Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod 5.0 - Steam compatible

Default Re: Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod 5.0 - Steam compatible

Quote Originally Posted by Delphor View Post
    Yeah, I was talking about your bug. I just played a campaign and set the timurid invasion to happen imminently, and encountered no crashes, so hopefully my updated fixed it? I doubt the update will be save game compatible though.
    Ah, yeah I suppose there are plenty of things that could go wrong trying to play my save on your update. I will try it whenever it's ready, though. In the meantime I'll fiddle around a bit more.

The thing that bugs me is I removed every mention of the timurids from campaign_script and descr_events and the log still showed it pulling timurids_invasion_warn.tga from one of the pack files then crashing. And it was definitely a new log - the timestamps were new. I have almost no modding experience and have only used one or two - is there something I'm missing here? Something like a compile step, that means the changes I make to those text files actually end up applying to the game? Or is there another file somewhere also handling part of the timurid invasion?

Thanks,
    Ben

Yeah I give up on my bug for now. I've tried fresh installing the base game and using other configurations of KGCM (5.0, 5.0.002, optional patch on top, 5.1, with and without RG's recruitment fix) and mostly (and not unexpectedly) they aren't compatible with my save, and when they are, they always give me the same error on the timurid invasion warning event. What really gets me is that I can delete that event from campaign_script, I can modify the counter, I can move it around, whatever, and it still gives the same error log, referring to the same lines in the script, even when there's nothing on those lines for it to be seeing (and they are new logs each time - I can tell by the timestamps). It's as if it's reading a cached version of campaign_script that's completely immune to my meddling. If anyone has any experience with that and can offer me advice, then I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm just going to wait for Delphor's new version, and hope it's save-game compatible and somehow fixes the bug if so. Shame.

Yeah, I don't think editing campaign script, descr_strat, or even the map affects a game already in progress, though I could be wrong. We shall see when I release the update though.

Not sure if tios will work in the grand campaign (my PC died a about 10 days ago so can't quickly check. New machine should be here by the weekend or just after.)

The EDB can have a religion option so that certain units can only be recruited if the religion % is above (or below) a certain level.

This from the Brittania DLC mod : r
    Code:
    ecruit_pool "Billmen Mercs"  1   0.2   2  0  requires factions { Ireland, }  and region_religion catholic 20
    what this does is to limit the Irish faction to only recruit Bllmen Mercs if the religion catholic (which is for the English factions) is 20 or more. Once it drops below 20 Ireland can't recruit Billmen Mercs in a particular settlement.

You can work it the other way, so that, for example, if you want to make it difficult for Jerusalem and Antioch, you can put a religion value of say catholic 60 for their own units in the EDB
    which means they have to convert the religion in a region to above 60% before they can recruit that unit in the specific settlement.

I think that's an interesting idea and am already doing it for the teutonics, but i'm not sure how much I wanna do it in the grand campaign since those factions already have weaker rosters, especially late game. I'm not sure why they're crushing the turks and egyptians, though the problem seems a bit less(?) now that I've finished all my changes.

I will probably upload the version of the mod that I have soon. It has all the aforementioned fixes/changes so it should be good, but I can of course make additional fixes as needed.

One last thing before I post it, does anyone know if I can use the city models from Stainless Steel's strategy map? I've seen a few other mods do this and think it would be great.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I do think those models are from agart: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?216053

Edit: Please scroll down for the newest download link (it actually works this time).
    Last edited by Delphor; April 07, 2023 at 12:31 AM.

Congrats on your release! I just started a Portugal campaign. I like what you've done with the unit changes: more abilities, stronger guns, etc.

I captured a wooden castle, but I could not take it by occupying the town square (no enemy units were on it). The capture timer just never showed up. Instead I had to kill/route all the defenders. Not sure if this is a feature or a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchful48 View Post
    Congrats on your release! I just started a Portugal campaign. I like what you've done with the unit changes: more abilities, stronger guns, etc.

I captured a wooden castle, but I could not take it by occupying the town square (no enemy units were on it). The capture timer just never showed up. Instead I had to kill/route all the defenders. Not sure if this is a feature or a bug.
    I think--and seem to remember--it's a feature. Same experience fighting a Denmark campaign, in both a wooden castle and a city...

Playing the latest version of the Delphor mod as Englan in the 1180 start.

AI plays a reasonable game so far.

That said I destroyed Wales fairly quickly and Scotland after a long struggle.

Ireland was strangely very quiet - I think they got excommed very quickly and after that just sat there, apart from the occasional attempt to capture Castle Town.

(Could we make the Castle Town rebels Norse rebels - it was under Norwegian rule (sort of) in the middle medieval period.)

