd looking hatching lines or maybe stretched triangles/lines.

I appreciate you put effort into this but frankly I'm a bit exasperated with these map errors because I painstakingly converted my edited copy of Renaissance onto this to take advantage of Kingdoms stuff, and subsequently painstakingly grew it from there, and now I'm going to have to painstakingly unpick it all because of this map so that I can go back to 2.75.

There's been some other new siege issues too but I can't 101% swear those are related to Kingdoms or your 3.0 redo. Units not reacting to run-speed movement orders when on walls, artillerymen returning to their guns no matter what I command, etc, things I don't recall seeing before (or as much of). I'd have to unpick back to 2.75 to be sure whether or not Kingdoms/3.0 was to blame for some of what I've seen. If anyone fixes anything please PM me.
    Last edited by streety; January 08, 2023 at 12:30 PM.

Blog Entries

You may misunderstand what 'rework' I did. I simply adapted the mod to use the kingdoms executable file which meant introducing updated files like descr_walls and data\text\building_battles for the re-enabled boiling oil and some other, relatively minor, edits. And then I wrapped it into an easy to use installer.

At no time did I touch any of the files in the maps\base or imperial_campaign directory (apart from updated faction maps for the faction selection screen). And I certainly did not do any edit that would effect the behavior you are describing.

Units moving on walls has always been an issue, I do recall that they will not run 'in bulk' but rather first spread out before actually running. Never had siege personnel return to their weapon once they abandoned it after a direct melee attack or when rallying, always had to command them to do so.

As to 'missing' messages in the log - the files are missing from the mod (or are different, secondary formats like tga.dds) and will get retrieved from the pack files. When that turns into [error] then it may indicate some serious issue.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123