Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod 5.0 - Steam compatible

Default Re: Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod 5.0 - Steam compatible

No clue if this is related to this mod, but when i lay siege to a low unit garrison, the enemy magically gets 10+ high quality units. This only happeneds when i lay siege to it the first time. Any help on fixing that?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Vandred View Post
    No clue if this is related to this mod, but when i lay siege to a low unit garrison, the enemy magically gets 10+ high quality units. This only happeneds when i lay siege to it the first time. Any help on fixing that?
    That will be a garrison script and is intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphor View Post
    Is 'high sea' just that extra dark red splotch in map_ground_types? Could I copy that color from base medieval 2 total war's map_ground_types and use it in the tga for kgcm to add back in the 'high sea' to keep the ai from drifting over there (I realize it will keep the player from doing it too).
    Correct - you can copy that color from vanilla and use it in kgcm to create a barrier, only ships with the 'high sea' attribute (see in descr_ships) can cross that one. Then delete map.rwm in kgcm to generate a new file. That new map.rwm needs to be added to your patch.

Is there a way to remove it? it makes some campaigns pretty hard in the beginning

Blog Entries

It can be changed by removing it from the campaign script, but why don't you try and live up to the challenge, now that you know it and can be prepared? It's prime reason is to avoid early 'rushes'...

Pleased to see people are still working on this.

TBH I had completely forgotten I'd been testing this a few years ago.
    (Combination of dealing with RL issues and Long Covid I suspect, and just getting old.)

I'll try downloading and giving the mod and the various recent sub-mods / patches a go.

Sure i will, just a quick question, does the enchanced garrison script decay over time and eventually stop after some turns or is it here all game?

I'm pretty sure how the garrison script works is that most (if not all) of a faction's starting settlements spawn units upon being sieged, and then a timer for about 10(?) turns occurs before that settlement can spawn more defenders. If a faction expands beyond its starting settlements, those settlements, for the most part, will not be able to spawn a garrison. For example, Egypt cannot spawn a garrison in London. The script is present for the whole game, but it is much more manageable in mid-game.

If you want to remove the script, it is quite straightforward. Or you can just view it as the mod authors not wanting you to steamroll other factions early game. It's not a perfect solution, but it does help factions from being wiped out before they reach their potential. Personally, I prefer a more tame version of the script.
    Last edited by Watchful48; February 06, 2023 at 03:38 PM.

TBH I hate it but I'll leave it in the primary release since that seems to be what's intended. Besides the primary mod I might release a second version with a few enhancements that aren't part of the original mod.

Good luck lol. It's playable but definitely a not insignificant number of bugs I'm slowly fixing.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; February 07, 2023 at 01:36 AM. Reason: posts merged

Blog Entries

The ideal garrison script times out after a set number of turns (see code) - after all the prime reason is to stop steam rolling in the beginning.
    Code:
    if I_TurnNumber > [your choice of turn number here]
        terminate_monitor
    end_if

^That sounds perfect! I don't think the mod currently has that in the script. If that were to be added I think it would be nice to have one of those pop-up events occur at the beginning turn of a campaign, explaining the script and when it will end (and maybe any other features). Then maybe another pop-up on the turn it does end.

It must be possible to tie in siege spawns with wall levels (or any other building)? Often I've felt guilty over cheesing an empty or almost-empty city. That might be a sub-mod I'd like to create after Delphor releases the next updated version.
    Last edited by Watchful48; February 07, 2023 at 12:41 AM.

That would be awesome to have added in, i'm currently playing as Wales and it's just so hard to get any settlement now on the British Isles, since you need almost 2 stacks of units to take an English settlement and Wales just doesn't have the economy for supporting 2 armies. After turn 43 and still having three settlements it can get abit tedious, granted i could sail to the mediterainian and take some rebel settlements there.

I got this mod specifically to be able to play as Wales, haha. I agree it was very frustrating playing as them. Thus, I started over with the reduced garrison script, which is a sub-mod somewhere around here. I also tried a campaign with it removed entirely, but I preferred the former, since the ai is always leaving their cities mostly undefended.