And then I had a CTD

Code:
    01:38:53.179 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <add_events> at line 835 in mods/KGCM/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/Grand_Campaign_Mongol_Invasion/campaign_script.txt
    01:38:53.179 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 839 in mods/KGCM/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/Grand_Campaign_Mongol_Invasion/campaign_script.txt
    01:38:53.180 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/KGCM/data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/mongols_invasion_warn.tga
    01:38:53.180 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/mongols_invasion_warn.tga.dds
    01:38:53.180 [system.io] [info] exists:   found data/ui/northern_european/eventpics/mongols_invasion_warn.tga (from: packs/data_2.pack)
    01:38:53.191 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/england_lose.bik]Pause on
    01:38:53.191 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/england_lose.bik]Pause on
    01:38:53.312 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    I'm the LAA versions of the .exe but had been playing for about 3- 4 hours so it's possible I simply ran out of memory.

The system log picks up a few errors. which you'll probably spot if you check it.

Ig we can make Castle Town rebels norse rebels lol.

I have an easy time killing Wales as England, but tbh I think that's england just owning a ton of territory at the start.

I checked irelands AI, and it seems to be normal, so idk what the issue could be. When I play as england they attack my towns pretty quick? But generally don't invade people after their initial wins so maybe I should disable naval invasions as the preference for them (since currently they to prefer naval invasions).

As for your ctd, idk why that happened? I've never had an issue with the Mongol invasion, especially since the image is in the data packs, but just in case, I found the original mongol_invasion_warn.tga and put it in the specified ui folder.

I do not have the LAA versions of the .exe and probably should, but I haven't had any crashes yet on my end, so am still confused why there was one on yours.

Where can I check the system log?

As for the Wooden Castle thing, I'm not sure how to change it even if it is a bug tbh.

I'll start compiling these fixes for a faster re-release this time.

@Delphior

The log is in the M2TW folder in the logs folder. (I've not changed the config file so should be there on your system.)

I'll continue my campaign from the last save and see if the same crash happens.

Year 1208 - continued from last saved game and CTD after passing through the various factions after my turn ended .

I'll try a different faction to play.

Changing Ireland to not preferring naval invasions is the smart move.They have to defeat England first not start looking elsewhere.

-----------------------------------
    Tried as Spain.

All going OK until

Code:
    00:47:36.128 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <add_events> at line 835 in mods/KGCM/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/Grand_Campaign_Mongol_Invasion/campaign_script.txt
    00:47:36.128 [game.script.exec] [trace] exec <if> at line 839 in mods/KGCM/data/world/maps/campaign/custom/Grand_Campaign_Mongol_Invasion/campaign_script.txt
    00:47:36.128 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/KGCM/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/mongols_invasion_warn.tga
    00:47:36.128 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/mongols_invasion_warn.tga.dds
    00:47:36.128 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/mongols_invasion_warn.tga
    00:47:36.128 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/KGCM/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/mongols_invasion_warn.tga.dds
    00:47:36.128 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/KGCM/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/mongols_invasion_warn.tga
    00:47:36.129 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/mongols_invasion_warn.tga.dds
    00:47:36.129 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/mongols_invasion_warn.tga
    00:47:36.129 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/KGCM/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/mongols_invasion_warn.tga.dds
    00:47:36.129 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/KGCM/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/mongols_invasion_warn.tga
    00:47:36.129 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/KGCM/data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/historic_event.tga
    00:47:36.129 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/historic_event.tga.dds
    00:47:36.129 [system.io] [info] exists:   found data/ui/southern_european/eventpics/historic_event.tga (from: packs/data_3.pack)
    00:47:36.140 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/spain_win.bik]Pause on
    00:47:36.140 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/spain_win.bik]Pause on
    00:47:36.229 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Last edited by Used2BRoz; April 04, 2023 at 06:54 PM.

It seems to have something to do with the mongol invasion script events again? Since the game is finding the event in the data packs, do you know why it's still crashing to desktop?

Also, I still don't have any logs in my logs folder, which I find very odd.

Is there a way to upload your save file somehow for me to replicate it myself?
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; April 04, 2023 at 11:49 PM. Reason: posts merged

Not sure a save game will make much difference, the last one I have is from the turn when the game crashes.
    (The game crashes after the rebel turn.and judging by the log file it is at the start of the player turn - I was playing as Spain.
    Note : the Mongol invasion information was not displayed.)

Long time since I did much modding, although I do recall the Mongol Invasion being a PITA sometimes.

I had a quick look at the descr_sm_factions file to see if there were any obvious problems affecting the Mongols but didn't spot anything.
    I did notice some faction s had "can_sap" which is rather pointless as no faction can sap in M2TW. It's a relic of RTW and the M2TW engine presumably ignored it.

A couple of the prefers sea invasions seem a bit odd.
    Giving that to the Aztecs makes no sense as they can't build ships.
    And the Welsh need to concentrate on land not the sea for their invasions.

You might want to check all the Mongol units in the campaign script are in the EDU.
    --------------------------------------------
    Some errors in the log file :

Code:
    19:19:32.939 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/KGCM/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 117, column 1
    Could not find battle model for mount 'Mount_Adv_English_Armoured_Horse'.
    19:19:32.939 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/KGCM/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 177, column 1
    Could not find battle model for mount 'Mount_Adv_English_Barded_Horse'.
    19:19:32.939 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/KGCM/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 192, column 1
    Could not find battle model for mount 'Mount_Adv_French_Barded_Horse'.
    19:19:32.939 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/KGCM/data/descr_mount.txt, at line 287, column 1
    Could not find battle model for mount 'Mount_AdV_French_Heavy_Horse'.
    Code:
    19:19:33.427 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/KGCM/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1176, column 129
    unit(ME Spear Militia) does not match up to the ownership for faction(egypt)
    19:19:33.432 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/KGCM/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1212, column 129
    19:19:33.436 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/KGCM/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1263, column 129
    19:19:33.441 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/KGCM/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1331, column 129
    19:19:33.446 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/KGCM/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1410, column 129
    19:19:33.452 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/KGCM/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1499, column 129
    Code:
    19:19:34.698 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Aztecs, village -> motte_and_bailey, core_building[0](wooden_pallisade) -> core_castle_building[1](wooden_castle)
    19:19:34.698 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Aztecs, town -> wooden_castle, core_building[0](wooden_pallisade) -> core_castle_building[1](wooden_castle)
    19:19:34.698 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Aztecs, town -> wooden_castle, hinterland_roads[0](roads) -> hinterland_castle_roads[0](c_roads)
    19:19:34.698 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Aztecs, large_town -> castle, core_building[0](wooden_pallisade) -> core_castle_building[1](wooden_castle)
    19:19:34.698 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Aztecs, large_town -> castle, core_building[1](wooden_wall) -> core_castle_building[2](castle)
    19:19:34.698 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Aztecs, large_town -> castle, port[0](port) -> castle_port[0](c_port)
    19:19:34.698 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Aztecs, large_town -> castle, hinterland_roads[0](roads) -> hinterland_castle_roads[0](c_roads)
    19:19:34.698 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: The Aztecs, large_town -> castle, hinterland_mines[0](mines) -> hinterland_castle_mines[0](c_mines)

I fixed the can_sap and sea invasions randomness in descr_sm_factions.

I tried to test out the mod, and it definitely crashes on the mongol/timurid invasions. It does so on just the warning part, before any units are spawned, since it happens even when I take out the part of the script that actually spawns armies. I also looked through campaign script really thoroughly, and doubt the error is in there. My best guess is it's most likely lurking in descr_strat, though idk how, since the mongol faction setup seems to be correct. Could the order of factions matter somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by Delphor View Post
    I fixed the can_sap and sea invasions randomness in descr_sm_factions.

I tried to test out the mod, and it definitely crashes on the mongol/timurid invasions. It does so on just the warning part, before any units are spawned, since it happens even when I take out the part of the script that actually spawns armies. I also looked through campaign script really thoroughly, and doubt the error is in there. My best guess is it's most likely lurking in descr_strat, though idk how, since the mongol faction setup seems to be correct. Could the order of factions matter somehow?
    Have checked the unpacked M2TW data/ui files and there's no mongol invasion pics in southern_european / eventpics folder or in any of the DLC folders.
    I believe if they can't be found in southern_european folder they should default to the northern_european folder, but it wouldn't hurt to stick them in the relevant folder in the kgcm mod.

I did add it back in to the relevant folders and it still crashed. I will keep trying for a solution until I run out of desperate ideas lmao.

Turns out it was the historic_events.txt file not having the mongol or timurid invasions. I replaced the file and with some more events I was experimenting around with just in case those are needed too. Here is an updated link with a few changes and the fix:

EDIT: Please scroll down for the newest working link.
    Last edited by Delphor; April 11, 2023 at 01:19 AM.

Have started over with your new upload. It seems cavalry are nearly impervious to missiles. In a couple sieges I threw loads of javelins at a general's bodyguard, but nothing. Blasted them with bolts, too. I tried a custom battle with 8 retinue longbowmen vs 1 merchant cavalry militia and general's bodyguard. The longbows were only able to pick off a few of the militia cav (maybe 9), and the bodyguard was unharmed. The enemy cav even politely slowly walked almost the entire way before reaching my line.

Other than that, I'm on around turn 50, and everything seems to be ok. The Moors' armies seem to be fine and balanced. I haven't been able to start the capture timer on a town square during any siege battles of multiple city/castle levels, but I think that's ok. It would be problematic if I was defending, and I decided to cheese it by running light cavalry around the edge of the map 'till the battle timer ends.

Also I brought 3 catapults against a stone castle wall (the first level of stone wall). They brought a section of wall down very quickly. I feel like the wall and tower health could be buffed a little bit (I'm personally thinking about doubling it in my copy). And maybe the rate of fire from arrow towers could be turned down just a bit, even if you wanted to make the damage stronger to compensate.

Overall I'm still enjoying my time with this mod.
    Last edited by Watchful48; April 07, 2023 at 08:28 AM.