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Delphor View Post
    TBH I hate it but I'll leave it in the primary release since that seems to be what's intended. Besides the primary mod I might release a second version with a few enhancements that aren't part of the original mod.

Good luck lol. It's playable but definitely a not insignificant number of bugs I'm slowly fixing.
    I'm interested to hear the new enhancements in the second version that you are planning.

Trying an English campaign with the v5.00 plus 5.0.2 patch.
    Even on normal difficulty and with the garrison script removed, the economy is so tight that steamrolling anyone isn't going to happen, especially as it seems the game is setup to ensure england gets attacked by a coalition of scots, welsh, irish and french.

One strangeness which may be a vanilla bug. is that the AI using a catapult across a wooden town wall seems to get to 90% damage to a section and then moves on.
    I had a wall with four 90% damaged sections and no fully damaged sections. Don'y know what controls that but it seems odd behaviour.

Update
    -------

Gave up on the English campaign, simply couldn't recruit anough defenders to withstand continuous attacks from 4 factions.

So tried the Scots - much easier to play, you can get an alliance with the Irish, take out the Norwegian settlement of Wick and rebel Castle Town and then set about the English.

More strangeness - When the Irish captured Lancaster 9 priests and a Cardinal emerged. Can't imagine why the english were recruiting so many priests. (Prior to that the English abandoned Ireland, I saw them move a large stack out to attack the Welsh, so leaving their Irish settlements practically undefended.) The Welsh defeated them and captured th western settlements.
    Last edited by Used2BRoz; February 08, 2023 at 05:05 PM.

Maybe a higher 'King's Purse' would help the English. Or more developed settlements.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchful48 View Post
    Maybe a higher 'King's Purse' would help the English. Or more developed settlements.
    Indeed. I checked the descr_strat to see what the baseline kng's purse was for england and they get precisely NOTHING, not single denarii.
    (This also applies to hre and byzantium.)
    Personally I prefer factions to have the same KP and starting money and see how the game goes from there.

Also looking in the descr_strat the faction_creator lines seem messed up in places.
    Is there any reason why a faction shouldn't be a faction_creator if it starts the game in control of it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Watchful48 View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out.
    Seems confusing.

From observation in game I normally see :
    1) If a faction is destroyed any remaining settlements of the faction revolt to rebel/slave control irrespective of who the faction_creator is.
    2) If a settlement revolts due to public order issues it usually reverts to the faction_creator faction unless it was controlled by the faction_creator when it revolts then it revolts to slave/rebel.
    3) Rebel held settlements never revolt.
    4) Factions don't reappear if there is a revolt in one of their original cities that had been captured by a different faction. These revolt to rebel / slave (unless it had a different faction_creator ?)
    5) Slave/rebel faction cannot be the faction_creator.

so i'm inclined to suggest that all faction held settlements at the start of the game have their faction as faction_creator

In other news I'm playing as England with all factions start money set at 10000 denari, and kings_purse at 2000 denari.
    Still a struggle but at least you usually can do something each turn like repair settlements, rebuild units etc.
    Last edited by Used2BRoz; February 12, 2023 at 08:46 AM.

I was looking in the export_descr_unit file and am a bit confused by stat_charge_dist. I read the guide on export_descr_unit, which says stat_charge_dist is the distance at which a unit charges. I've found when I change the value so 1 unit's is 30, and the other's is 15 (the rest of the stat values being made the same), the unit with 30 absolutely destroys the one with 15. Is there a reason this happens? Shouldn't they both charge and get their bonus at some point before impact in either case? Does the charge build in strength the longer it goes on? Trying to understand that stat as I work on the rebalance tweaks.

Perhaps the unit with a stat_charge_dist of 15 does not have enough time to complete a charge and attack animation? Are they able to swing their weapon at the same point of impact as the unit with a value of 30? Have you tried seeing what happens with higher values, such as 20/40, 30/50?

Tried to help by looking up some answers, but found nothing relevant.